A.Magill.Since.May
Master May 2018

Heirloom Wedding Dress Update

A.Magill.Since.May, on March 18, 2018 at 10:32 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 28
Saved Save

I've posted the progress of my dress (30 years old, worn by my FMIL at her wedding) and you can find the original pictures in my profile. This was my last fitting that my mom and sister were finally able to attend with me. The only thing that may change now is a bigger petticoat because I love the details on the skirt and think it being fuller is perfect. Here's the update!!!

Final Dress Fitting 1 (Bustle)Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 1Final Dress Fitting 2Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 2Final Dress Fitting 3Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 3Final Dress Fitting 4Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 4Final Dress Fitting 5Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 5Final Dress Fitting 6Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 6

28 Comments

• Orchids
    Master March 2018
    Orchids ·
    • Flag

It's beautiful, I'm in love with the front of your dress especially! Smiley heart

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I love it so much. It's beautiful now with the 80's sleeves and ruffles removed.
  • Mrs.W.
    VIP June 2018
    Mrs.W. ·
    • Flag

I absolutely adore the train on that dress. The dress is beautiful

• A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! The train is incredible. I also love how it looks bustled. Here is the full train (it's an old picture before the ruffles were removed)!

Heirloom Wedding Dress Update 7

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag
    That is so gorgeous! I love the progress and it looks so beautiful on you.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Mrs. P
    Devoted May 2018
    Mrs. P ·
    • Flag
    That is so pretty!!
  • Kristina
    Dedicated June 2018
    Kristina ·
    • Flag
    How gorgeous, and what a unique thing to do.
  • Amandaw
    VIP April 2018
    Amandaw ·
    • Flag
    Omg beautiful
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! If you look at my profile you can see my sweet MIL's wedding photos and the first time I tried the dress on.
    It's amazing that I'm the same size and height she was when she got married.
  • plangalCG
    VIP May 2018
    plangalCG ·
    • Flag
    Looks amazing! I remember when you first posted it—the vision is really coming together and it’s so special! My mom is 5’3” and I’m 5’9 and probably a good 4-6 sizes larger than she was on her wedding day and she asked me if I would want to wear hers. 😂
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! The size issue is the largest reason I'm wearing MIL's dress rather than one of her daughters. I'm 5'4" and at the bottom end of the healthy BMI range, and I still had to have the dress let out a quarter of an inch and cannot gain a single pound. MIL was really amused to realize she was even thinner than I am at her wedding.
  • Mrs.Hays
    VIP April 2018
    Mrs.Hays ·
    • Flag
    Beautiful!
  • C
    Dedicated April 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    Lovely dress, beautiful sentiment
  • Anna
    Expert June 2019
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    It looks incredible! This is so sweet and the dress actually looks GORGEOUS on you. How fun.
  • KarenO
    Master June 2018
    KarenO ·
    • Flag

Very beautiful and what a cool story!

• Arline
    Dedicated October 2018
    Arline ·
    • Flag
    I think it is amazing that you are wearing your FMIL gown. I can't even get my daughter to agree to wear mine, I've told her to have it cut and tailored to her fashion. But she still will not. I think it is a beautiful dress and even more beautiful that it is handed down, especially to someone who is not blood. My mil would have never done that. Heck she went so far as to say I could wear her pearls and then sold them before the wedding and accused me of stealing them. So glad is is now my ex monster in law. You have made me cry this morning, that is so special.
  • Alondra S.
    Expert September 2018
    Alondra S. ·
    • Flag
    That is beautiful! Congratulations on such a beautiful dress and it's amazing that you're wearing it. I'm also wearing my Future mother in law's dress this September, and I get to see the finished product in June! I can't wait. I hope it looks nearly as beautiful as yours.
  • Alondra S.
    Expert September 2018
    Alondra S. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm also wearing my Future mother in law's dress. Her daughter hurt her feelings when it was offered to her and FSIL said to just sell it on Craigslist. So i am wearing it!
  • Jo
    WeddingWire Administrator May 2015
    Jo ·
    • Flag

I cannot believe that's the same dress! You look fantastic in it and I'm crazy about the train and bustle

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics