Samantha
Devoted May 2014

I think I am ready to talk about this- My dress experience.

Samantha, on April 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 81
Saved Save

So I have been avoiding talking about this for two days now because it still makes me really upset. I went to David's Bridal to look at some dresses (my wedding is a little over a year away but people said that if you have to order a dress it could take up to 8 months). Well she measured me and brought over some dresses in my size. So I tried on the 3 that she brought me but I didn't like those ones so I asked to see their catalog and see if there was any online that I might like when to my surprise she commented "Maybe you should consider losing some weight and come back when you have done so"

My mom was with me and I am not sure if she said anything to the woman because I got up and left immediately. I was on the verge of tears and didn't want them to see me cry.

I haven't spoken with my mom about it since and this is the first time I have said anything to anyone, I haven't even told FW about it.

Just needed to vent.

81 Comments

• MrsO
    Master May 2012
    MrsO ·
    • Flag

Girl, you need to file a report with corporate about that Bitch. That is wrong on so many levels and I'm sorry that your first dress buying experience consisted of that.

• D1
    Master October 2013
    D1 ·
    • Flag

I think you ought to vent to her manager and corporate. She needs to be fired. She was completely out of line.

Sorry you had this experience.

• Tia AJ
    Expert April 2014
    Tia AJ ·
    • Flag

Wow, what an insensitive and unprofessional consultant...I'm sorry you had to go through that.

• MissB
    VIP May 2013
    MissB ·
    • Flag

OMG I am so sorry that happened to you I would demand to speak to a supervisor and I would have smacked a biotch before I left. Honey hang in there!

• Joanna
    Super September 2010
    Joanna ·
    • Flag

Sadly, DB is a hit or miss. I went into one to try on some dresses for me and said I'd never go back....

although we did end up ordering my BM dresses from there..

• KellyT
    Master August 2014
    KellyT ·
    • Flag

I am so sorry that happened to you. How awful Smiley sad I agree that you should file a complaint with the manager of the store. No bride should have that experience while dress shopping.

• J&B
    Master September 2013
    J&B ·
    • Flag

That's horrible. I hope you find your perfect dress somewhere else!

• Goodbye
    VIP October 2014
    Goodbye ·
    • Flag

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience!

Personally I think you should talk to your mom, see if she said anything to the consultant/manager and if not, I would go speak to the manager in person and express how the consultant made you feel and how unhappy you are with the service you received.

• christine seitz
    December 2019
    christine seitz ·
    • Flag

Definitely a call to corporate is in order. They are trained not to do that!

• KristnH
    Master November 2013
    KristnH ·
    • Flag

Wow, I'm so sorry! What a horrible person!

I would have to agree with the other ladies about speaking with a supervisor or someone in corporate about that consultant. That is rude and unprofessional! Even if she thought something like that she should have the brain to know she shouldn't say it!

Don't let that experience keep you from going out and finding your dream dress and having a wonderful experience somewhere else!

• Mrsbrown2K19
    Super February 2019
    Mrsbrown2K19 ·
    • Flag

That was unacceptable and very inappropriate I agree with the other ladies she should be reported to management this is supposed to be one of the happiest moments of someone's life and how dare she try to ruin it with an ignorant comment if she does get fired she brought it on herself why would anyone spend their hard earned money with someone or a company that's so classless. Don't worry you will find your perfect dress and have a great experience doing so elsewhere

• Nicole
    Super August 2013
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

I am so sorry that happened to you. I agree with the other ladies, you definitely need to file a complaint. If you don't feel comfortable calling them (I understand emotions might make you choke up), maybe write corporate a letter. But by all means, stand up for yourself. You did not deserve to be spoken to that way.

• Jessica
    Super September 2013
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

How horrible! I am so sorry!

• ashlee
    Master January 2012
    ashlee ·
    • Flag

Um, no. and also, absolutely not.

1. i am SO so sorry that happened to you. size has NOTHING to do with wether or not you should be treated with respect and assisted in trying on wedding dresses.

2. regardless of whether or not your mom said anything, you definitely need to escalate this issue to the store manager, district manager, regional manager and beyond.

3. i have never and would never so much as set foot in a david's bridal - they are like mcdonald's to me. i'm in NYC, so i dont know if maybe there isnt anything else available some places? i dont understand why they are even in business.

i know that is so hurtful, but please - do not let that ruing this special time for you.

• Tara
    Expert November 2013
    Tara ·
    • Flag

I am so sorry that woman was so rude and disrespectful to you. I agree you need to report her to the manager and she should be fired!!

• Katie L
    Expert June 2013
    Katie L ·
    • Flag

Oh WOAH! That is completely uncalled for not only from a personal working retail and in customer service but as a HUMAN! No person has that right so put anyone down and I'm so so so sorry you were on the receiving end of that comment.

Please do not take what they said to heart. Everyone has the right to be treated with respect and that was completely wrong of her.

• Mrs. DooPwee
    VIP May 2013
    Mrs. DooPwee ·
    • Flag

People are so inappropriate.

Sorry you went through that.

I would ask to have her as an attendant and request the manager. I'd tgen confront her in the presence of the manager and make the manager aware of the complaint you've made to hq.

Once again, I'm sorry you were subject to awful service.

• Over the Top♥
    Master June 2013
    Over the Top♥ ·
    • Flag

Hater. I bet you looked fabulous.

• Samantha
    Devoted May 2014
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

****Update on the situation.****

Thank you all for your support!

I did go out and talk to my mom about what happened and that I wanted to file a corporate complaint. She said my dad already e-mailed them that day and received a call back the very next morning from someone who apologized deeply for my experience and wanted me to know that the do not discriminate on anyone under any circumstance.

In exchange for the treatment I received, they said I could go to another store (about 30 miles from my house) where they have a larger plus size selection, she would notify a consultant there of the situation and I would get $250 off any dress I choose.

I don't think I want to go back there at all but I don't know where else to look for dresses.

• Samantha
    Devoted May 2014
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

Haha Lynzey your comment made me laugh.

Comment on this discussion