Trista
VIP September 2012

Honeymoon Suggestions?

Trista, on February 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 14
Saved Save

We are trying to figure out where to go on our honeymoon in mid-October. I am not a "beachy" kind of girl and want to go somewhere other than Mexico. Laying on the beach all day just isn't my cup of tea, I like to get out and do things. I want somewhere with sight seeing, history, great culture, and food.

So far I have found a few places that interest me:

Argentina

Brazil

Costa Rica

Spain

Puerto Rico

Italy

Greece

Does anyone have any other good suggestions on destinations or has anyone been to these places that can give me insight and information on costs, etc?

Thanks!!!

14 Comments

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·
    • Flag

We're going to Spain for our HM in May! Still researching the best itinerary. PM me in a few months if you want more info!

Otherwise I guess it depends on how far you want to travel, how much time you have, what you want to do, and your overall budget. Looks like you have an interest in South/Central America and the Mediterranean...? Anything specific you want to do or see?

• Kelley
    Super May 2012
    Kelley ·
    • Flag

We are doing an Alaskan cruise.

• Trista
    VIP September 2012
    Trista ·
    • Flag

Spain looks wonderful!

We have enough airline miles to fly anywhere in the world twice, so airfare is taken care of. We have 8 days worth of time. As far as budget I would like to keep it under 4k for sure. FH wants to snorkel. I would just like to see some pretty landscapes, historical landmarks, museums, find some great restaurants, etc.

• Labake
    Master June 2012
    Labake ·
    • Flag

I would recommend Costa Rica. We orginally wanted to go there but I liked the beaches in Belize better. I You also have things in many different price ranges in Costa Rica. You would most def keep it under four, esp since airfare is taken care of. There is a lot of sight seeing, Arenal volcano, national parks, etc. Also, I know that costa rica has great places for snorkeling over coral reef.

• Labake
    Master June 2012
    Labake ·
    • Flag

This is the resort we where looking at in Costa Rica. Room there will be about $200 a night once taxes are added in. The locaton is great for lots of activities and it's near Arenal volcano.

http://www.arenalnayara.com/

• krisalicious
    Master April 2012
    krisalicious ·
    • Flag

Costa Rica is awesome. I went there a few years ago with friends so I can't speak to the romance factor Smiley smile but we did all sorts of adventures like four wheeling in the mountains, ziplining through the jungle, etc. Just check the weather and tide reports for that time of year, it might be a little rainy and the tide might be pretty strong.

I've heard amazing things about Puerto Rico from friends - culture, nightlife, good food. I would also check the weather reports - for any place in the Carribean or Central America that time of year, just to be sure.

FH has been to Argentina and Uruguay - he went for a DW before we met, I have no idea what he did there. PM me if you want me to ask him!

I've heard Iguazu Falls is one of the most amazing sights on the planet. Smiley smile I believe that's on the southern end of Brazil, or just over the border.

• Trista
    VIP September 2012
    Trista ·
    • Flag

Thanks for all the great info everyone, keep it coming!

It's great to hear more specifics from people who have actually been there or know someone who has been there.

• Trista
    VIP September 2012
    Trista ·
    • Flag

@ Lebake, thanks for the link- that place looks AMAZING!

• Hamatine Bell
    February 2020
    Hamatine Bell ·
    • Flag

Carribean Cruise on Royal Carribean International Cruise Line.

• Clare316
    VIP September 2011
    Clare316 ·
    • Flag

We went to Jamaica- it was awesome! We stayed at Couples Swept Away. There was a lot to do too, as Jamaica has the beach on one side and the mountains on the other. There was tons of water activities like snorkeling, jet skis, parasailing, and in the mountains we went to a Rastafarian nature retreat and to Bob Marley's house. Marley's house and museum was REALLY cool, even if you're not a Bob fan, it was an incredible experience.

• Rebecca
    Devoted April 2012
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Thailand is beautiful in October/November. We are planning a one-year trip there and I already have elephant trekking, deep sea fishing, white water rafting, and a tiger temple on the itinerary!

• Jennifer Prymula
    February 2020
    Jennifer Prymula ·
    • Flag

St. Lucia sounds perfect for you- it's a beautiful mountaneous island, great snorkeling a splash of history - the French & Britsh fought over it for years, you can hike all over Pigeon island and see remnants of the fort and amazing views! Great restaurants on the island and lots of waterfalls, activities to try. You can even take a day trip to Martinique.

Resorts range from beachfront, adult only, all inclusives to unique mountain side resorts! feel free to contact me if you'd like more info!

My pic is actually from Sandals Grande St. Lucian ! Smiley smile

• Jennifer Prymula
    February 2020
    Jennifer Prymula ·
    • Flag

Sorry- duplicate post!

• Genevieve
    Super May 2010
    Genevieve ·
    • Flag

I went to Las Vegas for a week in May for my honeymoon. We had so much fun we went back in September of that year for a week. It's only 1K for two people from MSP for a week. That probably isn't the history and great culture you're looking for though. LOL.

I would love to go to Charleston, SC.

The snorkeling in Kauai is gorgeous and there is lots of stuff to see and do besides laying on the beach. Wimea (sp?) canyon, whale watching boat ride, tubing, hiking to "secret" water falls, horseback riding, surfing, ... That probably doesn't have the history and culture you're looking for either though. I didn't pay for it so I'm not sure how much that costs.

I've never had enough in my budget to go anywhere outside of the US so I don't have any international suggestions.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics