Ramona
Dedicated August 2011

Hair Crisis!

Ramona, on July 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved Save

Ladies, I'm stuck.

My Dilemma: I am typically a short hair person. I love how easy it is and I have been told and feel that I am looking better with short hair. With the wedding coming up I however decided to grow my hair out so that I could wear it elegantly for the wedding. Now I have 29 days to go and don't know what to do - cut or no cut?

Long hair doesn't feel like me, but then again isn't the wedding day to be special and different anyways? I would have to braid my hair or do an up-do, cause down it would be sweat soaked in no time (August beach wedding in GA)

What do you say? Go with feeling yourself and being more cute than elegant or fancy-ing up for the wedding and having the elegant hair that everybody expects you to have?

Thanks for your input, I am seriously torn!

15 Comments

• Anjuli
    Expert August 2011
    Anjuli ·
    • Flag

If you still want long hair for an updo or whatever you can always do extensions.

It sounds like you like short hair better- how short is short?

• FMS, the barefoot wife!
    Master August 2010
    FMS, the barefoot wife! ·
    • Flag

You should have your hair that is YOU. If short hair is you, then cut it. If you're unsure, go for a trial run of your wedding hair wand decide from there.

• A
    Devoted October 2011
    ALC ·
    • Flag

Go with what is you. You dont want to look at your pics 10 years from now and be like who is that girl

• Ramona
    Dedicated August 2011
    Ramona ·
    • Flag

I am thinking of sth like this - but a bit shorter in the neck.

Right now they are a little over shoulder length and I was thinking about braiding them like in the second pic - which I really like too

Both fit a part of me, the short the fun, playful, lighthearted, adventurous me and the long rather the elegant, serious, romantic lady-side

I asked FH what he likes better - but of course he likes both - no help from that end!

• Michelle
    Devoted November 2011
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I say if you like it short and you find a cute style that way then by all means do YOU!! especially if its gonna be hot lol

• Ramona
    Dedicated August 2011
    Ramona ·
    • Flag

Thank you girls for your input!

• NJ Bride
    VIP September 2011
    NJ Bride ·
    • Flag

The wedding day is all about being the best version of ourselves we can be. Smiley smile Fancy makeup and hair should be about masking small imperfections, not changing who we are! If you don't feel that long hair is you, go ahead and get it cut! The last thing you want is to look back at wedding pics and say... who is that girl 'cause it sure doesn't look like me?!? If you're going to cut it, do it soon though 'cause they say it takes 2 weeks for your hair to settle and behave after getting it cut!

• Ashley
    VIP September 2011
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

I love short hair too (at my chin- see default pic). Now my hair is approaching my collar bone, and while it has its benefits (poneytails>awesome), it often gets on my nerves. But, it's also at the awkward 'hit your shoulders and flip out' phase. I bought hair extensions for my wedding day- here they are in (no make up- not the cutest lol).

I say do what you feel pulled to. You likely won't regret it, and you can make short hair look just as pretty as long. You wear the hair- the hair doesn't wear you. Smiley smile

• Ramona
    Dedicated August 2011
    Ramona ·
    • Flag

Sigh - if only I would know what I feel pulled too... So torn - but what am I whining - I have a man by my side who loves me with short hair, long hair or no hair =) it could be much worse! Smiley smile

• Anjuli
    Expert August 2011
    Anjuli ·
    • Flag

I think you need a bridal hair trial with your current hair. Once you get that done see if ya LOVE it. if ya dont then thats your answer and cut it short.

• Mrs.
    Expert July 2011
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I'm kind of in the same dilemma - I've always had shoulder length hair & the past couple of years I've let mine grow out... so now it's at my belt line. It's not ratty or gross or anything, I get it cut regularly & take very good care of it - but since we're getting married on the beach (8 days!!) & having the honeymoon right after... I'm SO tempted to cut my hair before the wedding, that way I don't have to put up with it in the hot weather during the honeymoon! Tuesday is my hair appointment for highlights & a cut... so it'll either be 4 inches off - or 10. LOL!

• Mrs.
    Expert July 2011
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I guess I didn't really answer your question, but I say do what you want. You can always get extensions or just have a short hairstyle. If you like having short hair, then go with short hair! Smiley smile

• Ramona
    Dedicated August 2011
    Ramona ·
    • Flag

LOL reading all your comments makes me think that most of you probably wopuld consider my hair short - it's just over shoulder length - just enough to braid it =) When I say short I mean SHORT! Smiley smile

As I will do my hair and make-up myself there will be no bridal trial for me.

Stephanie - good point, the short hair would be so much more comfortable in the heat of a beach wedding!

Screw this -I am getting an appointment with the guy that does my hair and will ask him to don me a nice short cut that I can style elegantly for the wedding.

In the end - Halle Berry looked pretty hot and elegant on the red carpet with her short hair =)

• cew2
    Super June 2011
    cew2 ·
    • Flag

I think either way would be cute for a beach wedding. It sounds like you made up your mind already, but if you still have doubts, I would go to your stylist and have them do your hair in the braid to see how you like it. If its not your favorite, then chop it!

• Ramona
    Dedicated August 2011
    Ramona ·
    • Flag

Thank you ladies! I spent some time today trying out hairstyles (as I have to do my hair myself at the wedding too) and found a kinda loose updo that looks good when I curl my hair - tried it on with everything - the whole nine yards - dress, tiara, veil, jewelry - and I REALLY like it! So I will keep it long til after the wedding and then - who knows? Maybe I will keep growing them out and just accept that as a different side of me?

Thank you for all your input and help!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics