Evelyn
Savvy September 2019

i have a church concern and i need your advice.

Evelyn, on October 16, 2018 at 11:23 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 10
Saved Save
First i submitted my application in the middle of august this year and i haven't from any priest.

Second, Month past by and i haven't received a call. Me and my fiance decided to go to the office in person on a sunday to talk to someone and on the same day we saw the priest and we talked to him.

The priest called me a week later and he scheduled an appointment for us.
On the day of the appointment we got there 5 minutes early and was told by the receptionist that the priest didn't called her and he wasn't in the office and that she hasn't seen him.
We got there for nothing. i started to cry too.

The next day he called me at night giving me his excuses.

Makes me worried and im having doubts already. Iv'e been sad lately.
I already looking for another church.

What should i do ? Do i have a right to feel like that ? Should i look at another church ? Im confused.

10 Comments

• Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    Congratulations 🎊🍾🎈🎉 on your engagement Smiley ring

Yeah, I’d look for another church ⛪

You can try reaching out again but I think you’ve done enough.
  • Evelyn
    Savvy September 2019
    Evelyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you kenisha

Right now he's calling me and i just don't want to go there anymore? should i give him a chance? probably im over thinking ?

• Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You’re welcome Evelyn.

I mean, ultimately that’s up to you. If you want to hear him out then yeah sure go for it. But I think he’s upset you enough that it’s time to move on.
  • J
    Just Said Yes June 2019
    Johanna ·
    • Flag
    Hi Evelyn!
    Priests' schedules are often hectic, since they can be asked at any time to hear a confession or to visit someone who is dying. Church offices in general can be understaffed, so paperwork for a far-off wedding is probably not a priority (after all, a church isn't a business).

I wouldn't overthink it or be discouraged. If you find another church you like, go for it! Otherwise, just be sure to stay in contact with this church, make sure they're available for your date, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • A
    Dedicated December 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Find a different church. Something similar happened to us where the church I always dreamed of being married in has an interim pastor that did not seem too excited about having to officiate a wedding. After a lot of thought we ended up going with a different church and the pastor is so kind and excited to make our day absolutely perfect.
  • Lesly
    Expert February 2019
    Lesly ·
    • Flag
    Hi, we had a similar issue. Our church the priest called us once and we returned the called 3 times and no answer. So we proceeded with another church. Don’t feel doubtful, you will find another church and still have a beautiful ceremony. Smiley smile
  • latasha
    VIP September 2019
    latasha ·
    • Flag
    I would say find another church if your heart isn’t dead set on this one.
  • Mrs Robes
    Devoted October 2018
    Mrs Robes ·
    • Flag
    I would say if you are upset with this church and there are other options near you, it doesn’t hurt to be open to other churches. For us, we had a hard time finding a church that we didn’t belong to, to agree to us, so our options were extremely limited. Luckily we did find one 15 minutes from our venue. At first, communication was difficult. Emails and phone calls went unresponded to for weeks, but it did get much easier once we actually met face to face. If the priest is actively reaching out to you, maybe just hear him out.
  • NVV2B
    VIP January 2019
    NVV2B ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with all of this. Yes it is rude that they did not call you to reschedule - but for the reasons above, it happens.

I would give them another chance. Other than confirming the date and potentially scheduling counseling sessions, you won't really be in contact with them until the last few months leading up to your wedding.

• Leigh
    Dedicated January 2020
    Leigh ·
    • Flag
    I’m not sure which denomination you are, but definitely if you are Episcopalian or Catholic it can be hard to find a church to marry you if you are a non-member. I would be upset if I were you, but I wouldn’t close off this option unless you’re really confident you can find another church. I’m sorry this is hard!

Comment on this discussion