Lynnie
WeddingWire Administrator October 2016

Guest List Battles: Will you meet anyone for the first time at your wedding?

Lynnie, on March 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Posted in Planning 0 45
Saved Save

Between your budget and venue capacity, friends and family - creating your wedding guest list is an insane balancing act! One of the guiding guest list principles is that you should know everyone invited to your wedding. Sounds easy, right? Well, from extended family members to plus ones to that person your mom says you have to invite - you might end up with a few people you haven't met yet!

Will you meet anyone for the first time at your wedding? Who??

Guest List Battles: Will you meet anyone for the first time at your wedding? 1

Photo by Chris Lauren Creative in Novi, MI

Guest List Battles: Will you meet anyone for the first time at your wedding? 2

Photo from Kelly Robbins Photo & Film in Seattle

For more discussions about key guest list decisions, check out: Is your wedding adults only?, Are you inviting your boss or coworkers to your wedding?, and How much input did your parents have on the guest list?

45 Comments

• Alicia
    VIP August 2019
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

Yep, some of FH's out-of-town family and a couple of his coworkers will be strangers to me.

• Amber
    Devoted July 2019
    Amber ·
    • Flag

NOPE. I refuse. If i haven't met you, you're not invited.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag

Both of us will be. A few of my aunts and uncles that FH hasn't met. FH has one aunt and cousin I will be meeting for the first time.

• Future Mrs. Polar Bear
    Super April 2019
    Future Mrs. Polar Bear ·
    • Flag

Nope! Everyone I know already.

• Adrianna
    Devoted June 2020
    Adrianna ·
    • Flag

If one of my cousins and his wife come to my wedding, then that will be the first time my FH meets them. Other than that, we both have meet all of our extended family!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

Yes. I haven't met all of FH's family, and there are some plus ones that were given out as well.

• Jazmin
    Rockstar April 2019
    Jazmin ·
    • Flag

We're having a micro wedding so I know everyone except for my husband's niece, but she's only 6 months old. We will meet the night before the wedding though. Smiley xd

• AQuixoticBride
    VIP July 2018
    AQuixoticBride ·
    • Flag

There were several people I hadn't met before at our wedding. These were mostly DH's friends from where he used to live before we met. I hadn't met them because of the distance. There were several family members of mine that DH hadn't met, and a couple "plus ones" that neither of us had met. When your friends and family are spread all over the country and overseas, it's pretty easy for people to not have met.

• Cynthia
    Expert June 2019
    Cynthia ·
    • Flag
    Yes. So of my FH coworkers and some of his cousins and other out of town family members
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I will be meeting all of my fiancé’s family and friends
  • Abby
    VIP March 2019
    Abby ·
    • Flag
    There were a bunch of people from my now husband's side that I hadn't met till the day! Including his sister who lives in CA and we're in NC so it makes sense.
  • JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag

I think we ended up knowing everyone. There would have been an SO of a guest, but she was sick and did not come.

• F
    Dedicated November 2019
    Fia ·
    • Flag
    Yep....both of us actually..I've haven't met his boss and some of the guys he's inviting. He has yet to meet my MoH since she lives in another state.
  • Katie
    Devoted July 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Only possible plus ones! Like I have two nieces in their early 20s, who knows who they'll be dating by next summer!
  • Lafuturaseñora
    Devoted April 2019
    Lafuturaseñora ·
    • Flag
    I’ll be meeting one of my FH’s aunts for the first time & some of his coworkers.If my biological siblings come I’ll meet them in person for the first time & if anybody brings a plus one.
  • Mrs.
    Super May 2019
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

I'm meeting pretty much all of his family on his dad's side for the first time, except for his grandparents.

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I haven't met some of FHs extended family, as they live out of state. They are already planning to come to the wedding, though, so I'll meet them then, or a couple days before, when they arrive in CA.

• tmanscavo
    Dedicated May 2019
    tmanscavo ·
    • Flag

Oof a lot. I'll be meeting most of his side the day of. He will have met a fair amount of my family but only because we have a memorial service coming up. We've been together for such a short time and I've been in business school for almost all of it, so I'll be giving a lot of awkward "nice to meet you" hugs that day!

• Futuremrsk
    VIP August 2019
    Futuremrsk ·
    • Flag
    One of FMILs friends, and possibly a friend plus 1. Not too many though. We decided not to invite most of his uncles and aunts for this reason. He hasn't seen or talked to them in over 5 years. His mom asked to invite her best friend. We couldnt say no to her, especially since she is helping financially. And it's literally 2 people, so not a big deal to us.
  • Selena
    Super September 2019
    Selena ·
    • Flag
    Yes, at least 1/3 of the guest list. FH family and friends are spread across the globe.

Comment on this discussion