Bride2Be2018
VIP January 2018

Hurricane Irma fellow Floridian check in...

Bride2Be2018, on September 7, 2017 at 9:22 PM Posted in Planning 0 41
Saved Save

How's everybody doing in Florida? We are in Dania Beach in a Zone B area so need to evacuate. We have boarded up FMILs house in Hollywood and gotten our condo prepped. FMIL got a flight out tomorrow at 7 am to NYC to see family and we are flying out at 8:30 and got the dogs on the flight with us. It's been so stressful trying to get vaccinations and health certificates for them last minute and finding crates for them when all the stores were sold out. I'm a little worried something will happen with the flights and we won't get out. If so we will go up to my brothers house in Jupiter. I'm also super nauseous about leaving my parents and the rest of my family behind. I'm sick about my friends that will still be here. I'm sick about the livestock that won't make it. What about the homeless people? Ugh I wish I could say I'm handling this with grace but I have never been so anxious in my life. I'm sure there are other people that are handling this better but I not one of them.

41 Comments

• mainegrl
    Devoted September 2017
    mainegrl ·
    • Flag

We are in Port St Lucie. We are boarded up and hunkering down. We are headed to Maine as soon as this is over to get married on the 23rd. Super stressed out, but I feel as prepared as I can be. Stay safe!!

• Ellsy62
    Master October 2017
    Ellsy62 ·
    • Flag

Oh no!!! Im so sorry! I would be anxious too. Thank God you found crates and got the dogs situated. Safe travels and good luck with e everything

• Bride2Be2018
    VIP January 2018
    Bride2Be2018 ·
    • Flag

@Mainegirl be safe! Sounds like you are prepared!! Hoping the power doesn't get blasted for too long after the storm.

• Katie
    Devoted March 2018
    Katie ·
    • Flag

We're in Palm Bay and I'm pretty sure we're going to be staying. I want to leave but FH and FFIL who have lived here for much longer don't plan on it. We've got water, food, extra batteries and other supplies but no way of boarding up windows. FH and I live in an apartment complex on the 2nd floor of a 2 story building and the apartment office only just told us today that we were even allowed to board up windows.

I hope for the best for all of you, please stay safe!

• Erin
    Super October 2018
    Erin ·
    • Flag

We are in Tampa so we are bunkering down because our area isn't under evacuation yet. Tonight FH and I bought gummy bears and vodka. Hopefully that will keep us entertained if the power goes out! Prayers for all!

• AC
    Devoted September 2021
    AC ·
    • Flag

We are in broward county also. No mandatory evacuation in my area but very worried. I work on healthcare so I'm on call... can't go too far anyway. Praying and hoping for the best.

• Letti Hernandez
    November 2019
    Letti Hernandez ·
    • Flag

@AC - My mom is in panic mode. They are now saying 50 miles north of Miami for landfall at category 4. That's Broward County which is Ft. Lauderdale. That would be a direct hit where my brother and SIL are. They are emergency response team workers he's a cop she's a nurse they have to stay, they did get their daughter out though with some friends leaving. My sister and a ton of uncles, aunts, niece, nephew and cousins all live in that area also, some are going to ride it out. Idiots if you ask me.

• CEH15
    Devoted April 2018
    CEH15 ·
    • Flag

In st. Augustine, we are going to stay here. The roads are a madhouse and there's hardly any gas to be found. I'm scared we would get stuck on the highway somewhere. We are far enough from water (despite being in a mandatory evacuation zone) and don't have many trees around our townhouse. We are worried about windows shattering but we have rooms in the house that don't have windows and will take shelter there if necessary. We couldn't fly anywhere because of two large dogs and a cat. The latest report shows the eye wall going straight over is. Prayers for everyone.

• Letti Hernandez
    November 2019
    Letti Hernandez ·
    • Flag

CEH15 - Do what my brother did. Board up windows both inside and out. Glass will then be trapped as long as boards hold.

• Miss.MtoMrs..K
    Master October 2016
    Miss.MtoMrs..K ·
    • Flag

I'm in NJ but my entire family is in Miami. I'm extremely worried for their safety. Also my mom is sitting at an airport trying to go back to Miami as she is worried about my grandparents who had to leave their apartment because of protocol (old folk home). If she can't leave she will have to come back to my house but she is super stressed. Luckily her other half has taken my grandparents to his home so that's a plus. I feel so helpless and not being able to do a thing has my anxiety at all time high. I hope everyone can stay safe!! Prayers!!!

• Mary
    Expert October 2017
    Mary ·
    • Flag

We live in Port St. Lucie and are currently in bumper to bumper traffic headed northwest. I am not built for hurricanes!!

• Caitlin
    Devoted April 2018
    Caitlin ·
    • Flag

We're in Clearwater. Not in an evacuation zone but FILs are in zone B so if they decide to raise mandatory evacuation zones up they're coming to stay with us. Just happened to need to go grocery shopping before everyone went into panic mode so we're set on food and water as long as the dog food gets delivered tomorrow. Otherwise we're gonna have to make a pet smart run and deal with the belly ache switching food gives the babies.... keeping everyone in my thoughts!

• CEH15
    Devoted April 2018
    CEH15 ·
    • Flag

Letti- there's no wood left, it sold out days ago. We are going to check again tomorrow but everything is gone. I hope your family will be safe, I'll be thinking of them.

• mrsg
    Master September 2017
    mrsg ·
    • Flag

South FL here. We are not on an evacuation zone, so we are staying. Stay safe, everyone.

• FMP
    VIP October 2017
    FMP ·
    • Flag

Fort Lauderdale, FL checking in here! We are staying. House is shuttered up, gas tanks full, water and food on deck. I have to call the alterations shop in Pompano tomorrow because they are holding my dress. I'm going to try to pick it up so it doesn't get damaged... fingers crossed they're open tomorrow! I had a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner because we overstocked on bread lol. I'm so stressed... I drank a glass of wine in one gulp like it was a shot. Praying everyone makes it through safe and sound. I have 2 small children here (1 & 3).. I'm going to clear out the closet under the stairs tomorrow in case we have an emergency (roof blows off, tornado).. but I'm hoping we are gonna be okay.. Smiley sad Were not on the coast, or in a mobile home, or in a flood zone so hopefully we'll pull through.

• S. Suarez
    Super March 2018
    S. Suarez ·
    • Flag

In Tampa & we've got some areas that are recommended to evacuate since they flooded easily. I've got my bags packed, ready to stay at the hospital.

• MrsB
    VIP June 2017
    MrsB ·
    • Flag

I evacuated from South Tampa over the course of yesterday and today. I live in Zone A so voluntary evacuations--I'm wondering if they will make them mandatory as the storm gets closer. We also live in a second floor apartment, but it's surrounded by trees. I'm from Oklahoma; flying trees scare me. Plus, H is overseas and I did NOT want to ride out the storm by myself. This is my first hurricane. We haven't even lived in Florida a year.

I got gas on Tuesday night and made it up to Palm Coast yesterday and then drove the rest of the way to Columbia SC today to stay with a friend. I left REALLY early and managed to find gas along the way, but traffic was awful. My puppy came with me, but now she's in a kennel up here because my friend can't have her at her apartment. I cried when I dropped her off.

I'm pretty sure we'll at least lose one of our cars; I could only drive one so had to leave the other at the apartment complex.

• FutureMrs.L
    Master September 2018
    FutureMrs.L ·
    • Flag

I'm the big yellow dot... Smiley sad

Palm Beach County checking in. We're staying, I feel slightly anxious about it. We had planned on leaving but a few things happened and well, we didn't end up leaving.

We boarded up half the house today, the rest will be done tomorrow. We're heading to my dad's office, which is entirely concrete. They've provided a generator, water and food. So we're truly blessed.

I wasn't able to get one of my medications, so it's been rough. I'm so hopeful the damage isn't as bad as they're saying it will be. I'm supposed to fly out of Ft Lauderdale the 22nd for vacation.

All Florida couples are in my thoughts!

• L
    Just Said Yes December 2017
    L ·
    • Flag

Safety is priority!!

My fiancé and I were supposed to get married on Saturday in Miami. We live there but most of our guests were flying in. On Monday we made the decision to postpone all festivities as this is an Act of God and out of our control and our lives and safety trumps all. It's crazy as you realize what really matters, our life and safety. We planned for the happiest day of our lives for months and now it's a devastating week. Our family and friends have been great, some people had their negative opinions but we can't focus on that as emotions are already haywire. Sending love to you all ??????

• Meghan S.
    Super June 2017
    Meghan S. ·
    • Flag

Jacksonville here. Staying put. I got all the outside stuff either in our shed or in the house. All the gas stations are out of gas, and the stores are running out of stuff. Thankfully I went ahead and stocked up earlier this week.

DH is on a cruise with some friends, that was supposed to get back to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday. They are keeping them out until Tuesday. He drove my car there, so hopefully it survives! So I'll be riding the storm out with my 2 cats!

Comment on this discussion