Laura M
VIP August 2014

Honeymoon in Bora Bora and Moorea - would you, could you? eep

Laura M, on January 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM Posted in Honeymoon

So I'm seriously considering this for our honeymoon, FH was completely against it after seeing our quote for 4 nights in Moorea in a garden villa with private plunge pool and 4 nights in overwater bungalow in Bora Bora for approximately 10k, that's not including our flight to Los Angeles from Toronto which is another $1500ish. So trip of a lifetime for $11,500 not including lunches, dinners and drinks. Does include a few excursions. We have the money and it will not deplete our savings but it's A LOT of money...We have a mortgage, a new car, a puppy to pay for but it's our honeymoon..decisions decisions!

Sooo would you do it?

Share:

21 Comments

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·

We're island hopping Roratonga, bora bora, and possibly moorea.

We budgeted $10k for the whole thing but we're backpacking, not staying in the over-the-water bungalows till the last 3 nights.

it's FH's dream vacation, my fantasy "i'll never be able to" trip of a lifetime and we said yes but we're waiting till 3 months after the wedding so that we can save up a little more again and get paid vacation.

• Rebecca
    Super July 2014
    Rebecca ·

We originally planned to elope in bora bora so we could do a ceremony between the two of us then have the rest of the time there our honeymoon. We were going to spend around $15,000 for this but then family made us change our mind and do a wedding in the US. I would say do it as long as it will not deplete your savings or put a financial strain on you guys.

• Alyssa
    Expert February 2014
    Alyssa ·

We nixed 12 nights in Hawaii because it was going to be $12k not including food, drink or entertainment. We only have the mortgage.

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·

@Alyssa, I live there if you need any help

if it won't seriously harm your lifestyle then do it you only get 1 honeymoon.

• kristenann
    Master October 2014
    kristenann ·

I would love to do that!!! It's seriously my dream honeymoon, but since we're paying for the wedding ourselves, Bora Bora will have to wait.

• Mallory Abroad
    Master October 2014
    Mallory Abroad ·

We have been to the cook islands before (Rarotonga etc) and it was worth it really.

Then we are going to Bora Bora for the honeymoon.

Really exited and in my eyes worth the money but given that both times we didn't worry about the money I can't really comment on the money

Personally unless mortgage etc is a constant thought and money is tight I would happily spend money on experiences

That said what matters really is that you spend your honeymoon together and luxury comes in many different packages and certainly doesn't have to cost 10k

• Alyssa
    Expert February 2014
    Alyssa ·

@AMK I've been to the big island and loved it. What killed us is that we're coming from Boston and wanted to island hop and it seemed to be more expensive in February. Oh I forgot to mention that I wanted to stay in nice hotels. But even 3 star hotels and 10 nights it was still 10k.

• M
    Master August 2014
    Miss S. ·

I am not sure that the length of travel is worth the 4 days. If I went I would want to go for at least 7 days, not including travel days.

• D
    Savvy May 2014
    Dominika ·

I would do it! We're actually planning on doing it for our 1 year anniversary. So, yes, in a heartbeat!

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·

I have never regretted spending money on vacations

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·

February the tale end of our high season! March-Jun and September-Nov slow down. Island hopping is a bitch, meaning by air only $400 max each puddle jump.

I'm all about resorts too so I don't blame you one bit. Priceline sometimes lets you name your own price on the nice hotels and I've heard of people with the ability to be flexible go that route.

• L
    Master February 2015
    LetItSnow ·

It will be closer to $20K by the time you eat, do adventures and drink. Beer is like $9 in Bora Bora.

If you like the look but need cheaper, try Fiji. You can do island hopping adventures for so cheap that include meals. The island from the movie Castaway is in Fiji.- Just avoid the mainland.

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·

How I feel about Amy S's wedding and honeymoon

• Jessica
    Master July 2012
    Jessica ·

Can you lower the level of accomodation at one of your places? Maybe have more of a standard room instead of the villa with plunge pool, and keep the overwater bungalow?

Yes, I think a trip like that is worth it. Totally agree with MrsKing- I've never regretted money spent on a good vacation. But you could probably find ways to lower the price a little bit- though not exactly down to a "cheap" vacation.

• Blondie123
    Super July 2014
    Blondie123 ·

My sister did her honeymoon in Bora Bora, but they have money like woah. My sis is a CPA, and her hubby is some sort of consultant for lawyers. She told me how much it was, and I don't remember how much it was, but I remember thinking that I would probably never see that much money, ever. Hah!

They did one of those huts over the water where you can see the fish under you.

• Laura M
    VIP August 2014
    Laura M ·

Ms.s I would never pay that for 4 days lol it's 8 nights divided by two islands in the French polynesians.

• Laura M
    VIP August 2014
    Laura M ·

Let it snow - it includes a few excursions and breaksfasts so I hope it doesn't end up being another 9k on top of that yikes!

• MnDex
    VIP October 2014
    MnDex ·

Hawaii will be our 1st anniversary & Bora Bora will be our 5th anniversary...have to save up because we're coming from the East coast too & I'd like to go top shelf if we can ;-) But it's probably going to be Sandals some place for the honeymoon ;-)

Edited for spelling

• Angela Marie
    Master May 2014
    Angela Marie ·

We were originally planning on going to Bora Bora for our honeymoon, but our travel agent found us a deal we couldn't pass up to the Cook Islands. We'll do Bora Bora for our 1st anniversary instead now.

• jenna_
    Master March 2015
    jenna_ ·

Our budget is $15k bora bora and maldives are our top two choices. So I'm biased. Obviously, I'm like heeellll yeah!

But only you know what you can truly afford. If you can afford to splurge a little on an amazing hmoon, girl go for it. But don't break the bank. Cuz even tho it'd be an awesome vaca!!! ... Reality is still waiting at home. :/

Comment on this discussion