MrsMorales
VIP September 2015

I found the gown! (and it was nothing like Say Yes to the Dress)

MrsMorales, on December 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 42
Saved Save

I think many people here read my ridiculous dress shopping experiences so, after much ado and about 50 gowns, I purchased mine finally!

The story is a bit different than the usual "I went to the boutique, I knew it was the one, and I bought it...and I loved it 8 months later". I WISH it would've been that way to keep me from pulling my hair out and stressing eating fudge.

I first tried on this gown back in October during a trip to Chicago for my Matron of Honor's baby shower. My Matron of Honor, my mom and I went dress shopping which lead a nightmare experience of basically not being able to get into any of their teeny tiny samples and being SO embarrassed until they lead me into a "plus size" room of 15 samples which were 10 or more sizes larger on me (you can read the entire saga here: http://singlegirlineverybodysweddingworld.blogspot.com/2014/11/wedding-dress-saga-part-ii-saying-no-to.html )

***continued***

42 Comments

• MrsMorales
    VIP September 2015
    MrsMorales ·
    • Flag

I actually tried my dress on right there in that room, with tears streaming down my face in embarrassment still. The sample was so big that they had it clamped every place possible. I couldn’t even see the beauty in the dress with all of the turmoil.

Fast forward to earlier this month, I was at a boutique in Scottsdale trying to find a dress and I saw MY dress on the mannequin front and center in the store. I had them pull it and it was a size small, but I was able to wedge myself into enough to know that maybe I should have given this dress a chance previously. However, with a $4700 price tag, I wasn’t ready to make any rash decisions after I had come this far in the process.

After a couple more boutique visits, I couldn’t even find a dress I wanted to try on. Nothing seems to top the dress I had already left behind twice. I started thinking about it more and more….having dreams about it…and a week later, I knew I had to have MY dress.

I hit the internet just to make sure I wasn’t being ripped off by an upscale bridal boutique (I always price check on all things in life) and just happened to find MY dress in MY size as a sample, on sale, at a bridal store in Idaho (of all places?) for $1200. If I paid in full up front, they would give me a two day grace period to decide if I wanted the dress ….and if not, would allow me to return it for only the cost of shipping and a $30 restocking fee.

So, I did it. I bought the sample. And she got here Friday. I took it immediately to my seamstress who quoted me about $400 in minor alterations (I need the bodice taken in all around my waist and bust).

So, I present, MY DRESS. Finally! And for a great deal….it is in pristine condition. And in my hands. No waiting. Paid for in full. I could not be happier in this turn of events. It might not be the typical “Say Yes to the Dress” story, but certainly is quite the story.

• SnappyLove2015
    VIP April 2015
    SnappyLove2015 ·
    • Flag

You look gorgeous!! You aren't plus size at all!! Jerks! I felt the same way and sounds like we had the same experience.

• OG FMP
    Master August 2015
    OG FMP ·
    • Flag

Stunning!! Looks so good on you!

• Diseanna
    Expert May 2015
    Diseanna ·
    • Flag

Its gorgeous and so are you!! so happy shes finally yours!!

• Janeen
    Master January 2015
    Janeen ·
    • Flag

Wow the detail is great! Love it!

• L + R
    Master September 2014
    L + R ·
    • Flag

It's gooooorrrgeous! You look wonderful in it!

• MrsMorales
    VIP September 2015
    MrsMorales ·
    • Flag

I can't believe how well it actually fits because I have yet to try any dress that was like "oh, you'll need minor alterations". It was meant to be! It also helps that the bridal salon who had the dress sewed in a bustle so it wouldn't be damaged in the showroom. Money saving, errrrrwhere.

• Kristin
    Expert August 2015
    Kristin ·
    • Flag

Dress Twin! It looks AMAZING on you!!! Good job on getting an amazing deal on it too.

• Now I'm Mrs. L
    VIP April 2015
    Now I'm Mrs. L ·
    • Flag

Beautiful !!!

• MrsMorales
    VIP September 2015
    MrsMorales ·
    • Flag

Thank you all!

Dress Twin! Did you order yours?

• FinallyMrsW
    VIP October 2014
    FinallyMrsW ·
    • Flag

It is a beautiful story very similar to my story haha congrats so much! I know you must be ecstatic!!!

• NaShara and Milton
    VIP May 2015
    NaShara and Milton ·
    • Flag

It was worth the wait!!! Smiley smile

• Nancy Taussig
    February 2020
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Beautiful dress!

• FutureMrsC
    VIP December 2015
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Flag

That's a beautiful dress! I love the sparkle!

• MrsMorales
    VIP September 2015
    MrsMorales ·
    • Flag

@kristin have you talked to them about alterations yet? Mine did say its going to be a bit more expensive than the usual dress because of the intricate beading and layering.

• Lucy
    Master April 2015
    Lucy ·
    • Flag

Gorgeous dress !

• Margaret
    Master September 2015
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

Its beautiful. I am so glad you were able to find your dream dress at such a good price. Makes all the craziness leading up to it worth it I hope?

• Vivian M.
    Savvy November 2014
    Vivian M. ·
    • Flag

Gorgeous dress, you look beautiful!!!! Love the beading …. and you're not a plus size at all!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous.

• soontobeamrs
    VIP July 2015
    soontobeamrs ·
    • Flag

What a pretty dress. Great you found what you loved and were able to save so much money

• MrsMorales
    VIP September 2015
    MrsMorales ·
    • Flag

I use to be plus sized for real and lost 100 pounds. Its just so screwy how the bridal industry makes women feel horrible about their bodies by forcing them into dresses that don't fit, samples that run small for the size, etc. I just don't understand who came up with the idea that they will make more profit (I asssume that's the goal for bridal boutiques) if they make people feel HORRIBLE about their bodies before they spend heaps of cash.

That said, David's Bridal has the right idea. I was in there trying on bridesmaid dresses for a wedding that I'm a BM in on July 4th and I got into 8's and 10's and I loved every damn second of it.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics