A.Magill.Since.May
Master May 2018

Help need from fl residents who changed their name

A.Magill.Since.May, on May 23, 2018 at 1:38 PM Posted in Married Life 0 9
Saved Save
Hello,
I'm trying to get prepared for doing my name change paperwork as soon as I receive my certified marriage license so I can have everything done before I start my next semester as a TA (25 June) and I came across something that confuses me.
The SSA website says when you go report your name change, they'll mail you your updated SS card and it'll take 10-14 days to receive it. Then you take that card to update everything else.
However, in Florida there's a law that you have to go update your name with the DMV within 10 days of changing it with SSA or you'll be fined.
How can you do this if you need your new SSC as proof of name change?? Does the SS office just give you a certified copy of your application for the new card that you can use instead?
The timelines don't line up and I don't understand how it's supposed to work!

9 Comments

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    Ugh. The title is supposed to say "Help Needed" I hate that we can't edit anymore.
  • KB
    Dedicated July 2018
    KB ·
    • Flag

I was given a print out from the SS office that had the new information on it. IF I remember correctly (14 years ago) I used that to change everything else. I know it is a pain, good luck!

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for andwe what I was hoping they want give me, I want to get it all over with lol
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    Thanks for answering. That's what I'm hoping they will give me so I can get it all over with! Lol
  • P
    Super January 2019
    PalmTrees ·
    • Flag
    From what the Florida DMV says, you can go change it once it’s been updated in the SSA database, which generally takes 72 hours.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    But they still need evidence of SS and name change, or at least that's what the website says. I'm hoping they'll give me some documentation I can use.
  • Mrs.Whooooo
    Master May 2017
    Mrs.Whooooo ·
    • Flag
    Im not sure about FL, but I received a print out from SSA that stated I had changed my name with them. Kind of like a temporary ID. I’m in CA. I don’t know if something like that would work
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's probably what they'll give me. I'm just over thinking it lol
  • P
    Super January 2019
    PalmTrees ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    The database they have access to gives them proof once it’s updated. But I’m sure SSA can give you some type of print out as well!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics