Kimberly
Just Said Yes April 2018

Hair and Makeup Trial... did not love.

Kimberly, on November 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save

Sooo I just had my hair and makeup trial. I liked the look, but was not totally wowed like I wanted to be. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do? Try another vendor or go back to the same one for another trial? I don't want to keep dishing out money. Ugh! Help!

19 Comments

• Jenifer
    Dedicated September 2018
    Jenifer ·
    • Flag

Do you have any photos or specifics about what you liked & didn't like?

• DoggoMom
    VIP August 2016
    DoggoMom ·
    • Flag

I hate my first trial. Ditched that stylist and found a new one. I'd look around and see what other options are available.

• Kimberly
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

I know I for sure disliked the bottom eyeliner... I'll definitely not do that for the wedding. Perhaps my eyeshadow was too dark. But just the whole package, I was not loving it. And I really wanted to!

• QueSeraSera
    VIP December 2017
    QueSeraSera ·
    • Flag

I had trials with 3 different MUAs. Yes, it was $$$, but everyone will be looking at you and those photos will last forever, so I want to look my best

• Mrs. Sitz
    Master July 2016
    Mrs. Sitz ·
    • Flag

Well, without pics, I can't be of much help!

• Danielle
    VIP March 2017
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

the same thing happened to me....I really didn't like my first trial. My mom and sister kept trying to tell me it looked good but I didn't feel pretty at all. I honestly felt like I could've done a better job myself.

I found someone new. I did wayyy more research the second time around and looked at previous work on their instagrams. I ended up just doing a hair trial with the new one bc I really didn't want to dish out more money and I knew she was super talented from her Instagram. If I had the money yeah it would've been nice to do a makeup trial because I probably would've changed my eyeshadow color slightly but that's really about it.

Here's a comparison of first trial vs day of with new HMUA.

• Jennifer
    Super May 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Pics??

• Kimberly
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

Thank you all for the info! Here is one pic (because WW won't let me add more) from my trial. Like I said, I liked it, but didn't love. Side note: she did two hair looks. My hair will be up for the wedding. The problem too is I didn't have time to have her make adjustments because I had to get to my engagement pictures photo shoot. They only allotted two hours, but then she even went over the two hours and I had to get the heck out! Anyhow, now I don't know to try with her again and request no eyeliner on the bottom, minimal on top and then do lighter and more shimmery eye shadows that I typically do or just try someone new.

• snowangel
    Super March 2017
    snowangel ·
    • Flag

If you generally felt comfortable with her, I would try to talk with her about your concerns and maybe do a second trial. It sounds like she was willing to take more time with you to get your vision right and make changes (going over the timeslot), but wasn't able to do so since you had to get going for your engagement shoot. If the issue is more that you felt like she totally didn't get what you wanted, wasn't listening, etc. then I would be more inclined to try a different hair and makeup artist.

• snowangel
    Super March 2017
    snowangel ·
    • Flag

Also, I also wasn't a fan of the super heavy eyeliner on the bottom either. My MUA took the time to show me how it would look with less eyeliner and also did it with brown liner instead of black so it wasn't as dark. If you are just feeling that the eye makeup is too bold or dramatic compared to what you usually wear, I encourage you to wait and see how the engagement pictures come out. While it might feel like a lot when you look in the mirror, pro makeup tends to be heavier so that it shows up in pictures.

• Kimberly
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

Thank you, Snowangel! I may try talking to her. I do love a dramatic look and a lot of makeup, so that's not an issue. I just almost felt like there wasn't enough foundation and coverage. I left and still saw my blemishes. And then my under eye area looked dark like, my shadow fell haha. The really big bummer is I wanted to try airbrushing, and as my luck would have it, she didn't have the machine. I believe others at that boutique do, but not her. She did say if she were to get one before my wedding (less than 5 months to go now) she'd give me a complimentary trial with the airbrush.

• jennifer
    Expert June 2018
    jennifer ·
    • Flag

I went to 5 places. One place I tried twice because I liked the girl but the makeup got worse. It was a lot of money, but at least now I know on my wedding day I'll look good. Picture one and three are done by the same girl. The blue sweater pic is the place I'm going with. Trust your gut. If you want to give her a second chance go for it. One place I didn't give a second chance to was the place that forgot to have the makeup artist there for my trial.

• Heather
    Super April 2018
    Heather ·
    • Flag

I didn't like my makeup trial whatsoever and decided I'll just do my own makeup for the wedding. I am comfortable doing my own makeup and feel like I will look more of myself if I just do it. My hair trial thankfully went great! (now I'm trying to decide between the three hairstyles we tried)

• Del
    Master November 2017
    Del ·
    • Flag

Yeah, I see what you mean. I don't think there's enough shading in the eyes - it's just black with no contrast or variation. A stronger foundation would have helped as well, though I think your cheeks do look pretty. Some lipliner and a richer color there would also be good.

ETA: You can take her your notes and see if she'll give you another trial to convine you she can do the job, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere.

• Kimberly
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

Thank you all for the comments and advice! I think I'll be trying another place. I really do want airbrush and she does not have the capability. I'll be making sure to give way more input to the new place!

• Leila
    Super October 2017
    Leila ·
    • Flag

I was not wowed by my hair but it did the job. I didn't have anything specific in my mind .

• Jenifer
    Dedicated September 2018
    Jenifer ·
    • Flag

Based on all the comments, I think you should try a new place and be very specific about what you're looking for: full coverage, contouring, sparkle on the eyes, etc. I think the colors overall were good on your complexion, and your lashes were fab. Check back in with photos after your next MU trial.

• Kimberly
    Just Said Yes April 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone! I'll definitely be doing another trial with a different place! I'll keep everyone posted!

• Staci
    Super February 2018
    Staci ·
    • Flag

I wasn't in love with my makeup. I love my MUA so I talked with her about doing more and changing some stuff up. I'm having another trial this month.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics