Macksgirl
Master August 2014

Help with changing my last name

Macksgirl, on August 18, 2014 at 8:11 AM Posted in Married Life 0 16
Saved Save

Okay, I am in a pickle!

Our HM isn't until OCT 11TH. But I am really wanting to change my last name, just to get it over with! I am worried because I need my passport for our HM and I am not sure if it would be done in time for the HM, along with the million of other things I need changed (license, SS card...etc)

Could I change everything, but still use my passport with my maiden name if I brought my marriage license?

Or should I wait to change my last name until after the HM?

16 Comments

• Eleanor
    VIP October 2014
    Eleanor ·
    • Flag

I can't see your wedding date. Are you already married? If you started the process now you'd PROBABLY be ok. For real piece of mind, you could expedite the process but I think that's over $100. I'd personally wait. I started the process like 6 weeks before a trip to Africa when I was in college. I got the passport in time but it was close. I wouldn't do it again.

• Meredith
    Savvy October 2014
    Meredith ·
    • Flag

Did you already book tickets? Whatever name you have on your airfare reservations and/or cruise reservations needs to match your passport. If you booked under your maiden name, it would probably be best to wait and avoid any hassle with security and customs. Where are you going on your HM?

• Laura
    Super December 2014
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I would wait until after. It should get there in time, but it will be close... And if anything goes wrong with the paperwork or they run behind then you are going to be stuck.

• Macksgirl
    Master August 2014
    Macksgirl ·
    • Flag

Our wedding was 08/09/2014

• Macksgirl
    Master August 2014
    Macksgirl ·
    • Flag

I booked with my maiden name.... so maybe I should just wait. I don't want to have to deal with all the hassle! But its really killing me not to change it already. LOL

We are going to Grand Cayman Island

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Do it when you get back.

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·
    • Flag

Your passport and airline tickets have to match. So, wait until you return if everything's in your maiden name right now. Trust me, the name change process takes some time anyway. Don't wish that time away.. LMAO. I'm just now getting done with the process and I got married back in May.

• Jessica
    VIP July 2014
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

If you can get it all done in time you can pay to have the airline change your name

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

It would probably just be better to wait since your airplane tickets and everything else is in your maiden name.

• Macksgirl
    Master August 2014
    Macksgirl ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone for your help Smiley smile I think I'm going to play it safe and wait it out.

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·
    • Flag

@Ashley, I hope it works out for you, but all it would take is one TSA employee in a bad mood to make you miss your flight and/or ruin your trip because of a technicality.

Master October 2013
    .... ·
    • Flag

You can change your name at SS and DMV but DON'T change your passport, as the passport has to match the ticket. Bring your marriage certificate just in case. I almost got screwed b/c I tried to book my tix in my new name (legally changed at SS and DMV) but my credit card wasn't changed yet. The site changed my name to match my CC. LUCKILY I had forgotten to mail my passport in for name change that day. I used my passport in my maiden name with my ticket and was just fine; they did not check my Driver's License, but I had my certificate just in case I needed it - I didn't.

Of course waiting to do it all is fine too!

Have fun!

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

What did you put on your plane tickets if you bought them already? Whatever that name is your identification has to mach.

• Kate
    Master May 2012
    Kate ·
    • Flag

I totally get wanting to change your name...I want to do it, like, yesterday, and I won't even be married for another two months! But it sound like you've decided to wait, which is smart. Enjoy your honeymoon!!!

• M
    Master May 2014
    MizizAngi ·
    • Flag

You can change your name legally with SSA/DMV and use your passport as identification - your passport is a legal identification, you won't need to show your DL. Just wait to order a new passport.

• Macksgirl
    Master August 2014
    Macksgirl ·
    • Flag

@thank you Jenn! Smiley smile We can't wait!

Comment on this discussion