Official Mrs.K
Devoted May 2019

i love my fiancé but.......

Official Mrs.K, on April 4, 2019 at 8:25 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 52
Saved Save
He can be so stubborn. We just got into one of our very few arguments about his groomsmen gifts. We are 30 days out from the wedding and I have already purchased gifts for my bridesmaids, ring bearers, flower girls, and both sets of parents. I have been reminding him over the past 6 months that he needs to think of ideas for his groomsmen. Tonight I mentioned that we need to nail this down so we can get them ordered and he said he is not getting them gifts. He said that purchasing their shirts and suspenders for the wedding is enough. I said that is not a gift, it is what we are expecting them to wear, plus we already passed those out and plan to hand out all other gifts at the rehearsal dinner. His argument is that he didn’t get a gift in the last wedding he was in and when I remind him that they bought his entire suit and shoes for the wedding he points out that it shouldn’t count if I won’t count his shirts/suspenders. I see his point but the reality is that I do not feel comfortable with not getting them something.

Does anyone have suggestions?? I told him I had to go and vent about him on Wedding Wire so hopefully one of you can help me talk some sense into him or help me come up with a brilliant idea. For reference another wedding he was in got personalized/engraved hunting knives so that’s a no go. He also is against flasks of any kind as his parents don’t drink and tries not to flaunt that we do.

Thank you!!!

52 Comments

• ASMini914
    Super September 2019
    ASMini914 ·
    • Flag

I would just go on Etsy and order some generic things that guys would like - like a flask or y9ou can even just gift them all a bottle of their favorite liquor. Or maybe you can suggest to your FH that he get them all some cigars or something?

• Jordan
    Expert September 2019
    Jordan ·
    • Flag
    Flask, pocket watch, bottle of booze...men are easy
  • ASMini914
    Super September 2019
    ASMini914 ·
    • Flag

Also I just read your part about no flasks ha my bad! Perhaps you can have him gift them something like a whisky decanter? FH got one in a wedding and he loves it.

• KiwiDerbyBride
    VIP May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride ·
    • Flag
    Tell him that he will look stingy and thoughtless when everyone except his groomsmen get gifts at the rehearsal dinner. I don’t have any brilliant gift ideas though - sorry!
  • Official Mrs.K
    Devoted May 2019
    Official Mrs.K ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol I know it’s hard. Booze is the easiest gift to get for guys but it’s just a weird situation with his parents and I think he would feel uncomfortable getting anything alcohol related as gifts for his guys.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    I saw these super cool ice chest/stool combo on etsy. If they're outdoorsy, like to tailgate, or just for backyard parties, I think it could be neat.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/245559892/personalized-cooler-chair-cooler-chair?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=groomsmen+gift&ref=sc_gallery-1-14&plkey=37ed7442aed5a1c488704a9b33ebbcf9d556b805%3A245559892&bes=1
  • ASMini914
    Super September 2019
    ASMini914 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

See what he thinks about cigars! Those are like a classic guy gift, he can match it up with a nice cutter and lighter. I feel like this is something guys typically do while drinking, but doesn't necessarily include alcohol.

• Kristen
    VIP April 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag
    Custom money clips, Dopp kit bags, tumblers, Brumate drink cooler, tie clip, watch.... there are a lot of good non-alcohol related options Smiley smile FH is probably doing a brumate can cooler and snacks
  • CDickman
    VIP September 2019
    CDickman ·
    • Flag
    Tell him how awkward and weird his groomsman would feel when everyone else gets a gift and not them..
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    I've also seen really nice toiletries bags, wallets, and duffel bags.
  • Destiny
    Rockstar May 2020
  • M
    Devoted July 2019
    Miranda ·
    • Flag
    I think we are going with a nice cooler and a personalized yeti can koozie.
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    You can never go wrong ordering yeti cups. Shipping is fast.
  • Future Mrs.greenwood
    Expert September 2019
    Future Mrs.greenwood ·
    • Flag
    Wow I have the same situation smh I don’t even know where to start ... I will chime in later I’ve been putting OT and I am swamped ... stay tune
  • Vanessasaurus
    VIP June 2019
    Vanessasaurus ·
    • Flag
    FH bought them their shoes, ties, and shirts for the wedding and then engraved pocket watches from Etsy as more of the “gift” part! I can see your frustration but honestly it’s so hard to predict what men will be into! My FH was really excited about the gifts part but he was basically useless when it came to the invitation process!
  • Yoice
    Rockstar March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I think it looks bad if he doesn’t but that’s kind of his decision at the end of the day. I personally would take over myself because some of the groomsman might not notice but the once who do might just see it rude coming from both of you not just him. So don’t wait for him and just buy it yourself.
    Husband and I gave his groomsman cufflinks among other things. They were not personalize but they were all based on their hobby preference. One was a baseball plate with a ball on top, another was a set of chess, the other a set of cards and the last one was fishing rod. Based on it you can clearly tell what they each like and do as a hobby and they LOVED it!
  • Yoice
    Rockstar March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    Also you do not need to open presents on during rehearsal. I had my girls open them while getting ready with the photographer. It made some good pictures. Same as for the guys. With our parents we just had a private moment and gave it to them.
  • F
    Devoted June 2019
    F ·
    • Flag
    Just buy them something you want them to have. I purchased watches for the groomsmen because FH was taking his sweet little time.
  • Trista
    VIP September 2019
    Trista ·
    • Flag
    Watches, sunglasses, to go cases, hydroflasks, beard kits, fun socks, fancy sodas, etc. Good luck!
  • Official Mrs.K
    Devoted May 2019
    Official Mrs.K ·
    • Flag
    Thanks for all of the suggestions ladies! I think the biggest hurdle will be getting him to agree to gifts at all! But I guess I will just have to show him that I can be stubborn too Smiley winking

I think I might pick two ideas from your suggestions above and make him pick one. Wish me luck!!

Comment on this discussion