Victorian Bride
VIP December 2019

Helpful Advice and General Support

Victorian Bride, on April 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM Posted in Fitness and Health 0 37
Saved Save
Hello Wedding Wire Friends,
At the end of January I began putting on a large amount of weight ( fluid/ edema) in my torso. I've been very ill, but at first just thought I had a bad virus. I put on 35 lbs in 10-14 DAYS. Thought maybe it was due to meds. Went thru a ton of tests. The results show I have congestive heart failure. A diagnosis which has shocked me to the depth of my soul. I've always associated that illness with an older person. Just fyi, I have many other fairly serious health issues. So being ill is not new.

Besides my unknown prognosis, NOTHING fits ( my wedding gown, none of my beautiful lingerie sets for my honeymoon, not one bikini, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one right now)!! I'm so upset and don't know what to do. Dr says a chance I can lose some of the water weight by our wedding in December. And I am trying to hold on to that hope.

Anyone else go thru something similar? Any words of wisdom or advice? The more I stress and worry the worse it is for my heart. I'm on complete bedrest and obviously cannot exercise. Not that exercise will help in this instance.

My seamstress did say she MAY be able to enlarge the corset back to accodomate my new figure. It just depends on my size at the time as my wedding gown is at least 2 sizes too small. I REALLY want to wear my gown. I even did the " bride cry" when I chose it, and I'm not a weeper. I am also not vain, but I've always had an hourglass figure, and I'm very critical of my looks. I don't want to look at all of our wedding pics and just think how fat I am. Medical expenses are outrageous, even with insurance, so purchasing a new gown is not an option. Plus, I'm too ill to go shopping if I did wish to purchase one. I guess I need to stop worrying and concentrate on healing.

I know God is watching over me through all of this. My FH is a doll. He keeps telling me how beautiful I am to him. I'm very self-conscious of how I look at the moment. When I recover enough to get married ( which I am DETERMINED to do), it'll be a blessing to just marry my future husband. The goal is to get married!!! Our road to marriage has been rocky, for those who know me. So we are very much looking forward to our wedding day and life together! Any words of encouragement, stories to share, thoughts, and prayers are appreciated. Thank you all in advance!! xo

37 Comments

• Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag

I am so so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for you! Both of my grandmother's suffer from CHF. Has your doctor suggested any medication? I think my grandmother's take something to keep the water weight under control but I'm not sure. I will do some research.

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Sorry you are going through this. Praying for you!

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

I am so sorry to hear all of this! I have been following your journey and all of the bumps and bruises to your wedding day but nothing will feel more magical than being pronounced his wife! Praying for your health and healing. You are a very lucky woman to have a man who is so unwavering and standing by your side who will be your husband. Hold onto that love! Praying for you.

• lizwidenhouse
    Beginner March 2020
    lizwidenhouse ·
    • Flag

I obviously don't know your whole health situation, but as a medical professional (PA) I can tell you there are medications, like Lasix, that help remove excess fluid from the body. If you are already taking that or a similar medication, or can't because of a different health problem, there are some other alternatives. Make sure you are really upfront with your healthcare team about your goals (medical and personal) and ask them TONS of questions. Have them go over your whole treatment plan including meds and goal timelines with you if they haven't already. I will be praying for you and your swift recovery!

• Jessica
    VIP October 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. I do not have any experience with it, but know that I am sending you good vibes and any love possible Smiley heart

• Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, Allie!! I appreciate you. Yes, I'm on medications for the fluid, but I only have one kidney so must be careful. He's put me on med drops that is supposed to make my heaet beat stronger, so I pray those work. Thank you so much!!
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, Danielle!!! You are so sweet!❤
  • Future Mrs. Polar Bear
    Super April 2019
    Future Mrs. Polar Bear ·
    • Flag

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening.

One story I can share is my mom has fibro, and many other health issues. Fibro keeps her down for the count a lot of days, she's always in an extreme amount of pain. My parents don't have really any money so medical expenses are difficult and its hard for her to get the care (medical) she really needs. So when my FH and I brought the idea of doing an elopement out-of-state I was worried. It's extremely important for my parents to be there. One side I knew my mom was thinking of the pain and the other side my parents haven't had a vacation since their honeymoon so the chance to get away from everything and enjoy their daughters wedding is appealing. They said "YES" right away of course, but it's been difficult. Its hard to tell your mom, relax, it's okay, so that she is healthy enough to travel and enjoy my wedding. She also has issues losing weight and is always depressed about it. Makes me really sad, but she is trying so hard to be positive through everything, just makes my FH and I realize even more how amazing parents they really are. My dad even worked a bunch of overtime so that they could pay their own way (even though we told them we'd pay for it). Makes me cry. The thought of having my dad being able to walk me down the hiking path to our ceremony location in his nice suit just brings tears to my eyes (happy tears) and my mom being able to be there and enjoy it. No matter what happens, them being their, and me marrying my FH is the most important thing in the world to me that day (3 days to go). Knowing my mom can enjoy herself, without feeling sad about having to ask to sit down or stand up because of fibro issues, because she knows we understand and we are their for her.

I even went out this last week and bought a book called "79 ways to help your fibro patient" patient meaning family member or friend. I read it in a day and have been implementing all that I can to help her out AND I got my dad to read it. Made my mom cry because we are trying so hard to make things better for her, and she really appreciates it.

The best thing you can do is try to be positive and if you need to cry just cry. It's okay to do so. Sometimes we all just need a good cry. You'll feel a lot better afterwards (even if you are like me and allergic to your tears and your face poofs up, ha!). Your FH sounds like a great catch, so hold onto his encouragement that I'm sure he's giving you. I wish you loads of luck and I hope everything works out for you. Smiley heart

• Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    FutureMrsKC, yes, I am one of the most fortunate women on this earth. Not to brag, but my FH is amazing. I love him so much! He told me he's been waiting his entire life for me. I'm the answer to all of his prayers. I agree, being his Mrs, FINALLY AFTER EVERYTHING, will be magical. We had a long discussion about " in sickness and in health" and he will take whatever we must face. Thank you for the prayers.
  • Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag

I am so sorry you are going through this! Sending healing vibes your way. Smiley heart

• Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Liz, my main concern is getting back into my gown, besides improving my health. Since I gained so much edema in a short period of time, lasix isn't working, it is possible, if we get the correct meds, for my weight to return to somewhat normal? My doctors and I are close. They've been caring for me for quite a few years. They definitely know my concerns, but no one has addressed the dress issue yet. Maybe they don't know or its because they are all male Drs. A wedding gown wouldn't be their first priority. Lol! Thank you so much!! You've been very helpful!!
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag

I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through! I'm glad you have someone like your FH by your side! Prayers for you, your strength, your FH and your future marriage!

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy Online ·
    • Flag

I don't know if this will be helpful to you or not, but I'll share it with you, just in case. My uncle suffered from CHF before he passed away, along with a bunch of other medical issues. He used to retain a bunch of fluid, like you, and would end up with what looked like a basketball belly. It was all fluid, and the medications he was on weren't enough to deal with that amount of fluid in such a short time. He was also diabetic, and had almost no circulation in his lower extremities, which didn't help with the fluid retention. So, about every 3 months or so, he would go in, and his doctors would drain the fluid out of his belly region. It was never a permanent fix, as the fluid would eventually build up again, but it was a temporary solution, mainly for his comfort I believe. But that may be what gets you back into your dress, if your doctors will do it.

I feel kind of stupid suggesting it, simply because I don't know you, or your full medical history, and am not a doctor. LOL I just figure it can't hurt to explore the option with your medical team, if you haven't already. But if it helps, go for it. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

I also want to say that for someone dealing with some really serious medical issues, you always seem so cheerful and positive when you comment on these forums. I admire that, and the great amount of courage you must possess in order to keep your spirits up every day. You probably know the phrase, "that which does not kill us makes us stronger...." Keep your chin up. You'll figure it out. Prayers and good vibes coming your way!!

• Allie
    Rockstar August 2019
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I just read about manual drainage which seems like it might be an option. My grandmother also wore compression socks, as she had edema in her lower extremities. I wonder if they make something like that for the torso. Definitely ask your doctor about those options.

• Courtney
    Super September 2019
    Courtney Online ·
    • Flag
    I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’ve seen your comments on many other threads and you always bring a positive, honest perspective to situations - I hope you can continue to do this for your own. I think you said it perfectly, the most important thing if your marriage to your FH. I would hope you’ll see your joy and strength in all the pictures you have of your wedding day. I do hope you can make your gown work, I think you’ll know closer to the time if that’s what you’ll feel most comfortable in depending on your health and alterations.
  • Chrystal
    Super May 2019
    Chrystal ·
    • Flag
    I’m so sorry you are going through this! I’ve had experience dealing with patient’s with CHF (I’m in my last year of residency). I think their are a lot of variables that will determine what size you will be. People with CHF tend to have exacerbations where they have more fluid than usually. I’m hopeful that with diuresis and fluid restriction you will be able to get a lot of the water weight off.

Another option to consider is adding panels to the sides of your dress. That’s what I had to do with my second dress. It was too small for my lower abdomen and hips. The panels aren’t super obvious either.
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Future Mrs. Polar Bear!! I have fibromyalgia, too. So I understand!! So sweet of you to share your Mom's story. I'm so excited you will be married in 3 days!! Congratulations!!! Thank you so much for your sweet words!! Will look forward to your BAM!! 💐💍
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, Steph!! I appreciate you so much!! ❤
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you, Jessica. The good vibes and love mean the world!! Truly.
  • Victorian Bride
    VIP December 2019
    Victorian Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Your words are like a prayer. My sincerest thanks!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I know you were just married. Simply thrilled for you. Again, I appreciate everything!!

Comment on this discussion