Victoria
VIP February 2018

Hair and makeup additional fee

Victoria, on February 13, 2018 at 12:11 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 27
Saved Save
When I originally booked my HMUA they had me paypal them the money and all was good & well. Tonight I went to pay off the rest of the balance and they told me my only option was to Venmo it - which cost me an additional 3% ($40 for me) fee. I told them this and they said “oh, strange” and then stopped responding to messages related to that.

Id like to tell them where to shove it & that I’ll take my business elsewhere for 7 girls hair & makeup, but 12 days before the wedding that just doesnt seem like the most rational choice.

Should I fight them for the money? Tip less on the day of? The owner is one of the stylists that I’ll have so maybe we should just tip her less?

27 Comments

• Marie
    Devoted March 2018
    Marie ·
    Who are you using if you don't mind sharing. Forty dollars is a lot! That's my opinion.
  • Victoria
    VIP February 2018
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ll share after the wedding, I’m a bit concerned about there being retaliation since they’re active on here. I’m in southern California though so unless you’re from here I wouldn’t worry.
  • Married and Loving It!
    Super February 2018
    Married and Loving It! ·
    Is there a 3% fee because you are using a credit card through Venmo? I don’t get charged when I use my bank account. I would keep trying to contact them some more- calling. If it is an issue of using a credit card through Venmo that isn’t their fault, if it is there fee I would ask if you can pay cash or check.
  • Victoria
    VIP February 2018
    Victoria ·
    I suppose I should’ve added that they assured me I wouldn’t be charged a fee on venmo since they’re a business.
  • Victoria
    VIP February 2018
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I did use credit card, but only because they assured me there’d be no fee.
  • Married and Loving It!
    Super February 2018
    Married and Loving It! ·
    Ps- I’m in southern CA too! Getting married 2/25
  • Victoria
    VIP February 2018
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    We’re so close! The wedding stress is driving me insane - it’s crazy to say that it’s next weekend.
  • Married and Loving It!
    Super February 2018
    Married and Loving It! ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes it is so close! We are excited. I wanted to elope so I feel it takes a lot of the wedding stress off since I didn’t plan on having a wedding anyways. Hang in there and just remember to keep sipping that champagne!
  • Married and Loving It!
    Super February 2018
    Married and Loving It! ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That is super annoying I would keep addressing it and if they don’t help out with it tip the owner less for miss leading but I would tip the rest the same since it isn’t their fault. Include your full experience after the wedding in your reviews, customer service, being mislead, and if satisfied with the job they did.
  • Katie
    Super June 2019
    Katie ·
    Thats pretty odd that they changed their method of payment from PayPal to venmo. What if you didn't have venmo? I honestly don't know what you should do, I just think that's super unprofessional, especially since they just stopped responding.
  • W
    Beginner August 2018
    Wendy ·
    You shouldn't get charged for a fee on venmo. I've never gotten a fee, but then again, I don't link it to my credit card. Seems like an easy fix?
  • FilleNouvelle
    Expert April 2018
    FilleNouvelle ·
    Honestly, I don't think it's indicative of them trying to deceive you...that fee you paid goes to venmo, not them. They probably shouldn't have told you it would be fine without knowing, but that's more just dumb on their part. I'd still use them and just tip less.
  • Victoria
    VIP February 2018
    Victoria ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Good point about still tipping the rest of the stylists the same, since the owner is the only point of contact I have.
  • K
    Devoted September 2018
    kNrYwC ·

The venmo website says if you pay transactions with a credit card there is a 3% fee .. that isn't the policy of your hair and makeup artists. Taking it out on them in their overall compensation isn't fair. You can link your bank account instead of your credit card to your venmo to avoid the fee.

• The Nuptials
    VIP July 2018
    The Nuptials ·
    Pretty sure PayPal has a fee for a credit card as well. Maybe not if you paid by using friends and family, which you shouldn’t do with businesses, there is no protection.

link your bank to Venmo and there is no fee.
  • Spaghetti
    VIP November 2018
    Spaghetti ·

Venmo warns you that there is a fee, if I had seen that warning (which I have) then I would have added my bank account to be safe (which I have done). I do agree it's still wrong of the business to brush it off like it's not their issue. If they are being rude about it then I'd probably deduct it from the tip and mention it in a review later on.

• Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·
    View Quoted Comment

I use Paypal for my business and I get charged over 3% per transaction. I let my clients know their options well ahead of time and if I forget I eat the 3%. I think your vendor should do the same for you OP!

• starsinwaves
    VIP November 2018
    starsinwaves ·
    Just an FYI, some banks don’t have an agreement with Venmo so there’s a charge. When I had a Discover bank account, I was charged 3% to use it with Venmo. I always asked people to PayPal me (it’s literally the same service and I don’t even understand why Venmo exists or why it got so popular, but I digress).
  • An
    Super September 2019
    An ·

I would be very annoyed especially since you inquired but unless you have a solid back-up plan and no penalty for cancellation I would not cause a fuss over $40. I would still tip the same and include this in an objective review after your wedding...maybe they will offer to pay it back to you.

• Chip
    Master March 2018
    Chip ·

Paypal and Venmo are now basically the same company -
    I would just send the money to the paypal email you had before

Comment on this discussion