Rachel S.
Master September 2013

Honeymoon Excursions (Jamaica)

Rachel S., on August 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 15
Saved Save

For those of you who have gone to Jamaica (or really anywhere) either on your honeymoon or a vacation, do you find it better to book your excursions before you get there? Where is the best place to book them through?

I want to make sure we are doing legit excursions, but also not getting ripped off! Thanks!

15 Comments

• Allyson
    Master May 2014
    Allyson ·
    • Flag

I usually book our airport shuttle before I get there as part of the vacation package (through Orbitz or Expedia for example) so I'm sure that's taken care of when I first land and you don't get attacked at the airport. Once I get there, I'll book the excursions. The resorts have travel agents that can help you, and you're often given an appointment upon arrival, especially if you book through a travel company.

I know this wasn't the question, but if you're going to Montego Bay or Ocho Rios in Jamaica (basically along the northern side of the island) I highly recommend Dunn's River Falls! It's an amazing excursion. Just take water shoes with you.

• Rachel S.
    Master September 2013
    Rachel S. ·
    • Flag

Thanks Allyson! We actually have airport transportation included in our package so that's good!

Good to know about the resorts, I thought I had heard that somewhere before, just wanted to double check!

Thanks for the tip on Dunns River, it's definitely one we're looking at!

• Jules
    Master January 2014
    Jules ·
    • Flag

We usually just use the concierge at the hotel once we get there!

• Thankfully Anonymous
    Super February 2014
    Thankfully Anonymous ·
    • Flag

I've been twice...and learned my lesson. Booking here is convenient, but you'll pay 50% more if you do that. Jules is smart...even just booking through your concierge will save you a lot of money. They don't have a ton of fees and taxes and bla bla expenses there - it's a clear cut rate. If you don't have anxiety over holding off then I say definitely wait and do it there.

• Tiffany
    VIP July 2013
    Tiffany ·
    • Flag

The only time I have considered booking excursions before was on a cruise. In general I usually book at/thru the hotel. We booked a trip to Punta Cana thru Cheap Carribbean and had a rep at the hotel that took care of everything else for us. But, just recently, on our honeymoon we just went to the desk and they had all of the info on excursions and we booked thru them (and they offer a discount sometimes, especially if you're booking more than one at a time.

• Candice B.
    Master July 2013
    Candice B. ·
    • Flag

We booked our excursion once we got to our resort through our airport/hotel transportation company (they had representatives at the resort daily). We were advised to do it that way when we got there. Otherwise, we would have booked them through the resort's concierge.

• Rachel S.
    Master September 2013
    Rachel S. ·
    • Flag

Awesome- thanks everyone!!

• FutureMrsP
    Master October 2014
    FutureMrsP ·
    • Flag

Last time I was there we stayed at Sandals - I didn't book anything prior to getting there and we missed out on a lot of the excursions we wanted to do because they were already booked.

I would recommend booking the "must do's" (in our case we missed out on the zip lining...) prior to getting there. But otherwise there are always plenty of activities.

Oh an I second Allyson - Dunn Rivers Falls - AMAZING!

Just make sure you get the airport shuttle booked before you get there - don't want to be stranded in the airport and getting harrassed by the cabbies.

Have fun!

• Randi Felt Scatena
    November 2019
    Randi Felt Scatena ·
    • Flag

You can book your excursions at the resort you are staying in, or you can go to

island routes website,and book with them, insured and safe excursions!

• Hilery
    VIP November 2014
    Hilery ·
    • Flag

YES! Dunn's River Falls! Also, some horse back riding on the beach! I don't remember the name of the company we did that through but, I think there's quite a few you can choose from.

• Kirst
    Master August 2012
    Kirst ·
    • Flag

We did jamacia for our honeymoon. we booked our excursions with our travel agent in advance. we did dunns river falls, a horse back ride thing, catamaran trip to margaritaville and a deep sea fishing trip

• Jessie
    Dedicated May 2014
    Jessie ·
    • Flag

For most places I would say to wait until you get there HOWEVER when FH and I went to Jamaica we became friends with a couple that had booked a day with a private taxi driver to do several excursions and invited us along. The other couple had gone back and forth with the driver (Paul Williams) and come up with an itenerary of what they wanted to do and what Paul suggested. He picked us up in the morning, we went to Bob Marley's house for a tour, he took us to his favorite authentic Jamaican jerk chicken place, then we did Dunn's River Falls (a MUST do), then he took us to this non-touristy local place called Blue Hole with waterfalls and caves (there was a young "tour guide" there to show us around) it was by far the most amazing part. Our friends had planned to go to the market after but everyone was tired so we went back to the hotel. I think the driver was about $200 then you have to pay for the excursions on their own but totally worth it! Google him or look him up on trip advisor!

• Linda
    Super November 2013
    Linda ·
    • Flag

I would def rec booking through the concierge. That is what I have always done when traveling and always had no issues. I will have to agree with the crowds that Dunns River Falls are a MUST but if you do plan to do that please back your own watershoes if not they will make you rent some gross used ones that God only knows who had them on their feet before. (Guilty - I had to do that). You may want to get those now somewhere like KMART for cheap prices at the end of the summer. I also did swimming with the dolphins which was fun. I did not do in Jamaica but Catamarans are always a good option.

• Rachel S.
    Master September 2013
    Rachel S. ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone!! I want to do alllll the excursions now haha

• Joanna G
    VIP October 2013
    Joanna G ·
    • Flag

We asked the concierge and sometimes hey have really good deals. Dunns river was fun and so was snorkeling Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion