Maggie N
Master August 2013

Heads up re: changing your name!

Maggie N, on October 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM Posted in Planning 0 37
Saved Save

Hey girls, just wanted to give you a heads up- and this is NOT intended to start a political discussion, so if someone comments like that I'm deleting this Smiley smile But, I did some research yesterday and with the government shutdown, Social Security will still issue checks regularly, but they will not be issuing new social security cards. So heads up for anyone hoping to change their name soon! I submitted my change in person last week, and I'm assuming it hasn't fully processed so I'm SURE I'll have to do it all again Just wanted to give recent brides and soon to be newlyweds a heads up!

37 Comments

• LaurenVictoria
    Super October 2013
    LaurenVictoria ·
    • Flag

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up!!

• Lindy13
    Super October 2013
    Lindy13 ·
    • Flag

WOW Thanks for letting us know! Totally didn't think about that one.

• Belais
    VIP October 2013
    Belais ·
    • Flag

*facepalm* I still have a few weeks before I would be changing my name, but ugh.

• Lindylu22
    Master October 2013
    Lindylu22 ·
    • Flag

^ What she said.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

Glad I did not drag my feet on getting to the SS office, I hope there aren't too many brides affected by this and thanks for letting people know Maggie before they took off work or made a pointless trip.

• Mrs V (Roe)
    Master August 2013
    Mrs V (Roe) ·
    • Flag

Me too @ Mrs. Pezz. I went in person last Monday and my card was in the mail by Friday. I'm hoping as well not too many brides are affected and the shutdown ends before there is a huge backlog.

• kysweetheart
    Super October 2013
    kysweetheart ·
    • Flag

So without a new SS card though?....oh no! this is not good.

• Kari  Taggard
    November 2019
    Kari Taggard ·
    • Flag

The whole govt shutdown is horrible! If anyone will be needing a passport for your honeymoon, give yourself LOTS of extra time! Those are being delayed as well. Smiley sad

• Laura
    VIP April 2014
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Woah I just got my new card two weeks ago. Went right in time. Im going today to change my license. Thankfully dmv's are open!

• Andre'ya
    Master March 2014
    Andre'ya ·
    • Flag

Hope this doesn't stupid govt shut down doesn't last till my wedding....the name changing is one of the BEST things I'm looking forward to...

Quick question: can you still change your name without a new SS card? And is this issue going to be resolved?

• Laudie
    Master October 2013
    Laudie ·
    • Flag

Good thing I was planning on waiting until after the honeymoon and most likely after the new year since holidays can be busy!

• Maggie N
    Master August 2013
    Maggie N ·
    • Flag

@Andre'ya, from what I understand, the new SS card is the first step to be able to change your name. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that is the cast! The issue will be resolved well, when the government reopens- hopefully soon!

• Tiffy
    VIP September 2013
    Tiffy ·
    • Flag

Yes that's the first step to the new you out last name

• Andre'ya
    Master March 2014
    Andre'ya ·
    • Flag

Thanks Maggie and Tiffy...

• MrsS2013
    Expert October 2013
    MrsS2013 ·
    • Flag

Thanks for posting this! One issue I haven't considered...wedding is 9 days away, should be getting marriage certificate a week after that, so i was going to take a day off to do my name change running around...looks like I'm going to wait now!

• PinkTractor
    Devoted September 2013
    PinkTractor ·
    • Flag

I still haven't changed mine. Guess its a good reason to drag my feet longer. Whoops.

I did change banks and work. They just needed a copy of my certificate.

• B'sWife
    VIP September 2014
    B'sWife ·
    • Flag

SS card is not a big deal at all. I lost mine in 1992 in a fire and have never replaced it. Been married and divorced since and still, never replaced it. My number never changed so as far as the gov't seems concerned as long as they get my money they don't much care what my card might say. Yes, you can change everything else regardless of your name change status with SS.

• Mrs.Rebeiro
    Master April 2014
    Mrs.Rebeiro ·
    • Flag

I just did this Friday! Thankfully you do not necessarily need a new SS card to make your other name changes.. If you go to SS building they give you a letter stating the name change has been done - This is accepted at DMV (in MA anyways) and I was able to do that the same day

• Maggie N
    Master August 2013
    Maggie N ·
    • Flag

Oh no way!!!! Thanks for the info, SoonToBeMrsR!!! That means I can go ahead with my drivers license etc!!

• Glenda
    Master October 2013
    Glenda ·
    • Flag

@Kari -- passport applications are not delayed. From the State Dept website:

"In the event of a lapse in appropriations, the Department of State will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide critical services to U.S. citizens overseas.

Processing time for passport applications remain at four weeks or less for routine service and two weeks door-to-door for expedited service."

That office is funded for the most part by the passport application fee that's charged.

Comment on this discussion