Kate
Just Said Yes July 2018

I just sent save the dates and now my venue might burn

Kate, on Dec 7, 2017 at 7:13 PM Posted in Planning

We just sent save the dates and paid a lot of the deposits to vendors... the venue is in between Ventura and Santa Barbara. The fire is approaching the venue according to the maps I'm finding. My plan B venue (friends parents vineyard, not their house) has for sure fully burned.

Of course lives and homes matter most but I'm getting really anxious. I don't think we can afford a different venue and I don't know if I could change location and keep my vendors. I feel petty for even thinking of my wedding at a time like this.

Anyone else deal with natural disasters in the planning phase?

Share:

14 Comments

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

Um....did you buy wedding insurance?

• Rosered
    Devoted January 2019
    Rosered ·

A bunch of people were dealing with that due to the hurricanes this past year. I'm sorry it is adding more stress.

• Amanda
    Just Said Yes September 2018
    Amanda ·

In my contract with my venue there is a section on "Force majeure" which means "act of God" or force of nature and that both parties (the venue and us) aren't responsible for anything. Not sure if we would get deposit back but that would be all we lose. Maybe look into your contract. Also I would reach out the venue to see if they have a plan if they do get hit by the fire. I am so sorry that you are in that area and dealing with the fires. On the news it looks extremely scary!

• Nicole
    Dedicated August 2018
    Nicole ·

I'm in La Mesa and these fires are nerve wracking! All I can say at this point is pray!

• FutureMrsM
    Super July 2018
    FutureMrsM ·

For one, I really hope your venue ends up ok. I'm in Houston and dealing with the hurricane while trying to plan a wedding was a huge setback so I understand how nerve wrecking this could be. Just know it's not the end of the world and things out of our control happen. You'll live

• L
    Just Said Yes March 2018
    Laura ·

We had to move our wedding following Hurricane Irma this fall and we had just sent invitations. It was incredibly stressful at the time but it's calmed down since then. We were able to get refunds from everything we had paid a deposit on but we didn't contact places for refunds for several weeks so they had some time to deal with what had happened. To be honest we are even more excited for our Plan B than we were for our Plan A!

• Leila
    Super October 2017
    Leila ·

Hugs

• Beachy
    VIP November 2017
    Beachy ·

Just breathe and deal with it as it happens.

I was displaced from my venue due to the hurricane. I rebooked everything and had a beautiful wedding 2 mos after it on my original date.

• SpringBride2018
    Super April 2018
    SpringBride2018 ·

Make sure you have wedding insurance and read over your contracts. You can't control this one so try not to stress. Wishing you all the best, stay safe!

• LillyBean17
    Master October 2017
    LillyBean17 ·

Praying won't get you wedding insurance.

I wouldn't change anything yet until you see what happens to your venue. You never know. If it does burn, do a JOP ceremony and have a celebration of marriage with guests later on when things have recovered.

• Mrs.Married
    Dedicated September 2017
    Mrs.Married ·

Wedding insurance!

• Kelsey Brielle
    Devoted December 2019
    Kelsey Brielle ·

OP do you have wedding insurance?? I hope that your venue is okay in the end.

Super March 2018
    033118 ·

I'm so sorry- I hate that fire is ravaging so much of our beautiful state.

I absolutely understand why your having anxiety. I'm sure you feel stuck at this point.

Even though your STDs are sent if your plans change your guests will understand.

Hopefully thoughts for you, your vendors and your venue.

• Vicky
    Savvy December 2018
    Vicky ·

What is your venue?

Comment on this discussion