GardenParty18
Dedicated April 2018

How many days off before work?

GardenParty18, on September 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM Posted in Planning 0 101
Saved Save

How many days off work are you taking before your wedding? What last minute things are there to do? I know I'll be getting a mani/pedi and facial and finalizing seating chart. Anything I'm missing?

101 Comments

• A. L.
    Master July 2017
    A. L. ·
    • Flag

I took the entire week off. I was able to go to every last vendor meeting at a time when they actually mattered, take care of things in the middle of the day, get a mani/pedi, and relax. There wasn't going to be any work getting done that week anyway.

• txncdelphia
    Devoted November 2018
    txncdelphia ·
    • Flag

I think it depends on how many vacation days you have. If you are strapped for vacation days because of the honeymoon I would minimize the amount of vacation days you take before the wedding.

tanning, hair removal, going to the bank of cash tips for vendors, packing bag (getting ready bag, wedding night bag)?

• Katie
    Devoted November 2017
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married on a Sunday, so I'm just taking that Friday off. Our coordinator will be taking care of vendors and all that (she takes over a month before the wedding so we'll just need to worry about smaller/more personal details), so I'm not terribly worried. I was originally going to leave work at lunch, but then I realized it would be better to just have the whole day off for meeting family, taking care of other things that came up, etc.

• andrea
    Super September 2017
    andrea ·
    • Flag

I took the entire week off before for a Friday wedding and another week and a half after the wedding for the honeymoon. I have 5 weeks of vacation total for the year.

• Courtney
    Devoted September 2018
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I have taken off Wednesday, Thursday, Friday as we have a lot of out of town guests around that week. We will be taking out honeymoon in January when our holiday days refresh so we can maximize it.

• ifallforgeeks
    Devoted October 2017
    ifallforgeeks ·
    • Flag

Getting married in PA, live in SC currently so we will be traveling up the weekend before and I took the full week off.

• Jennifer
    Devoted October 2017
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I took 3 days off before and the week after. We've got people flying in from Ireland on Wednesday and Thursday so we want to be able to spend time with them. Most of them will be gone by the next Tuesday or Wednesday and then we go on our mini moon on Thursday!

• firstoneat56
    Master August 2017
    firstoneat56 ·
    • Flag

I took the week off but only because I had a lot of vacation time to use up before I lose it in September. I think if your organized and done with mostly everything, 2 days should be sufficient. You know yourself best. I only took one day off after since we're not honeymooning until November.

• MrsMitch
    Master August 2017
    MrsMitch ·
    • Flag

I took the entire week off not necessarily because I needed to but just because I wanted to be well rested and relaxed.

• J. Clo
    Master May 2018
    J. Clo ·
    • Flag

I am taking the week. I need time to fly down and do anything last minute. If there is nothing then I will just relax poolside.

• Mrs. Sponge
    Master April 2018
    Mrs. Sponge ·
    • Flag

I will probably take the two days before it off. I don't think I'll take the whole week off.

• StPaulGal
    Master July 2017
    StPaulGal ·
    • Flag

I didn't take any vacation days before the wedding because I wanted to maximize honeymoon time. I love to travel, so any vacation days spent at home feel like a waste to me. I changed jobs shortly before the wedding, and my original plan had been to work extra hours in the days prior to the wedding so that I could leave early on Friday, or maybe not come in at all if I had enough hours. I lucked out with my new job, though; they have a system of 9 hour days M-Th and Friday off during the month of July.

It was great not having to work the day before the wedding, but I do think taking off more than that would have been a huge waste. By the time the wedding is just days away, everything is pretty much done anyway. I had to pick up my dress from the place where I had it steamed, pick up my engagement ring that I'd had dipped, get my eyebrows and nails done, and that was pretty much it.

• Liz
    Savvy September 2017
    Liz ·
    • Flag

I am taking the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off before my Saturday wedding (next Saturday!!). I've broken it down so that on Wednesday I can finish the last couple of DIY details (I have about 15 programs left to complete, and 2 chalkboard signs). On Thursday I will pick up my dress, drop off payments. Friday will be for manis/pedis with the bridal party, a lunch, and the rehearsal.

Hopefully there will be time to relax in there Smiley smile I'm also taking 10 days off following the wedding for my honeymoon.

• Sunshine
    VIP September 2017
    Sunshine ·
    • Flag

I'm taking off Weds-Friday, Saturday wedding. I think it will be enough time to get shit done. I won't really have much to do by then as I have a coordinator taking care of the details. Picking up my dress and tuxes Weds, mani/pedi on Thursday, packing for wedding weekend, packing for honeymoon (leaving Tues) then driving to our semi-DW on Thursday night (2.5 hours away). YAY!

• JJAF
    Super October 2019
    JJAF ·
    • Flag

I've read to take Thursday and Friday before your wedding off and to take the following Monday off as well

• pammat
    VIP October 2017
    pammat ·
    • Flag

Half of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for a Saturday wedding. There's some major spa-ing in there

• ELK
    Master March 2018
    ELK ·
    • Flag

I think a half day Wednesday, and all day Thursday and Friday. Might do a little work from home during this time.

I plan to get a mani/pedi, get waxed, drop all the stuff off at the venue, pack for the HM, etc.

• Kaley
    Dedicated September 2017
    Kaley ·
    • Flag

I have a really flexible work life, boss is really understanding, can work from home if needed, can work on wedding stuff at my desk if needed so I formally am taking off Thursday and Friday before my Saturday wedding but most likely will not be working full days at all Mon-Wed. (I even left early yesterday just because I couldn't sit at my desk once I had finished my tasks for the day when I know I have wedding things to take care of)

• Hannah
    Super August 2017
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

I only left at lunchtime that Friday... (wedding was Saturday) l have like No PTO because I'm new at my job. It was fine, I only had to pick up a couple last minute gifts. I was good about getting everything taken care of and my to-dos crossed off leading up to the day. So proud of myself, I'm usually a huge procrastinator.

• EM
    Master April 2017
    EM ·
    • Flag

I took Friday off for my Sunday wedding, but then I also took Monday and Tuesday off as well. I didn't really even need Friday off, I just did it because there was nothing really going on in my office that warranted me being there.

I had almost a month off paid for my honeymoon which we took a few weeks after the wedding so I didn't want to push the time off around the wedding itself.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics