heidi
VIP October 2014

Has anyone done a sand ceremony?

heidi, on July 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved Save

FH and I are wondering how to pour the sand, as in the physical act of pouring it. We keep seeing stock photos that have this zig zag effect, but is that realistic? Is there a way to actually achieve that? I'd think the sand would end up blending together, like in the picture below.

And of course we can't practice this because there's no way to separate the sands out after pouring them. Anyone done this before and know the different pouring techniques - if there is such a thing? Just wondering what to expect.

13 Comments

• Maltese
    Master June 2015
    Maltese ·

I was at a wedding over the weekend and saw it go back and forth between the bride pouring a little bit, then the groom and then the pastor and so on until they were all out of sand (it was boring and made FH and I both agree not do it)

The zigzag affect like the first photo was probably created by each person pouring their sand close to the side of the holder (they are standing on opposite sides) and then the sand most likely falls naturally into the center just a bit

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·

We're definitely planning on pouring it all at once.

• Donna
    Master June 2014
    Donna ·

We poured ours together and it did blend together. We used regular ( not colored) sand from beaches that had significance to us and put it into a hourglass, so the pattern of the sand did not matter to us.

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·

The pattern doesn't necessarily matter. It will come out how it comes out. We're just wondering what to expect vs the media portraying unrealistic results.

• ottawa2014
    Super August 2014
    ottawa2014 ·

My FBIL and his wife got married in Dominican and did a sand ceremony. When they flew home, they packed it carefully in their carry on. The security person at the airport picked it up and said "what's this?" as he shook it vigourously...hahah. So much for the perfect pour!

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·

AH! That would have been frustrating. I've heard a lot of stories of people taking the container home and the cat knocking it over and breaking it and it has to be vacuumed up and thrown out.

• Laura M
    VIP August 2014
    Laura M ·

We ar edoing one, i'll let ya know how it goes. Ours is into a frame though, not a vase.

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·

We are doing the frame as well

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·

Bump

• Rachey
    VIP June 2014
    Rachey ·

The zig zag will happen naturally by taking turns. We ordered our sand ceremony set and decided not to do it during the ceremony. Instead we just did it by ourselves at home after our honeymoon. It came out just like that! Here's a pic. I think because the mouth of the container is small, we had to take turns, we tried doing it together at the top and we didn't really have enough room. If you had a larger mouthed one, I'm sure you could pour together if you wanted it blended.

• Angela Marie
    Master May 2014
    Angela Marie ·

Here is what our sand ended up looking like. We poured at the same time but his sand came out faster than mine.

• Angela Marie
    Master May 2014
    Angela Marie ·

Duplicate Post

• heidi
    VIP October 2014
    heidi ·

Very cool! Thanks

Comment on this discussion