Aida
Devoted May 2020

How soon is too soon?

Aida, on March 20, 2019 at 12:21 AM Posted in Planning 0 95
Saved Save

Hey guys, I am getting married in May 2020 and, I know, that's like a million years away. But I can't help but want to really start planning. I feel like I need to do this and book that. I had a bridesmaid dress day last weekend and while I was waiting for them to try dresses on, I couldn't help but think why am I doing this now, I have over a year to figure this out. I must look desperate. Anyone else like this too? Or maybe anyone has tips on things I can focus on now to feel productive with actually being productive, if that makes sense.

95 Comments

• Ingrid
    Super October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    The sooner you start planning the better...at least get your venue and budget together. Prices go up yearly and if you lock in rates now you're already ahead of the game....
  • Hattie
    Beginner June 2020
    Hattie ·
    • Flag
    My date is June 2020 and I feel overwhelmed already.. you should start planning now.
  • Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks! I'll work on those ASAP

• Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

What should I be doing now? I'm trying to follow the timeline given on this site and it says not to really do anything until May. I'm just a bit confused as to when I should be doing things in an appropriate fashion.

• Hattie
    Beginner June 2020
    Hattie ·
    • Flag

https://www.perfectweddingguide.com/wedding-blog/index.php/2016/04/18/the-perfect-wedding-planning-checklist/

Let me know if this helps
  • Desiree
    Dedicated April 2020
    Desiree ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is April 26, 2020!

I think the timeline on this app is a bit off in my opinion.

I would definitely book your venue and catering for sure. You can book pretty much anything whenever you want cause most places will do it a year in advance.

Im also starting gathering decor items so that I can get the best deals on stuff, so just grabbing things here and there.

I bought my dress because it was 20% off on Valentine’s Day and we just got our wedding bands the other day because of another good sale!
  • Adrianna
    Devoted June 2020
    Adrianna ·
    • Flag
    My date is June 20, 2020, and I booked almost everything in January - venue and comes with caterer, dj/photobooth, wedding coordinator, photographer/videographer. I just need flowers, cake, and dress which I will do later this year. I just wanted to book vendors that need to be booked early so I got who I wanted
  • Victoria
    Super May 2019
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    We booked our venue around April of last year and are getting married in May. I’d start looking into venues and touring now! Then caterers, photographers, DJs.
    a lot of the vendors we contacted were starting to get booked up, and May is a popular wedding time!
  • Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Dude, thanks so much!! Your advice is super helpful!!

• Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

True. That makes sense. I'm looking at venue this Friday so I'm sure that'll work out. I spoke to someone about a cake and they said to order 6 months beforehand. So I at least have that to go on.

• Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Okay so I think I have it. I'm seeing the venue as being to top priority right now. Which makes sense.

• Desiree
    Dedicated April 2020
    Desiree ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You’re so welcome!!
  • MissSoonToBe
    Expert May 2020
    MissSoonToBe ·
    • Flag
    I’m May 31, 2020 i put deposits on the Photographer, Event Stylist/Florist, Venue & DJ. Me and my girls are going dress shopping in May. It’s NEVER to early but I will say this May & June are prime time for events so you may need to start now to ensure your date is available
  • Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Aww, You're the day after my planned wedding how cool!! I'm (hopefully depending on the venue) May 30th 2020!! Dang, well now I feel under productive lol!!

• Victoria
    Just Said Yes May 2020
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    I’m also getting married in May 2020 and started my planning two weeks ago. My friend told me it’s always never too early to start planning because before you know it Boom it’s your wedding daySmiley smile
  • Katie
    Savvy June 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing the same thing! I feel stressed out because I want to do it all at once but it helped relieve a lot of stress to book them early!
  • Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Cool!! I figured to at least secure the venue.

• Aida
    Devoted May 2020
    Aida ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

LOL as long as it isn't just me. I like want to have the entire wedding booked by this weekend it feels like LOL

• MissSoonToBe
    Expert May 2020
    MissSoonToBe ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No no don’t feel like that. Now is a great time to start. We started early because we also need to find a place to live LOL his apartment is way too small so we have that chore also.
  • Janiya
    Super June 2020
    Janiya ·
    • Flag

It's never too late to start planning! I'm getting married in June of 2020 and so far we have our venue, photography, videography, DJ, photo booth, and honeymoon booked. I would definitely say the first thing is to determine your budget. Next is the venue, and all of the other major vendors. All of the small details like cake, flowers, dress, and decor will come over time as you develop ideas and the look you're going for.

Comment on this discussion