Angel_D
Master October 2015

Hiring vendors blindly....? 0_o

Angel_D, on September 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM Posted in Planning 0 28
Saved Save

Ah is it weird to anyone else to be expected to make a decision to book a DJ without having a personal consultation first? I just feel uneasy about booking someone without first having a 'in person' meeting.... specially a DJ/MC.

reviews and emails just dont do it for me but i guess others out there will feel differently. any had any experiences with this?

28 Comments

• J
    VIP July 2015
    Jesse's Girl ·
    • Flag

We live 6 hours away from where we will be getting married so all of our vendors are being booked across the distance. We've requested Skype meetings with all of our potential vendors before we booked them so we could get a feel for them and ask them questions, and they all have been very accommodating.

• KM
    Master March 2015
    KM ·
    • Flag

I've blindly booked almost all of my vendors so far, including the DJ. I don't really have a choice since I live out of town. I'm doing all of my meetings in one weekend at the beginning of October. I trust the reviews.

• Fabiola
    Dedicated June 2014
    Fabiola ·
    • Flag

We only had a phone conversation with our DJ, security guards, and violinist, so we trusted the reviews too. They all did an amazing job.

• Angel_D
    Master October 2015
    Angel_D ·
    • Flag

Oh boy, i live in the city we are getting married, a dj i was considering told me he doesnt do meeting for consultations, only to sign the contract. i just dont know,,,

• Courtney
    VIP January 2015
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

We skyped our dj. But if you don't feel comfortable, keep looking. I'm sure there's someone out there who would be willing to meet you for a consult.

• JanuaryWedding
    Super January 2016
    JanuaryWedding ·
    • Flag

He doesn't do meetings? That is a bit odd. I would look for someone else.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

No meeting? I'd probably just keep looking, sounds like he doesn't think it's worth his time. I understand a DJ may meet with 5 couples in a week and might get lucky if one books with them, but it's their job and it's just part of marketing themself. It just doesn't seem like they take it as seriously so just reviews would be hard to go off of.

When we booked our DJ we met with 5 and the one that had the lamest website and looked the nerdiest in his picture (seriously he looked like Bill Nye) was the one we went with. He had great things to say, we felt really comfortable with him and he had great ideas on the fly. It was totally a surprise! I would keep looking unless in your location the choices are limited.

• R
    VIP October 2015
    RhnCasi419 ·
    • Flag

Oh boy we are about to embark on the very same situation with our dj and my FH is uneasy about it, but we are both too busy to meet everyone of them (dj, florist, caterer ...) but I talked him into it and the end result will be all on me! We decided that the officiant and the caterer (a food tasting) were the only things that were an absolute must to meet first before we hire. As for the dj, I talked to 3 of them over the phone for 45 minutes each time, checked out the reviews and the one we chose has over 200 reviews, is familiar with our venue (which is important for setting up). So, we are "blindly" hiring him! My FH works 60 hours a week, then he works on his house over the weekends a lot. Time is an issue for us. I say that is the great thing about technology, maybe years ago we had go and see these people in person, but thanks to reviews not as much. If I were hiring a band I would definitely want to check them out in person. The biggest factor for me hiring the dj blindly was that he had done weddings at my venue this summer and it has been recent. He knows the place well for set up. Can you ask the dj if they have done weddings where you are having yours?

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·
    • Flag

We weren't able to meet with our DJ because we're planning from out of state, but we did talk with him over the phone. I don't think I could book someone without some form of contact other than email.

• Sarahdell
    Master October 2014
    Sarahdell ·
    • Flag

I hired our videographer over a year ago and did not meet him until 6 weeks ago. He cam on a recommendation from our photographer. I asked our DJ about him and he also said he has no reservations about recommending him. I think its fine to hire without a consultation if he/ she is recommended from a reputable source. I wasn't able to meet him because he lives so far away but had a enough people tell me he was good to go with it Smiley smile

On the other hand if he is just flat our saying he will not meet with you first, I would consider that a red flag. If you are willing to meet him and he is not willing to meet you that is a problem!

• Nancy Taussig
    December 2019
    Nancy Taussig ·
    • Flag

Reviews, recommendations from your friends and from other vendors, phone call if you can't meet in person.

• C + R
    Master November 2014
    C + R ·
    • Flag

I've spoken to all of our vendors over the phone, but our DJ is one person I haven't met yet. I'm not too worried about it with his good reviews.

• adilou
    Expert June 2015
    adilou ·
    • Flag

We haven't met a single DJ that WILL have a face-to-face consult in our area.. FH and I were very uncomfortable too since it's a big chunk of change heading their way. We are still looking!

• Natalie
    Master May 2015
    Natalie ·
    • Flag

To me a dj is someone that you want to get along with. Just because they have good reviews doesn't mean your personalities will work well together. Maybe see if the dj will do a phone call, at least that will give you a chance to talk to him. If not I say find someone else.

Our dj is actually someone I already know. He does events for my work. I haven't had a meeting with him and my fh yet, we just haven't been in a rush since the dj is holding the date already and we have been busy with other stuff. But the dj wants to meet with both of us to go over stuff before we sign the contract and pay a deposit. I am surprised a dj or any vendor wouldn't want to meet with you.

• Jess
    Master May 2015
    Jess ·
    • Flag

I booked my MUA blindly... there are only 4 in my area, and she was the only one willing to bend her minimum. She was on a list of recommended vendors from my photographer though.

I'd be wary of booking a dj blindly though. I'd at least want to have a phone conversation with them... personality is a pretty huge factor with a dj.

• Pancakes
    Master October 2015
    Pancakes ·
    • Flag

I think that's strange. I think it's important to meet in person. We even booked our DJ because of the fact that he has a store front and showed up the equipment and played us some samples. This really made the decision easy on hiring him.

Just because they are a nice person doesn't mean they are good at their job.

• FutureMrsZottola
    Master July 2015
    FutureMrsZottola ·
    • Flag

We have never met our videographer! I just read reviews online and hoped for the best! I did, however, receive a sample video in the mail from them. It's definitely scary but they were the best price with the best reviews.

• TammyNicole
    Super May 2015
    TammyNicole ·
    • Flag

I couldn't do it. I have to look into your eyeballs and make sure we have an understanding and on the same page.

• OG Ruth
    Master October 2015
    OG Ruth ·
    • Flag

The only vendor that I hired without meeting was the organist for the ceremony. She has done the majority of the weddings don at my church & my priest highly recommended her. Everyone else I had to meet & speak to in person.

• Tracy
    VIP February 2015
    Tracy ·
    • Flag

We're planning a destination wedding (in Hawaii) so we have had to book all of our vendors blindly. I went off the reviews and talked to them over the phone. But it sounds like this guy is a little weird. Who doesn't do in-person meetings when you're local? I would find someone else.

Comment on this discussion