Jale
Beginner July 2019

Honeymoon--california

Jale, on March 8, 2019 at 8:46 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 24
Saved Save

My fiance and I are getting married in July, but are planning to go on our honeymoon in September or October. Wanting to go to Southern California because neither of us has been. With that being said I have no idea where to start looking at where to stay. LA area or San Diego area?? Somewhere not super far from the beach. Need suggestions!

24 Comments

• Bre
    Dedicated September 2019
    Bre ·
    Hi, Congratulations!
    Although I'm a born and bred angeleno I absolutely love San Diego. The where depends on your price point and what you'll want to do while there. Coronado is beautiful all year so can't go wrong there, Laguna is an option also. Maybe figure out what you want to do besides beach and it'll be easier to decide.
  • Christie
    Just Said Yes April 2019
    Christie ·

I live in Orange County which is half way between San Diego and LA. No reason you couldn’t visit both. If you just want to relax on the beach, I’d recommend San Diego or Orange County. If you also want to sightsee , then LA .

• Melanie
    Dedicated August 2019
    Melanie ·
    I am from the Bay Area in SF and I recommend San Diego. It is typically beautiful year around and beaches are warmer. Like a pp mentioned it kind of depends on what else you want to do. Laguna beach is nice!
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    I recommend San Diego, the weather is amazing.
  • Amanda
    VIP December 2020
    Amanda ·
    I don't know where this is or if this helps but we are looking at the resort and spa called "Loews coranado bay resort"
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    Where do you live? And what do you typically like to visit?

I’ve lived in LA, Orange County & San Diego and traffic is bad in all those big cities (1-2 hours to get across any of those cities). I think if you’re not from here San Diego would be my favorite: one day Coronado beach (lunch at the Hotel Del), one day San Diego Zoo or Animal Park, USS Midway is a cool tour if avail, Balboa Park is beautiful. Those are the first places that come to mind.
  • N
    Just Said Yes March 2020
    Nichole ·

I live in San Diego and would definitely recommend it!! There are so many beaches, Balboa Park, Downtown, Little Italy for some great restaurants, and La Jolla for cute beach town vibes. Let me know if you have any questions or need restaurant recommendations if you chose SD

Nichole

• Kellie
    Expert October 2019
    Kellie ·
    San Diego! I go down there often because I live 3-4 hours away. also, book an Airbnb not a hotel
  • Loren
    Dedicated October 2020
    Loren ·
    We are doing SF and Monterey Bay Area for ours! I stayed in San Diego for a work conference and it’s a fun city. They have the #1 zoo in the country I believe.
  • Adrianna
    Devoted June 2020
    Adrianna ·

I live in Los Angeles born and raised. My SIL went to Palm Springs for their honeymoon, and it looked super relaxing and fun. San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are NOT romantic at all.

If you want a romantic getaway I suggest, Palm Springs, Carmel, Monterrey... I guess it also depends what your looking to do. If you want the beach, another in the central coast is going to be romantic and less crowded than the main cities.

• Alyssa
    Dedicated June 2019
    Alyssa ·
    My fiance and I are doing a road trip up the West coast, this is going to be so fun.

• Rachel
    Super May 2019
    Rachel ·

I live in SoCal, I prefer San Diego over LA, for a honeymoon at least. It's beautiful down there and I specifically love the Gaslamp District. Lots of cute boutique hotels and you can walk everywhere, lots of good restaurants and bars, etc. The beach isn't to far from anywhere in San Diego and it will be a lot cooler down there in the fall than in LA. It easily goes over 100 that time of year.

Also, LA isn't really near the beach. You'd want like Santa Monica for that (which is also amazing). But with traffic up there, if you stay in DTLA, you'll be a good hour from the beach, more with traffic. Also, we have been getting a lot of wild fires, and that's kind of prime time for them. There's a lot more moisture in the air in San Diego, so there is likely to be less down there.

Overall, I think both places are great. And you can still do a day or two in LA if you stay in San Diego, it's not that bad of a drive. I just think that overall, San Diego would make a better honeymoon location. And if you like wine, Temecula Wine Country (about an hour north of San Diego) is amazing. I go there all of the time.

• Courtney
    Rockstar December 2019
    Courtney Online ·
    We just got back from the LA Burbank area and we loved it! We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Burbank which was right next to the downtown area full of yummy places for dinner. ☺️

We mostly Ubered to Universal and the Griffith Observatrory. But we rented a car to drive Disneyland.

Then we drove for an overnight stay in San Diego and hit up the zoo.

So much fun!
  • Grace
    Super May 2019
    Grace ·

I would suggest San Diego! I haven't been there myself, but I always here great things about it. I have been to LA, but I wish I could go back and visit San Diego instead haha!

• Emily
    Devoted December 2020
    Emily Online ·
    I would definitely suggest San Diego! I live in the Bay Area, but travel to San Diego often because I was born and raised there. It’s such a beautiful, dreamy place!
  • FutureMrsD
    Rockstar July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

I grew up 45 minutes north of San Diego, in Carlsbad. It's a nice small beach town. I'm more of a fan of San Diego than LA, you get more of a beach vibe and less of a city vibe. I'd look into Catalina Island & Coronado for trips! You also have the San Diego Zoo, Padres Stadium, Gaslamp, tons of restaurants & shopping in San Diego too.

• Erika
    Expert April 2019
    Erika ·

Following. I need help!

• Cassie
    Dedicated November 2020
    Cassie ·
    View Quoted Comment

I lived in Cali for 18 years, Bay Area! Monterey is gorgeous, make sure to hit the Monterey Bay Aquarium, it is so worth it and if you have time drive to Carmel and spend a day there. It is amazing.

• Sherry
    VIP September 2019
    Sherry Online ·

We really debated on doing California for our honeymoon. I REALLY wanted to go to Salvation Mountain so maybe a activity during the day.

Here is the link to it, in case you have not heard of it. http://www.salvationmountain.us/

I fell in love with this place originally after searching for top elopement spots in the US and this was an option that was recommended. Here is a link to that article, the pictures are soooo pretty! Ugh, one day, I will get there lol.

https://greenweddingshoes.com/colorful-elopement-inspiration-at-salvation-mountain/

Other than that, my comment is pretty useless since I know nothing about California lol

• Kristin
    Devoted September 2020
    Kristin ·

I live in Los Angeles but I love love love San Diego. It's a completely different tone to LA-so much more relaxing and the weather is nicer. LA in the fall is brutal! That being said, it's only about a 2 hour drive (depending on traffic) btwn the 2 so you can easily do day-trips so you can explore both.

Comment on this discussion