adilou
Expert June 2015

honeyfund... anyone using or have experience with?

adilou, on September 4, 2014 at 7:41 AM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save

FH and I aren't able to go on a honeymoon financially right now.. has anyone had experience or is anyone using honeyfund?

The website is extremely vague and seems too good to be true - and usually when something is like that, it is too good to be true. I know they take a percentage (it says 2.8% for each $500, up to 3.5% for each $1000 donated)...

And I have this nagging feeling that it would be tacky to ask people for money like that. I don't expect anyone to give us money and refuse to "bank" on that anyways. That money should be used to start a life together - at least in my opinion.

I'm just racking my brain trying to think of ways we can do something because i know something will be needed after the big day.. I am setting aside 10% of my paychecks to go into a savings account for it (that is literally all we can afford to save right now).. but i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience with it?

advice/info/opinions welcome Smiley smile

19 Comments

• KaylaP
    VIP September 2014
    KaylaP ·
    • Flag

Honeyfund is pretty tacky IMO. It's asking for cash..

Try waiting to go on a honeymoon for a month or 2 or 3 after the wedding..

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·
    • Flag

Is there anywhere nice nearby you could go? Do you live by the beach or the mountains or a popular city? I ask about nearby because that cuts down on travel costs. If you are looking for a honeymoon you can afford, I'd pick a nearby area you'd like to go to (do some research and make sure there's enough around for you to do things), and then find a cheap hotel deal online and do that.

I believe Expedia.com has a "mystery" hotel deal where you tell it where you want to stay and it will give you a random hotel in that area (you don't know what hotel it is, but you can see the number of stars and reviews). My fiance and I have done that a few times and you can't get a nice hotel for a really great deal.

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·
    • Flag

It's very common now to wait several months after the wedding to take a honeymoon. So don't feel pressured to take a vacation right away. Maybe take 3 days vacation time off work and stay at home? Then do a vacation away somewhere when you have the money.

My second cousin (? I don't know how those things work. My grandma's cousin's child) set up a honeyfund and I didn't mind doing it. I was just going to send them a check, anyways. I will not be doing one, but I don't have a problem with them. People should do whatever they want.

ETA: It also gave me the option to pay just the amount I wished, or to pay the fee for them so that all of the money goes to them. I chose to pay the fee for them. Just so you know, there is that option for guests.

• LJ411
    Master April 2015
    LJ411 ·
    • Flag

Go on a mini-moon and save for the real thing. I'm using smartypig to save for it - its a legit online bank that lets you set goals and time lines to save money. It also has a 1% interest rate thats compounded daily. If you want to try and save 6k for a honeymoon within a year, it'll help you - believe me!

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

If you cant afford to go on a honeymoon now, save and wait. You shouldn't have people pay for luxury items you can't afford. That's just like asking people for money to pay for your wedding. Don't register and hope people get the hint that you just want cash.

• adilou
    Expert June 2015
    adilou ·
    • Flag

Thank you ladies!!! i was alittle iffy in the forst place and you guys all confirmed it. I think we are just going to find a beach for a few days somewhere... save the fancy stuff until we can absolutely afford it. Smiley smile

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

And thank you for taking our advice rather than pouting if you didn't get the answer you wanted.

ETA: Words are hard.

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

We're using it. A lot of my friends have used it, and they really liked it. I don't think it's tacky. But that's just me!

• Kylene
    VIP October 2014
    Kylene ·
    • Flag

If you do end up going with the honeyfund route, I suggest not using honeyfund. They (in particular) are set up just to ask for cash. Like, type in the amount you want to give them and that's it. Super tacky.

I have had a few friends do other sorts of honeymoon funds that were a bit less tacky (travelersjoy.com for example). On that one you can enter in the things you want to do and the prices (ie. snorkeling trip for 2, $50/ticket, 2 tickets) and people can purchase that item. Technically you're still just getting a check from the webiste to spend as you want but it makes your guests feel like they're actually buying an item rather than just giving you money.

That being said, none of my friends got many hits on these websites and I still find it to be pretty tacky. I'd just postpone the honeymoon until a little later -- take a day or two away but save your money for something much more important to you (or for a time you can really afford it).

• adilou
    Expert June 2015
    adilou ·
    • Flag

Oh no! I appreciate the advice Smiley smile! I am not going to do it.. I definitely dont judge those who do (of which, I also appreciate the comments!).

we are taking and extended something after the wedding though! theres no way I will be ready for work monday... maybe a couple months after to get the wedding high back!

• AndixLyn
    Master June 2015
    AndixLyn ·
    • Flag

Aside from being kinda tacky, people give cash on their own and like to see a real item you enjoy, i could "pledge" to give $5000 and put anyones name, then you expect $ and never get it. someone did it as a prank to a recent friends rushed awkward wedding.

• MrsDean
    Master April 2015
    MrsDean ·
    • Flag

I don't think it's tacky either. I really don't see how registering for gifts isn't tacky, but having a Honeyfund is. I know, asking for cash vs. asking for gifts. The argument still doesn't make sense to me. A lot of people I come across are doing it, think it's cool, know someone's who has one and have no problems donating to it.

But if YOU think it's tacky, that's another story. Definitely do what you're comfortable with. A shorter honeymoon might work as well as waiting a few months. My FH is hell bent on going somewhere ASAP. We're still not sure, but we'll likely fly to Jamaica or Bahamas for a few days. I'd love to go back to Atlantis!

• Lady Firefly
    Master October 2014
    Lady Firefly ·
    • Flag

I don't get either why people think doing something like a honey fund or similar is any different the doing a registry. Whether your getting gifts you asked for or money to fund a trip you are asking for... What's the difference? No difference to me, your saying "if you plan on congratulating us with a gift please choose from these items preferably"

With that said I do not think it's tacky.

• OG Mrs.K (2.0)
    Master September 2014
    OG Mrs.K (2.0) ·
    • Flag

We're using it, and it has been a total success so far. For every $100 we have received (seems to be the standard donation amount people are giving so far), they charge us $2.95 for the Pay Pal fee.

• Kasheena
    Super October 2014
    Kasheena ·
    • Flag

I don't think it's tacky. I know a lot of pretty successful people, including doctors who have set them up for their weddings. I do agree that you should probably look into a mini-moon or delayed honeymoon if you need to depend on a honeyfund to actually take a trip.

• Kelsie
    Dedicated September 2014
    Kelsie ·
    • Flag

We are doing a honeyfund registry as well as a traditional registry. If people think it is tacky, they certainly do not have to buy from it, and since we didn't put it on our invitations or anything, we didn't shove it down anyone's throats. @Kylene - you can personalize honeyfund as much as you want too. We researched restaurants and activities that we wanted to check out on our honeymoon and included links to them so people could see them. Our guests could then purchase portions of those activities or experiences for us (snorkeling trip, happy hour drinks, dinner at a romantic restaurant, etc.). I think how tacky it is depends on the work that the couple puts into it. I had a friend who's honeymoon "registry" just listed three items: Flight, Room, Food/Drinks. Not a lot of people bought from that one. But so far we've had a great response to ours!

• adilou
    Expert June 2015
    adilou ·
    • Flag

Ps... i really didn't mean to make it sound like i was judgey about people using it... i rephrase "tacky" to "uncomfortable"... Smiley smile i am just not sure how others would perceive it.... i dont think it is tacky - that's why i looked into it.. but i did decide against it. I think we will just take a small little getaway and then take a real honeymoon a few months out when we can afford it Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    VIP June 2015
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

We used MyRegistry.com, which is a universal registry that lets guests go to one site where they see all the items you've asked for PLUS has a link to put money into a fund that you name.

Plenty of people will still give checks in cards, but we wanted our internet-savvy guests to have an option if they didn't want to write a check and have it sitting around the event venue.

However, we will NOT have a direct link to the "Honeymoon Fund" under the Registry section of our WW site - you'd have to go into the MyRegistry link and find it. We felt that was subtle enough to not over-emphasize the money vs. other gifts.

However, another point is that it's well known in both our families that my FH and I looooove to travel - it's one of the things we have in common, and we've been everywhere from NYC and Puerto Rico, to Japan, Amsterdam, Mongolia, France, Germany, Canada, etc. - so in our case, we know that our families will not blink at having this listed as an option, and the families all know FH left the Navy and just graduated with his Bachelor's degree, so money is tight while he's working retail until something permanent comes through.

I think it depends on your family, but I know ours won't think twice about it.

Agree with the others, that a 'staycation' or 'minimoon' can be a great way to decompress after a wedding, without the major expense. Most chain hotels in cities have long-weekend packages that are designed to fill their rooms on weekends, when business travelers are scarce. There are often 'romance' packages, too, that include in-room breakfast, late check-out, etc. Many will upgrade your room on check-in if you write a note in your booking and note that it's a honeymoon.

• Ariella
    Super February 2016
    Ariella ·
    • Flag

You could always wait until after the wedding to see how much money/checks you received as gifts and then use it for a honeymoon later.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics