Loren
Devoted October 2020

How many days off work

Loren, on March 11, 2019 at 12:34 PM Posted in Planning 0 52
Saved Save
How many days off of work are you planning to take pre-wedding? I have a generous vacation accrual at my job. We are planning on a week long honeymoon. I’d like to take the full week before but just wanted to hear what others are doing.

52 Comments

• Sydney
    Savvy January 2020
    Sydney ·
    • Flag
    Ours is on a Sunday, i want to take 1.5-2 days the week before, and then the day after our wedding (Monday) and possibly Tuesday. Want to enjoy it Smiley smile
  • MrsJackson
    Super October 2018
    MrsJackson ·
    • Flag

I did the same as you're wanting. I took the week before my wedding off, then the week after for the honeymoon. But that's just because I wanted to and it was a sort of destination wedding (2 hours away).

It's totally up to you, but I've seen brides take just 2 or 3 days off before their wedding.

• Sydney
    Savvy January 2020
    Sydney ·
    • Flag
    Also our honeymoon right now is looking like 14 days. Racking up my PTO now!
  • Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

I'm only taking the day before off, but that's because I have no vacation yet. If I had plenty of vacation, I would probably take two or three days depending on what type of wedding you planned (lots of DIY, destination?).

• Samantha
    Expert October 2019
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I'm doing a Sunday wedding, small destination wedding 3 hours away from where we live, I'm taking Friday before the wedding off and Monday. Most likely will take Tuesday off too, honeymoon is a month after the wedding.
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    If i had more paid days off work I’d love to do that! But unfortunately I’m only allowed 15 per year and already used 3 to visit FH’s family Smiley sad our wedding is Sunday so we’ll be taking off Friday before, then Monday after, and then our honeymoon is tuesday-Tuesday and we’re going back to work Thursday. So it’ll be 9 days off total which is still a huge percentage of my vacation days. We were originally going to take another few days for the honeymoon but I realized I’d lose my mind if I had no days off the rest of the year hahaa, so I’m saving my last 3 for an August mini-vacation :p

Like I said though if I had more days off I would love to take the whole week before off! We’re getting married the weekend after Memorial Day so we automatically have the Monday before off (and I’m taking Friday) so like...... not having to go in Tuesday-Thursday would be great in a perfect world but not happening for me lol. Hopefully the boss will be easy on me and let me out a little early 😂
  • Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    I took of Wed-Fri. Before ours and the following week. We are traveling the first Wednesday and the following Thursday though (we have a 12-14 hour drive!)
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    Zero! I’m a workaholic and I prefer to save my vacation time for traveling. My wedding will be super small, 20 guests max. I’ll make a waxing appointment a few days before after working hours. All I need to worry about is getting my makeup done the day of.
  • Kim
    Super September 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag

I am taking the week off before the wedding. I feel like I would be too busy getting nervous pre-wedding, I don't want to deal with work too at the same time. LOL

• FutureStephD
    Super March 2019
    FutureStephD ·
    • Flag

I'm taking off Thursday and Friday before. Then Monday to Monday week after for the honeymoon.

Although, our wedding is the 23rd and I'm traveling for work the 13th-16th, and I've worked two holidays I was supposed to be off, sooooo I'm pretty sure I'm telling my boss I'm taking off the week before or working from home or something.

I mean, what bride willingly travels the week before her wedding for work!?

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

When we originally planned to get married in 2019 one deciding factor was my vacation time would hit 4 weeks. Apparently I was mistaken and I only have 3 weeks until 2020 Smiley sad

We took off 1 day in January for engagement pictures

1 day in May for final meeting/walkthrough

1 day before the wedding and the Monday after

then the rest will be for the honeymoon in november

• Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag
    I’m taking two days off before the wedding (plus it’s the weekend after Memorial Day, so I’ll have that Monday off too). Then I’m taking two weeks off post-wedding for the honeymoon! I’d love to take the Tuesday and Wednesday off before the wedding as well (I have generous days and could do it), but I’m not sure how well my coworkers would function with me gone for three full weeks...
  • Lisa
    Savvy March 2019
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

I am taking Weds.-Fri. off this week because the wedding is Saturday and I have quite a bit of DIY stuff to set up! Eeeek! I am also taking Mon. & Tues. off so I don't feel rushed getting back to normal. We are taking our honeymoon from 6/1-6/11.

• Stacy
    Savvy April 2019
    Stacy ·
    • Flag
    I’m only taking the Friday before off. We are going on a weeklong honeymoon. I might’ve taken Thursday too (I really could use it) but we’re going to France week after next and I can’t really be away from my job so much so close together (our wedding is April 13th)
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    My wedding is on a Saturday and I'm taking off Wednesday-Friday.
    Our honeymoon is for a week and I'll take the Monday we come back off. Possibly Tuesday as well.
  • Kara
    Expert May 2019
    Kara ·
    • Flag

Our honeymoon won't be until October and I don't have much PTO left until August when they give me all my PTO days back, so I'm just taking off Thurs. and Fri. off before the wedding, then the wedding is Saturday.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I'm taking Thursday & Friday off for our Saturday wedding, then the entire following week + the Monday the next week for the wedding and honeymoon.

• Loren
    Devoted October 2020
    Loren ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I want to soak up the last few days of single life too. Like enjoy the closing of the chapter if that makes sense.
  • Kat
    Expert May 2019
    Kat ·
    • Flag
    I’m taking off the day before our wedding (a Friday) because our parents and wedding party will start arriving, but I’m working the rest of that week. I’m not sure what I’d be doing during the days if I took off.

I am taking off 2 full weeks after the wedding though for our honeymoon!
  • Meagan
    Just Said Yes May 2019
    Meagan ·
    • Flag
    We have a Saturday wedding. I’m taking off two days before (debating on three because I have a lot of DIY) and the Monday after.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics