P.F.
Super May 2018

Honeymoon help

P.F., on July 29, 2018 at 8:00 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 27
Saved Save
We had finally picked a destination (Ireland) and did extensive research to map out things to see and do across the country. Before anything could be booked I lost my job, got a much lower paying job, cats continue to up the vet bills (16 y/o cat is falling apart), and now our apartment gave us 2 days notice to board our cats so they could set off the fire alarms and do a walk-through. With such short notice and everyone on vacation with their pets in kennels, I called all over the city to find ANYBODY that has room for them AND will give insulin shots. That left me with one option that will cost $600.

We have lost everything we saved for our honeymoon and I am at a loss.

Anybody have any suggestions? Where can we go that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Camping is out because he's not outdoorsy. I love the outdoors and don't like cities so a nice compromise is somewhere with a pretty view and lots of nature. He likes to take walks with me so hiking is good. I don't want to cook on vacation even though I know that's cheaper. He likes cold, I like hot so climate doesn't matter

Y'all have helped me with a lot of honeymoon threads but hurricanes happened and our budget changed so I'd appreciate y'alls help again

27 Comments

• L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Why don’t you just post pone the honeymoon and do like a mini-moon somewhere that’s within driving distance and will be relaxing for you. I’m not sure where you live and what’s around, but I would do that to get away a few days after the wedding, and then do the Ireland trip on a 1 year anniversary? 5 year anniversary?
  • Sarah
    Expert November 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag

Gatlinburg TN. is a BEAUTIFUL place that isn't too expensive. We always stay at the Bear Claws in Wear Valley. It does cost a little more than you might be looking for but I would check out Gatlinburg or Sevierville to see if that's something you would be interested in. If you go I would check out Cades Cove!

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    We kinda had what we called a mini-moon in galveston but it was for one day because I had to get back to work. we go to Galveston for a day semi-frequently so it wasn't exactly special

We have postponed it 3 times. It's not a set date. We just need a set destination that we can afford so it doesn't continue to get pushed further and further away until it doesn't happen.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks! I'll look into it! Maybe they'll have a decent slow season we can take advantage of
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    When you say it has to be a place where you can afford, you can make Ireland affordable. It sounds like you need to finalize your budget for it instead. I’m from NY and My FH just found tickets to fly from jfk to Seattle for $100 and are staying in aribnb’s that are relatively cheap. There’s an airport in Newburgh, NY that has direct flights to Ireland for $69. It’s just a matter of where you want to go and how you can make it in your budget. You can make any place super expensive, or affordable....don’t go during peak times, they say tuesdays are the best days to fly cuz they’re the cheapest. Just rather difficult to set a destination. Seems like you need to set a budget and then see what you can do in Ireland for that budget.
  • Catjam
    Expert October 2018
    Catjam ·
    • Flag
    We are going to Sevierville, like Sarah shared earlier. It's only as expensive as you make it ...even for a few days. We rented a cabin that allows pets for far less than $100 a night!
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Excellent point. I never planned a trip that was more than a days drive away and longer than a weekend so I'm not a savvy planner. Tips like the Tuesday thing are helpful and in our research I did find it was cheaper during their winter months in Ireland. Would it be economically worth it to have a travel agent take care of this for me?
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I love cabins! That sounds wonderful!
  • Sarah
    Expert November 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t know if you like to drink but they have moonshine tastings downtown gatlingurg, a lot of touristy stuff like ripleys museums and all that. But the view is TO DIE FOR. They have this fudge shop on the top of the ski lift that has the best fudge. Or there’s a place that’s impossible to find called the Apple barn and they have the best food I’ve ever tasted in my life. There’s obviously a million different hikes (FREE) that you can do. There’s one that you can see all 4 states surrounding TN. Because of how high you go. It’s my home away from home and I am so oationate about this place
  • Sarah
    Expert November 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    This is Bear Claws 😍😍

Honeymoon help 1

Honeymoon help 2
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow, that is gorgeous! All of that sounds like a lot of fun too! It is a bit pricey for a nightly charge but maybe they have smaller cabins. I'm looking it up
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No, not really. I would just do your research. Look up aerlingus for flights, go to kayak.com, download Skyscanner app for cheap flights. Check out Airbnb’s in Ireland. Think of how long you want to stay and they have tours where if you book multiple sites, you can get discounts. Look up things on Pinterest as well. You have many options, it’s just a matter of putting the time in to do it all.

But again, taking that mini-moon can also be a ton of fun!
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I haven't even heard of some of those. Thank you!! I would never peg Pinterest to be helpful in any way so that's interesting!
    I appreciate you telling me about these different sites/apps. Thanks to the new job I do have more free time now so it's not as big of a deal to put more effort into this. I actually feel a little hopeful about Ireland again.
    Thanks!
  • Nicole
    Savvy July 2019
    Nicole ·
    • Flag
    Hotels that allow pets? We went on vacation and the pet fee was only 25 extra (which they ended up waiving since we got engaged on the trip)
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    For the honeymoon itself I'm not worried about the cats because my cousin said she'd watch them for us. It's only an issue when we get short notice "all pets out!" notes from the apartment office.
    That's awesome you got to take your pet with you for free!
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh yeah girl! Sometimes I think you can do Europe for cheaper than the US. I mean I don’t need five star hotels, I just need something that is safe and clean! And once you do the research, you’ll be able to travel like a local and really be able to experience the culture! Good luck!!!
  • Randi
    Devoted August 2019
    Randi ·
    • Flag
    Rent a cabin for the weekend somewhere in new england within driving distance to shopping and eateries. Bring the cats and enjoy nature, scenic views, and small town life.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That sounds like an ideal vacation. Every year we used to travel to this tiny town for the weekend and enjoy the simplicity and beauty. It'd be do nice to do that again and somewhere new.

Y'all have given me wonderful ideas and advice for vacations/honeymoon.
  • Randi
    Devoted August 2019
    Randi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If anything, after your wedding you're going to want to unwind from the year of planning and prepping.
    You deserve to have a stress free honeymoon thay you won't feel guilty about the whole time.
    Whatever you deside...keep it simple and relaxing. Use it as a time to breathe and enjoy with your new husband.
    Maybe next year for your 1 year anniversary you can plan a big get away. That way it won't be right after a bunch of big life changes, so you can really enjoy it without having to pinch pennys.
  • P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's solid advice. We've had so many changes recently that he refuses to set a date for the honeymoon because "we don't know what's going to happen. Something always comes up." I hate it when he says that but so far he's been right. Wouldn't more money just be grand?

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics