Rebecca
Super December 2013

How many weddings have you been to?

Rebecca, on October 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Posted in Community Conversations 50

I always got shocked looks when I said I'd never been to a wedding (I have now been to 1!). It also makes planning difficult because I have almost no comparisons on how things can be done. So how many have you been to, and do you think it has helped you with your own?

I always got shocked looks when I said I'd never been to a wedding (I have now been to 1!). It also makes planning difficult because I have almost no comparisons on how things can be done. So how many have you been to, and do you think it has helped you with your own?

50 Comments

• Shannon A
    Master May 2014
    Shannon A ·

I went to one wedding when i was little, so that was useless. I've been to 5 in the last 3 years. I wasn't engaged yet for 4 of them, so i deliberately didn't pay attention! the 5th was really disorganized and we didnt like anything about it except the sangria. so that was only useful for thing we are NOT doing

• ECM
    Master November 2013
    ECM ·

I've been to 18- been in 4.

edited: just remembered another one I went to.

• winnipegwriter
    Master September 2015
    winnipegwriter ·

Probably about 15? And I've been in four wedding parties.

• sundaycupcake
    VIP October 2013
    sundaycupcake ·

As a guest, I've only been to two (and one when I was a kid, but I don't remember a thing).

As a former wedding vendor, I lost count... But yes, those weddings did help me with my own planning.

• Jules
    Master January 2014
    Jules ·

A lot - I've lost count, especially over the past few years. But it's somewhere around 15.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·

Off the top of my head, 12. I think I'm forgetting a few.

• Kasey C.
    Super May 2016
    Kasey C. ·

11-11-11

06-15-13

09-14-13

09-28-13

sooo, four.

• Rachel
    Dedicated September 2013
    Rachel ·

I have been to 12 or so in the past 5 years.

• Andrea
    Devoted September 2013
    Andrea ·

Wow, I'm sure, but I'm guessing:

-As a child: 4?

-As an adult: 10?

• Mrs Drakthal
    Master September 2013
    Mrs Drakthal ·

Let see as a child or before age 18: 4 or five

Since I turned 18: between 12 and 15 and then there is my own!

Mainly what it helped with is things like I remember one wedding I attended as a young adult that was very elegant but really reflected the couple, from that we pulled our classical music for the ceremony! We had a lot of fun withthat!

I have attended a couple of theme weddings and from those I figured out that I did not want our "theme" to take over the wedding. So though we wore pirate clothes etc and included a lot of geek elements we also made sure to hold some traditions dear in our wedding. So people did not walk away from our wedding saying "we attended a pirate wedding" they walked away saying "we attended Mike and Tammy's wedding".

I have attended weddings that lasted far too long, so ours was short and too the point. Our reception was also only scheduled for a few hours because no one really wants to hang out all night.

cont.

• Mrs Drakthal
    Master September 2013
    Mrs Drakthal ·

Mike attended a wedding while I was out of town in March where the couple was on a very restrictive budget for a wedding and they really botched it instead of having what they could afford they tried to have everything and it was a disaster of epic porportions; from that we learned that it was ok to cut corners but that we were better off to cut entire items out then to try to do them on the cheap!

I could go on if you wanted me too............there are many more examples! I think I can safely say I learned something that I sued from every wedding I attended prior to my own. And we had the wedding of our dreams for significantly under 10K.

• Emi
    Dedicated October 2013
    Emi ·

None! Actually, that's just receptions. I'm a musician, so I've done a lot of them, but I've only been to 2 receptions...I was a flower girl when I was 2....and one other wedding that was of a completely different faith and not "traditional American". So I have no idea what to expect!

• Aronna
    Master October 2014
    Aronna ·

About 10

• 2d Bride
    Master October 2009
    2d Bride ·

I've probably been to under 10 in my life, and I'm 60 years old. And that includes two of mine, two of my brother's, and one of my sister's. At that rate, the weddings have been so spread out that very little I saw at one would apply to the next one.

• Anne
    Savvy May 2014
    Anne ·

Only 2, and one of them was the worst event I have ever been to lol.

• SA Bride!
    Super November 2013
    SA Bride! ·

Three that I can remember.

• CeCe
    Master May 2014
    CeCe ·

I have been to 6 and it really only helped me figure out what I don't want to do... and how I would like to lay out the reception.

They aren't all that helpful. Being to one is nice just because you get a feel for what a wedding is like but yours will be so different id doesn't really matter that much.

• Courtney F
    VIP April 2014
    Courtney F ·

I think I've been to about 10 in my life. But I've been to 3 so far this year and I have one more (my sisters) next month. Then I have mine next year plus I already know of two that I will be going to next year!

• Mrs. Ross2013
    Super November 2013
    Mrs. Ross2013 ·

All my life I have been going to weddings. the past 3 years my FH has been in abt 5.

• Mrs Drakthal
    Master September 2013
    Mrs Drakthal ·

Oooooh I just noticed your wedding date. One of the weddings I went to as a teen was on New Years Eve. They did a seven oclock service and then partied until after midnight. It was a beautiful wedding and a lot of fun, except the bride was being an absolute Bridezilla, she had her mom in tears and then tried to tear into my mom (her aunt) for something and my mom informed her that she could still "turn her over her knee" and would do so if she didnt straighten up and go apologize to her mother.

Are you doing anything special at midnight?

Comment on this discussion