Angel_D
Master October 2015

Hiring vendors blindly....? 0_o

Angel_D, on September 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Posted in Planning 28

ah is it weird to anyone else to be expected to make a decision to book a DJ without having a personal consultation first? I just feel uneasy about booking someone without first having a 'in person' meeting.... specially a DJ/MC. reviews and emails just dont do it for me but i guess others out there...

Ah is it weird to anyone else to be expected to make a decision to book a DJ without having a personal consultation first? I just feel uneasy about booking someone without first having a 'in person' meeting.... specially a DJ/MC.

reviews and emails just dont do it for me but i guess others out there will feel differently. any had any experiences with this?

28 Comments

• Angel_D
    Master October 2015
    Angel_D ·
    • Flag

Yes my fiancé thinks its total bs. We aren't considering that company anymore. I can see how in some cases it's ok to hire blindly -- but not the DJ- in my case I wanted to make sure he spoke proper English and Spanish (which was one of the services he provides) - we me with a different one in person and loved him. His price is a bit high but we'll see what we can work out.

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

I need to meet everyone we're hiring. I was really excited about one photographer she had great recommendations and beautiful pictures, but when we met she did not impress me and we didn't click. If I hadn't met her and just hired her I'm sure our pictures would be beautiful any way but it wouldn't be as fun. The photog we went with is amazing and we get along great!

Meeting the DJ was important to us to make sure we have the right atmosphere, he was the first vendor we booked (after the venue) I am really excited about him.

• Mrs.Matthews
    Master January 2015
    Mrs.Matthews ·
    • Flag

I am having a DW we booked everything including our venue without seeing or meeting anyone.We actually just took a vacation to see and meet our vendors and loved it!

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I met ALL of my vendors face to face before booking them. He went to both venues, but the rest has been on me due to his schedule. I am glad I did this. Did not like the first videographer and the first photographer came off as being a complete flake who is VERY overpriced and narcissistic about her work.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I used to meet everyone. Now, I'd say that about 90% of my couples do a Skype video call or Face Time. Everyone is so busy that if we have to all wait for a time to meet, which is usually a weekend, the odds are that I'll be booked. I schedule at least an hour and a half to video chat answer all questions. Since my personality is often a factor, I think this gives everyone time to see how I present, and hear my speaking voice.

That being said, many of my couples come from venues, other vendors or other people they know (that I've married). And I', sure this works better for some vendors rather than other.....

• Rebecca
    VIP June 2015
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I booked my reception venue over the phone based on online reviews from brides, and looking at a lot of wedding photos posted on photographers websites... I couldn't get onsite and we were afraid we'd lose the date we wanted, so I just sucked it up. Given that it got 5 stars across the board, though - literally, there were only 4-5 stars on every site for them - I felt pretty good.

The DJ we'd seen work a dance party in town, so we knew we liked how she worked, and had a chat on the phone, and felt good about it.

• Jay Farrell
    January 2020
    Jay Farrell ·
    • Flag

If at all possible, you should absolutely meet them....if geography prevents it, you have to go by the tone and accommodation of the emails, phone call, reviews, etc.

• MrsLaguna
    VIP April 2015
    MrsLaguna ·
    • Flag

I booked my photographer without meeting her just went off by a couple reviews on the knot and how she responded to my questions. She lives like 4 hours away from me and there was no way of meeting before hand but I got very lucky because she turned out wonderful. Now, I don't suggest that for everyone you have to be 100% sure I like meeting but I am more of a E-mail Text person. I would just try to find someone you can meet in person.

Comment on this discussion