Future Mrs. DW
Expert October 2017

Honeymoon Destination Conflict

Future Mrs. DW, on February 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 13
Saved Save

My fiance and I live in Michigan. Our wedding is in October of 2017. I love the fall colors and the cool weather. I didn't want a wedding, but his family "requires" one and it's important to him that he gets to celebrate our love with everyone he cares about. So, I said we would do a wedding if he planned the honeymoon.

It came up in conversation one night that I thought the perfect honeymoon would be touring Northern Michigan. They have wineries, they have Traverse City and Saugatuck and quaint little bed and breakfasts we could cozy up in together. He said absolutely not. He wasn't going somewhere cold for his honeymoon. I am pale, I don't handle the heat and I sunburn in like, 20 minutes.

I asked him his idea and he said Sedona, Arizona.... WHAT? The desert? Where are some of you going on your honeymoon? What criteria did you use to decide? HELP!

13 Comments

• Mrs. RATR
    Master September 2016
    Mrs. RATR ·
    • Flag

We're going to Mackinac Island! FH is albino so he can't be in the sun very long either--we're both from Michigan and we love us some Mitten so this was a perfect fit for us as a mini-moon right after the wedding. For an anniversary we'll go to Ireland and the UK.

• Future Mrs. DW
    Expert October 2017
    Future Mrs. DW ·
    • Flag

Since we've seen the difference of opinion we have about our honeymoon we've lightly discussed it. And we don't have the funds to dedicate to our dream trip (also Ireland or Italy) so we have to stay stateside. FH wants to be gone a week. That seems excessive to me. I don't even need to travel. I am trying to be a good sport and find somewhere cool but the only place that has everything is Northern CA. I'm not even sold on that. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE Mackinac Island! Lucky ducks! That would be amazing! I haven't been there in 15 years! #puremichigan Smiley winking

• Holly
    Master February 2017
    Holly ·
    • Flag

I didn't think of it as a honeymoon so much as where was somewhere you always wanted to go? Maybe both you and your fiance can come up with a few and see which one you both can agree on.

ETA: no solid planning on this front yet but ideally we'll go to London.

• Kelly
    Super October 2016
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

I'm in IL and my FH and I are definitely going somewhere warm for our honeymoon, but we both hate the cold! lol I would try to find some place you could meet in the middle. Maybe one of the Carolinas or Tennessee? Go when it's not incredibly warm, but a bit warmer than Michigan temps. Compromising is key!

• Desireecox
    VIP October 2016
    Desireecox ·
    • Flag

What about Florida? It's not crazy warm and there is so much to do. I'm from grand rapids and we are getting married here but we are thinking something like Europe because I'm the same way I burn really quickly and get sick from to much heat. I wish you luck!

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

To be honest, Sedona is actually really really beautiful in the fall. Sedona is at a higher elevation (4500 feet) so it's much cooler than like Phoenix which is in the desert. The average high in Sedona in October is 78 degrees with a low of 50 so it's actually quite perfect. It is beautiful, has some great little shops, and it's not too far from the Grand Canyon. I lived in Flagstaff which is about 30-45 minutes away from Sedona and omg I loved going to Sedona! It's just so pretty and the air is crisp and lovely. If you 78 is too warm, Flagstaff would even be a nice compromise, it's at 7000 feet so it's even cooler. I know of some nice cabins you could stay in there (with like electricity and running water and everything). So I would look into it more before crossing it off your list. Here are even a couple pictures from there. I strongly think you should consider Sedona!

• P
    Beginner May 2016
    Private User ·
    • Flag

I hear there are a few great spa/resort type places out there and golf, if you're into that. My Hunny and I are going to Panama! All inclusive with flight. It was a great deal. We are super excited

• DJ
    VIP May 2016
    DJ ·
    • Flag

We're actually getting married in Sedona. FH vacationed there growing up and has always loved it. If you like outdoor activities, it'd be a good choice.

• Kelly
    Super June 2016
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

The Shenandoah Valley in Virginia has a lot of wineries and hiking and its a beautiful location! It's also relatively close to DC. I don't have personal experience vacationing there, but it might be worth looking into.

• BicycleBuiltForTwo
    Master September 2016
    BicycleBuiltForTwo ·
    • Flag

The Smokies (NC/TN) are awesome in October! Wineries, B&Bs, hiking, and some of the most famous fall colors around. ETA: usually the weather is Oct is 60s during the day, and maybe 40s at night. Also I am biased, Asheville NC is my favorite place in the whole wide world Smiley smile

• Future Mrs. DW
    Expert October 2017
    Future Mrs. DW ·
    • Flag

Thanks for your opinions ladies! I will jot these places down for him to look into and see which he likes best! They all help!

• Elizabeth
    Master December 2016
    Elizabeth ·
    • Flag

As someone who grew up in Florida, it IS crazy hot there and I would avoid it like the plague if you burn that easily. With a wedding in October, there are plenty of options that aren't "cold" but aren't hot either. What about Viriginia? Lots of cities you could explore and if you hit the smaller towns, you'll have the beds and breakfasts you mention in your post. If you want more naturey things, the mountains are beautiful and the temperature shouldn't be cold. Do you like DC? NYC? It might be brisk, but none of those places should be too cold that time of year.

You could also do a national park tour in the south. The Smokey Mountains? Shenandoah?

If vineyards are your thing, they have beautiful vineyards up and down the East Coast (gorgeous one in Rhode Island), but if you can afford it go to northern California. They have the best!

• Mikayla
    VIP September 2016
    Mikayla ·
    • Flag

If you're looking for vineyards/wineries I live in New York right by Watkins Glen. Absolutely phenomenal wineries and wine. And beautiful views that time of year.

We are going to Jamaica because I need sunshine like I need water.

Comment on this discussion