Mandy
VIP May 2019

hmua Trial Opinions

Mandy, on March 26, 2019 at 12:22 PM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 24
Saved Save

I had my hair/makeup trial this past weekend. Looking for suggestions/opinions. To me, the hair wasn't quite what I wanted. It was too big/took up too much of my head and it's a little more messy than what I wanted. The makeup - I wanted something very natural..but I feel like I'm missing something and it's still not very bridal, even if it's natural bridal.

What I wantedhmua Trial Opinions 1What I ended up withhmua Trial Opinions 2Makeuphmua Trial Opinions 3

24 Comments

• Kiki
    Super May 2019
    Kiki ·
    • Flag

You are beautiful and your makeup looks great but that hair looks nothing like the photo.

• Kim
    Super September 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag

Your make up looks beautiful to me, not overwhelming. In the first picture, it looks like it's a loose updo, yours look more sleek. Maybe you can tell the stylist to make it more loose-looking for your wedding day.

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I was kind of bummed. I liked the top of the hairstyle - and I didn't get any of that in the style she did. I showed it to her a few times and she'd ask..I guess I should have printed it so she could hang it up and see. I feel like it takes up so much of the back of my head and I'm planning to wear a veil so I wanted a little smaller.

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks. I have fine, thin hair so I knew it wouldn't look quite the same..but she didn't do the top of the style at all on my hair. It was pretty flat on top as well even though she tried to fluff it up some.

• Kiki
    Super May 2019
    Kiki ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think you should print it out for her but also a photo of the front I think there should be some more hair in the front something like this.

hmua Trial Opinions 4

• A
    Expert June 2019
    Afterallthistime...Always ·
    • Flag

Yeah your hair does not look like your photo. I would contact your HMUA and let her know how you feel. See if she offers another trial. Or look around for someone else possibly.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

I agree with PP, the makeup looks beautiful. And to me the hair in the first pic almost sits lower on your neck compared to what she gave you which is higher on your head.

• Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    I agrees about the hair: the bun should sit lower & needs to be little “neater” in the back. I would maybe not pull hair as tight in the front, maybe leave few more strands of hair to frame your face or do a side sweep to give some lift in the front.

Makeup looks pretty & very natural. If you feel like it needs more oomph, I would try some light blush/cheek contouring to give you more defined cheekbones. Also brows could be filled in a bit more. Again, you look very pretty the way it is now, these are just suggestions if you want it to be slightly more.
  • Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's my plan is to contact her. Her trial prices aren't expensive so I'm not tossing her out completely, but it's not really what I was wanting. It's semi awkward because the hair lady is my makeup lady's mom..

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I was thinking looser on the top for sure to give it some volume. I'm even open to another style so it looks a little neater - or to tweak this one. I really liked the top and didn't get any of that look in mine.

My thought was to fill in my eyebrows some - and maybe contour is what I'm missing!

• Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally agree! I think you have makeup plan down, with little more brows & contouring, it will look amazing!
    For hair, I think you need to print few more photos from front & back & give it to your hair lady. I might be 100% wrong, but hair style to me looks little dated, as if it was done by someone older. Maybe all that’s needed is a sit down with photos, to explain to her exactly what you like. If that doesn’t work out, can you look for another hair lady?
  • Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

You're make up looks good, maybe add a little more shadow and lighten the lip? As for the hair though, she did not do that picture. Not that it looks bad, but it definitely isn't the same. Overall though, it all looks pretty!

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with these suggestions as well as the assessment the hairstyle she did seems a little dated. OP, I would also suggest a different lipstick shade because this one seems to blend in too much with the rest of the makeup. There needs to be a bit more dimension to the makeup. I really like your hair inspiration so hopefully she will be able to figure it out for you.

ETA: clarification

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yes, it looks like 1999 prom. They actually took a picture of it to post on their FB for prom season. I can look for others. I messaged her about not liking it, being too big, too prom looking, and not really looking like the picture. Waiting on a response.

• Allie
    Master August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

you are gorgeous! Maybe a little darker eyeshadow and more blush to make it pop? I think she definitely missed the mark on the hair. It needs to be lower to match your inspo picture more.

• Iva
    Super September 2019
    Iva ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Second the lip color comment. Little less orange/brown shade would make your lips pop out more.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

So I see what you wanted with the hair, a smooth low bun. But what you got is messy (like you said) and way higher up on your head. Have you already hired this artist? Did you express your unhappiness at the appointment? I think the makeup is really pretty, but you could do more eye or cheek color if you wanted!

• Brit
    Devoted May 2019
    Brit ·
    • Flag

Your makeup looks great, but maybe a lighter more shimmery lip?? also, your hair, while super pretty, doesn't really match the photo. If you keep it that way, maybe add tendrils in the front to soften it? Or add a braid, or a bump so it has more texture to it. But you look beautiful!!!

• Mandy
    VIP May 2019
    Mandy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I haven't hired her. I didn't get a super good view of the top of my hair/head at the appointment so I couldn't see it wasn't like the inspo picture. I messaged her with my dislike and concerns of the picture. She just wrote back and acknowledged it's not the same on the top at all. Her trial fees are cheap (only $25) so I said I'd be willing to come in again and try for this style. She told me my hair is completely different from this girls (which, obviously) and I shouldn't expect it to look exact. I get that, but c'mon...this is nothing like the inspo picture. So, I'll give her one more shot to make it look more like what I want..if not, I'll find another who can do it closer.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've never been told that & I have awful hair hahaha! My hair is thin & damaged & I have a weird "chemical cut" layer from bleaching too much. But I've been able to have pretty much any style I wanted, so maybe look for another artist?

Comment on this discussion