Melanie
Just Said Yes July 2017

Honeymoon in Yellowstone?

Melanie, on April 1, 2016 at 5:50 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 9
Saved Save

Hi everyone! My fiance and I were thinking about going to Yellowstone/Tetons/Jackson Hole for our honeymoon. Has anyone done this successfully? Or does anyone have any recommendations for trip packages or must-sees? We'll be going next summer (2017), mid to end of July (but Yellowstone books so quickly that I understand it's best to start planning a year in advance). Thanks so much!

9 Comments

• Rachel A.
    Super September 2016
    Rachel A. ·
    • Flag

I worked there many years ago! Lake Hotel is beautiful and would be a great spot for a honeymoon. I would avoid staying anywhere Old Faithful because it's insanely busy. July is a super crowded time but the weather should be beautiful. If you are there on the 4 th of July it is awesome in Jackson Hole.

• MrsSA2B
    Expert April 2016
    MrsSA2B ·
    • Flag

That's so awesome! We had an amazing time there & that's where FH proposed! Smiley smile We didn't go through Jackson Hole, but if you plan to honeymoon, I heard that's the place to go. Not sure how long you'll be there, but you could take a bus tour the first day or two (upper and lower loops) to get the lay of the land, then explore on your own afterwards. If you go on your own, mark off the must-see spots you want to visit, because there's just so much to see. (We stayed at Old Faithful for one night, and just our luck, a tree had fallen on a major power line, and the hotel and surrounding buildings ran on a generator. The area was so remote, a helicopter couldn't reach it. Repair guys had to hike up there to fix it. When we checked in, the lady at the front desk asked if we came prepared with flashlights. We did, lol! Luckily, they were able to fix it, and we had power the entire night.

Piece of advice - stop off at the "heated restrooms" as you drive around the loops. I didn't understand what that meant until we went off on our own. Un-heated restrooms = latrine.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

I've never been but I'm hoping to go next summer too. I am actually going in August because that area will be right in the path for a total solar eclipse. If you're not near the path of the solar eclipse and if you think that might be something you're interested in, maybe you can postpone your honeymoon to be there August 21 for that!

• EleanorRigby
    VIP May 2016
    EleanorRigby ·
    • Flag

I live in Wyoming. You may look in to going to the Grand Tetons too, so close. We stayed at "Yellowstone Lodge" or some shit when I was 13, totally amazing, especially when you're talking about. There's a few diners, drive ins, and dives places there too.

• FutureMrs.Burkhardt
    Dedicated June 2016
    FutureMrs.Burkhardt ·
    • Flag

All of that area is amazing! I highly recommend the Tetons to spend more time there. It's not as crowded and I think prettier than Yellowstone. Both are amazing and great camping. There are some great hot springs on the more north side of Yellowstone. Can't remember the name of them though. You'll have so much fun!

• DaisyHeadMayzie
    Super May 2017
    DaisyHeadMayzie ·
    • Flag

I currently live here! Don't do a bus. Rent a car if at all possible. If you want to do a tour I would recommend a smaller tour for something specific (wildlife viewing, geology facts, history lesson, etc.). The Wort Hotel in Jackson has wonderful accommodations and is right in town so you don't have to drive to see any of the shops, visitor center, and has easy access to walking paths. I stayed at the Mammoth Hotel for Christmas and found it very comfortable. I can definitely recommend Lake Hotel too. It depends what the goal of your trip is for activity recommendations- see as much stuff as possible? wildlife watching? hiking? soak in as many hot springs as possible? Be prepared that you are going in the HEIGHT of busy season! Definitely make reservations asap. I would be so happy to help if you have more questions.

Eta- my avatar pic is FH proposing in front of Grand Teton.

• studentloansforlife
    Super September 2017
    studentloansforlife ·
    • Flag

We used to vacation at the Crescent H ranch every year in my childhood. Lovely place but they sold it.

I highly recommend the ranch experience and there are a few left. Many have meals included and various activities, such as pancake breakfasts and cookouts. I recommend staying in or around Jackson or the Tetons.

Wednesday and Friday nights are rodeo nights outside Jackson and fun. I recommend Rendevouz restaurant which the stars frequent.

Plan to hike as the area is gorgeous. Recommend taking a boat across Jenny lake and hiking. Horseback riding is plentiful and awesome, and if you stay at a ranch it is probably included. Also river rafting is a must!

Just be aware that time is high season and Jackson is flooded with tourists.

This is another reason I recommend staying at a ranch. You can always rent a car and take a day trip to Yellowstone.

• VWCat
    Master October 2015
    VWCat ·
    • Flag

I LOVE Yellowstone. There's a ton to do. I camped the whole time, so I don't have anything romantic beyond the majesty of nature. Also, the Grand Tetons are right next door, and I highly recommend!

• SailawaySomppi
    VIP April 2018
    SailawaySomppi ·
    • Flag

I think this is a great idea. Its beautiful there. I think my FHs favorite place hes ever been is Artists point.. that is a must see

Comment on this discussion