Nicole
Super October 2013

I hate the social security office *pity party*

Nicole , on September 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice

So, today I went to the social security office to change my name. I waited hours, then they skipped my number, but eventually someone helped me. Except, he told me I can't change my name until I get my work authorization/Green Card. From the visa journey forum I know that some people run into problems but most people get their new card with their new name without problems. Yea well. Not me. I am sad now. Not only did I waste an entire day basically, I am still not officially Mrs. S. care to cheer me up? You're all invited to my pity party.

Share:

18 Comments

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·

That sucks! Can you just go to a different office and see if someone else will help you?

Is it normal that you need a green card? I thought if you were already married to a citizen that was something that helped you GET a green card.....no?

No worry, I'm sure you are a-very nice!

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·

(That was supposed to be my Borat voice. H starts talking like Borat when he's trying to make me laugh.)

• Nicole
    Super October 2013
    Nicole ·

Thanks Kris. You and Borat cheered me up. It is a long painful process to get a green card. Once you are married to a US citizen, you have to file for change of status and work authorization and he needs to file for you too, basically stating you are his spouse and he will take care of you. Once all of the papers are filed, the waiting begins. You need to go in to get your biometrics taken, then at some point you get your work authorization and thennnn they send you an invitation to the green card interview that you have to pass. They want to make sure you are married for the right reasons. You have to provide proof that you share a bond, i.e. pictures, joint lease and bank account, etc. I am not worried about that but it all takes forever, and is expensive. Boo!

• Trista
    VIP September 2012
    Trista ·

Sorry you're having such an ordeal with this =(

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·

I will join you in your despise and hatred of SSA any day. And double it.

But unfortunately you can't be Mrs. S anyway. Because that's me.

How long do you have to wait for the green card?

• Pan
    Master March 2012
    Pan ·

Shrug. The process is the process. I know it's frustrating, but you can't really fault them. There's too much identity theft, and fraud and if it was easy it'd be easier for criminals to commit fraud. On the bright side once you get everything done, you don't have to deal with them very often.

• Nicole
    Super October 2013
    Nicole ·

Pan, I don't have a problem with the Green Card process, I just want the stupid SSA to change the name on the card that I already have so I can go ahead and get my DL with the new name etc.

Mrs. S. I wouldn't dare to steal your identity. I'll keep my G as middle name anyway. But yes. Damn that SSA double!

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·

A friend of mine recently had the same problem. It seems (I have no idea if that's true, but it seems to be the case) that they have recently changed the regulations. So that you need to get something official from USCIS first, and then they will change the name.

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·

I think what bugs me about any customer service type encounter is the inconsistency. Whether it's having to call your wireless carrier 5 times and getting 5 different answers to the same question, or having the USPS charge you two different postage prices for the same piece of mail. I used to help clients troubleshoot SSI or disability benefits and I know SSA is wicked inconsistent, especially when you call. But anytime you talk to someone there they act like what they're saying is actually the law, even if they're misinterpreting it. (Different department but still.)

Sooooooo frustrating!!!

• Nicole
    Super October 2013
    Nicole ·

That's quite possible. I just don't see the point. On my F1 it says I am working for the school. Um, I am? Well, I am not. So I don't have proof of employment obviously. Anyway, I need to wait until I get my work authorization but then I won't need a proof of employment. So apparently, I have a work authorization for the school but need proof of employment to get a new SS card. But if I have the WO from the state, I won't need the proof? Yea. That makes sense. -.- but it is what it is. But to answer your question, anywhere between 4 months and 9 months or so. Sometimes longer. This is why we started it now so we don't run into problems with the DW.

• Nicole
    Super October 2013
    Nicole ·

@Kris: Exactly my point. How can I be wrong for wanting what others got? They are just a bunch of morons. There, I said it.

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·

Yeah, SSA always makes perfect sense. And they're also friendly, warm and fuzzy. Like a kitten, for example.

@Kris, who won in Kris&H vs. AT&T?

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·

Nah, they're not a bunch of morons, they're just really poorly and inconsistently trained and they have crappy middle managers who misinterpret stuff and teach them to do things the wrong way.

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·

Ugh, Mrs S, I still don't know. H was supposed to receive 2 emails from AT&T confirming the phone orders we placed, and he had to log on through the emails to confirm those, but he never got them and there's no history of any orders placed through AT&T. But, they charged his CC for the Iphones.

He wanted me to call back today and I said no. I don't have the strength. Friday night I was literally hanging out of our 4th floor window smoking a cigarette after hour 3.

• Mrs. S™
    Master October 2011
    Mrs. S™ ·

LOL that's what I do when I have to talk to them. Did they put you on H's plan at least?

• Nicole
    Super October 2013
    Nicole ·

Mrs. S., yes they were so nice (insert sarcasm here). First they skipped my number and when I went to the front desk the woman said she couldn't help me because she wasn't able to see the numbers. But when I went there again with the nice officer at the door, not only was she able to see everything, she even personally helped me. Grrrrr.

@Kris: ok, point taken. I used to be a trainer and saw differences in the quality of customer service every day. I think the whole system is just way too complicated in general. So how are they supposed to know what is right and what is wrong. However, it just bugs me that I took a day off for this for nothing.

• Nicole
    Super October 2013
    Nicole ·

@Kris: as for your AT&T issue. I let H do calls like that. He can get very nasty but it helps. I could never pull off what he is pulling off. Just start yelling at them.

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·

Mrs S NO! Allegedly we now have two separate plans, and when we go to the store to activate our phones they will be able to be able to merge our plans together.

I have the customer service rep's ID badge number and email address and she told me to reference her notes in the system in case we get hassled. She had a supervisor working with her on the call and I have his info too. If they don't combine our accounts, heads will effing roll. No effing way did I go through all of this to NOT save any money. That's ridiculous.

Nicole, I don't blame you for not wanting to take a day off for nothing!!!

Comment on this discussion