You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

CKJL5410
Master May 2012

Has anyone been to France?

CKJL5410, on March 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 32
Saved Save

We are thinking of Paris for our honeymoon, but I would love to see as much of France as possible. I am thinking we will be there for about 10 days (unless I can convince him to go longer). Any suggestions/ reviews/ anything would be great!

32 Comments

• Ana
    VIP June 2012
    Ana ·
    • Flag

I went when I was in high school. I would recommend Givenchy (where Monet painted), Montmartre (in Paris), and Mont St. Michel. Oh and the American WWII cemetary at Normandy.

And make sure the hotel you stay in has an elevator. Not all of them do. And take the Metro!

It also helps if you at least attempt to communicate a little bit in French. Even if its horrible and you don't know a lot of words, they really appreciate the attempt. No one in our group had a bad experiences with the people.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

What type of places are you looking for?

I love La Rochelle and some of the Altantic islands- like Ile d'Oleron.

Royan is a popular seaside resort area.

Corsica is an island area as well, and very popular. It's a coastline area with really cool mountains just off shore. It's got alot of really cool historical places, including fortifications (castles) and I think it was the birthplace of Napolean. I would love to go back there!

In eastern France, along the Germany border is the Alsace areas. They are very well known for their wines. It's kind of a mix between the French and German cultures- but even if you speak French, they can be really hard to understand.

In nearby Strousburg- there is the only known WWII concentration camp located in France- since the region was taken over by Germans during the war.

• Puffins
    Master November 2012
    Puffins ·
    • Flag

Paris wasn't my favorite but I had a good 3 days there in August. I think traveling elsewhere in France is a really good idea! Ana and Meghan seem to have some great suggestions. I mean, definitely spend a couple of days in Paris - but take advantage of the surrounding areas.

As for what I DID enjoy:

Do the Fat Tire Bike Tour your first day so you can get a good idea of what's what: http://fattirebiketours.com/paris We did this last = rookie mistake

I LOVED the Eiffel Tower (start in the afternoon so when you are up there you can see the sun setting and the town lighting up, they didn't limit our time once we were up!).

I LOVED the Louvre and the Notre Dame. The Notre Dame we did in an hour or two, and the Louvre I could have stayed all week.

My friends also wanted to go to the Champs-Elysee's but being on a budget, it was just "window" shopping for us, and I wasn't too amused (I'm not the shopping type but the friends really loved it).

• Puffins
    Master November 2012
    Puffins ·
    • Flag

If you want to expand to other parts, I lived in London for a little while and also traveled in Ireland and Scotland, so lmk if you'd like any info Smiley smile

• Kimberly
    VIP August 2011
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

I'm with Ana, go to Givenchy! It was the most beautiful place I have ever been. If you want to relax head down to St. Tropez, absolutely gorgeous. The food was amazing too.

If you're going to the Eiffel Tower then I recommend climbing it. It's so worth it!

• Kerri
    Super July 2011
    Kerri ·
    • Flag

I definitely agree with Montmartre and the Louvre!

you should also try to see Versailles.

and do the Eiffel Tower at night!

• Thumbelina
    Expert May 2010
    Thumbelina ·
    • Flag

France is so beautiful and has so much to offer....I wouldn't try to cram too much in though, otherwise you are frantically running around trying to see as much as possible. I'd stay in Paris for about 4 days....if you are the museum type, the Louvre is huge and has a ton to see, and there are different quarters in Paris....plenty to do. Then choose another area to spend the rest of your time in....or do day trips from Paris. I know the feeling of wanting to see it all, but in the end you feel frazzled and anxious...pick two places and do them well. Then next time you go you can revisit a favorite and see something new! Have a great time!

• Kathleen
    Master August 2012
    Kathleen ·
    • Flag

Last time I was there was in highschool. Paris is a wonderful place and I would recommend the Eiffel Tower (at night) and the Louvre (if you're into art). But if you're going to be there for so long, and if your finances allow, you should travel all over France! Paris is the only place I've ever been, but there are so many wonderful places to go in France!

• CKJL5410
    Master May 2012
    CKJL5410 ·
    • Flag

Wow, I never expected so many responses!! Thanks guys!! I definitely plan on going outside of Paris, that will be our starting and ending point, but we want to do as much as possible. We would like to stay on or near the beach a couple of nights, and would love to see everything!! I will look more into all of these places, thanks!!!

I just asked him and he said a week, but I will find a way to sneak in a few more days Smiley winking

• Will be Mrs B
    VIP October 2011
    Will be Mrs B ·
    • Flag

I love Paris! Definitely check out Versaille (Sp?), its only an hour by train. We also went to champagne houses in a small town outside of Paris.

have fun! Probably my favorite city ever.

• Maui Bride
    VIP June 2011
    Maui Bride ·
    • Flag

I don't have any recommendations to add to everyone else's but have fun and give yourself enough time at each wonderful place! We did not control our jet lag very well at first so we got a late start everyday and I felt like didn't have nearly enough time at all the tourist spots.

• Lucia
    Devoted October 2011
    Lucia ·
    • Flag

Grasse is lovely and is the perfume "capital." It's a beautiful town with wonderful people.

Lucia

• Karen Guyt
    April 2020
    Karen Guyt ·
    • Flag

Oui! Its Giverny (Givenchy is a fashion designer who you may or may not find on a map) Versailles in beautiful, museums & cafes in Paris, of course, but I loved Antibes on the riviera best (http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/france/riviera.htm)

seconded by Normandy (need to go back & see the Omaha Beach WWII sites!) Conde Nast traveller had a nice article about touring in France off the beaten track. For inspiration read "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle

• CKJL5410
    Master May 2012
    CKJL5410 ·
    • Flag

Yeah I went with my family to Italy 7 years ago, and we tried to cram it all in. We went to Rome, Venice, London, Pisa, Florence.. and probably more in the 12 days we were there. I liked being able to see everything, but we were always rushing around. we would leave the hotel at 7 am and not get back until 10 pm, so we were exhausted after our vaca, but it was still a great time!

• CKJL5410
    Master May 2012
    CKJL5410 ·
    • Flag

Studio g, just tried to buy it for my Kindle, but it is not available on there, maybe I'll pick it up

• BrewerBride
    Savvy October 2011
    BrewerBride ·
    • Flag

Everyone has had awesome suggestions so far! I would add eating at one of the sidewalk cafes or restaurants, very Parisian (and fun people watching)! If you're looking for a smaller museum closer to the city than the Louvre, try the Rodin museum (the Thinker sculpture is there, and much larger than you would expect) or the Musee D'Orsay. There's so much to see and do, you really can't go wrong with your choices.

We also went to Provence, which is where they grow tons of lavender - if you're going to be there in early summer you might catch it in bloom (we just missed it and I was very disappointed, guess I'll have to go back!)

Not sure when you're planning to go, but I would avoid Paris in August since much of the city is shut down while everyone goes on vacation. And I definitely agree with Ana, if you try to speak the language (even if you're horrible) it goes a long way!

Enjoy yourself and take lots of pictures!

• Karen Guyt
    April 2020
    Karen Guyt ·
    • Flag

Try his website directly or call the store here in WA. Alternatively, I like Fodor's and Frommer's guides - hopefully one of them is Kindle friendly.

• Puffins
    Master November 2012
    Puffins ·
    • Flag

Oh yes - Musee D'Orsay!!!

I don't know - for me 3 days in Paris was plenty for me. Maybe it was just due to the heat and getting tired of my traveling buds. But please do look into doing the Bike Tour first, they literally take you allll over and you can decide what places you'd like to return to.

• krystal
    Just Said Yes May 2012
    krystal ·
    • Flag

All the places listed are great, Paris is a beautiful place. If your looking for something a little more "different" then you should go to Les Catacombs, you go underground where there is tunnels under the roads and there is bones piled high to the ceiling. They are put in some neat designs like hearts and crosses. Like I said its a little differnt but kinda neat to see. Here is some websites with pictures. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g187147-d189229-w2-The_Catacombs_Les_Catacombes-Paris_Ile_de_France.html#24940727

• Mary
    Super July 2011
    Mary ·
    • Flag

I lived in Paris for several years, so my answers might be biased...

Try day trips to Versailles, Giverny, Chartres, St Denis (which is practically still Paris), St Germain-en-Laye, etc. Between the public transportation system and guided tours, you can see lots of France without having to take your suitcases out of Paris.

I also love the Mont St Michel, St Malo, and Brittany in general.

We had a great time on a self-guided bicycle tour through the chateaux in the Loire Valley last summer (if you are into bike riding, wineries, and little towns).

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics