C
Super June 2011

Grooms Cake...

ChancesAre4u, on October 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Posted in Planning 0 21
Saved Save

FH is a hardcore GAMER! So to surprise him and his "boys", I am going to do the XBox cake, I got a quote from the baker of $300.

Are you ladies doing surprise grooms cakes? If so, what will it look like?

21 Comments

• Mrs. Katie Rinker
    Expert October 2009
    Mrs. Katie Rinker ·
    • Flag

Wow thats a great price & We didnt do a grooms cake, b/c we had a huge dessert room!!! But I love the Xbox cake, totally cool!! He's going to love it!!!

• S
    VIP June 2011
    SuchaDiva ·
    • Flag

My FH is also a huge gammer. But more than games he isa big fan of comics. So I am going to get him a cake of the Green Lantern symbol. I haven't gone to get any quote yet. But that price is great that you got

• C
    Super June 2011
    ChancesAre4u ·
    • Flag

I think the price is a little high...I am going to keep shopping around.

• Amanda D.
    Super July 2010
    Amanda D. ·
    • Flag

I'll be doing some sort of surprise grooms cake. Either Milwaukee Brewers or police (he is trying to become a police officer...will hopefully be hired by the wedding!).

• I
    Super December 2010
    icart ·
    • Flag

What is a grooms cake? sorry to sound a bit off but don't they eat the same cake everyone does at the wedding.?? and besides what if they don't eat cake but drink beer and Jack?

• C
    Super June 2011
    ChancesAre4u ·
    • Flag

I will be doing the groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner.

Here is the tradition:

The Groom's Cake Tradition

A long-standing tradition in the southern United States, a groom's cake is a gift from the bride to the groom. Think back to a scene in "Steel Magnolias" where all the women are having a discussion about a red and gray cake in the shape of an armadillo. That armadillo was the groom's cake Shelby was planning to give her husband-to-be.

What is a Groom's Cake?

A groom's cake is typically smaller than the couple's wedding cake, one layer only, and is decorated to reflect a particular hobby or interest of the groom. or example, a hockey fan's groom's cake may be made in the shape and color of a hockey puck. The groom who enjoys shooting hoops could have a groom's cake resembling a basketball. If the groom likes to strum a few tunes from time to time, then a guitar groom's cake is perfect.

• C
    Super June 2011
    ChancesAre4u ·
    • Flag

The history of a groom's cake goes like this. The groom's cake was not to be served to the guests while at the wedding reception, but rather it was to be sliced up, placed into packages and given to them as favors when they departed. Single women at the wedding would take their pieces of cake home and sleep with it under their pillows in hopes of dreaming of their future husbands.

As mentioned above, tradition dictates that the groom's cake is handed out to guests as favors when they leave the reception. But, in these days, you can serve the groom's cake whenever you see fit. Some couples like to share it with their wedding party at the rehearsal dinner. Some offer it to the bridesmaids after the reception to enjoy with drinks. Others like to keep it handy just in case there is not enough of the wedding cake to go around. Perhaps the most romantic thing is to take the groom's cake with you after the reception and enjoy it the next day as a "sweet" start to your life together.

• DreamComeTrue
    Master June 2011
    DreamComeTrue ·
    • Flag

That cake is hot! He and his boys will go crazy!

• I
    Super December 2010
    icart ·
    • Flag

Thank you Chances.. I might have to think about that but my FH doesn't eat sweets.. and what he likes might look wrong as a cake.. Bull shaped cake would look bad.. but I will think of some thing for him. Maybe a very large cookie with a cowboy and bull rider on it for them.

• B
    Devoted April 2010
    Bride2be ·
    • Flag

That cake is amazing. They will go crazy over that.

• C
    Super June 2011
    ChancesAre4u ·
    • Flag

What about a Horseshoe cake or cookie, that would be awesome. or...a Jack Daniel Bottle shaped cake or cookie.

• R
    Devoted November 2009
    RachieL7 ·
    • Flag

We are skipping it due to budget concerns but I am going to make him a surprise for the rehersal dinner.

• Ellen Smith
    Devoted July 2011
    Ellen Smith ·
    • Flag

My FH love the NY Giants so I plain to surprise him with a NY giants jersey cake or maybe a helmet or something not really sure yet, but I no I want to wow him.

• Aussie Bride
    Master February 2010
    Aussie Bride ·
    • Flag

Im starting to wonder if I should surprise FH with a grooms cake. I dont know whether to do this at the wedding or at the rehearsal but it would be kinda nice. Im thinking since he loves the cubs maybe something that will suit that. I know he would appreciate it.

• ImSoBlessed2HaveHim
    Savvy May 2011
    ImSoBlessed2HaveHim ·
    • Flag

@Chances thank you for explaining the groom's cake. I was totally lost on that. I know what FH would like, but I have no clue when to surprise him with it.

• Jessica
    Super October 2009
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

My FH isn't really a fan of cake, but he loves chocolate pie, so his Mom is making a couple of pies for our rehearsal dinner. It's going to be a casual dinner (pizza and a few extras) so it fits perfectly!

• S
    Devoted June 2010
    sheila ·
    • Flag

I'm having a cake made like an ipod for FH he loves music so I thought that would be nice for him but I'm going to give it to him at the reception.

• mandi
    Expert March 2010
    mandi ·
    • Flag

I'm not doing a groom's cake- we're just having one cake... but it's going to look like this:

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/big-cake556.jpg

FI is a firefighter... he's really excited about this. Smiley smile His sister is making it as her gift to us.

• Danielle S
    VIP June 2010
    Danielle S ·
    • Flag

Mandi I love that cake it is so amazing!!! and thanks for explaning the whole thing about the grooms cake I never understood that. We are having a friend make us the wedding cake. Maybe I can ask her to make the grooms cake for me too although we are on budget and all. Something small and I am not sure of what yet. He is into so many different things but I will think of something. Then I have to think of where to serve it. I like the idea of waiting until the day after the wedding to have it. So cool!!

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

I decided to get one, wasn't going to but our baker said she would make one for $35 for me, I am also having it at the rehearsal dinner, I talked to the restaurant and they said no problem dropping it off earlier in the day and after we eat and they clear everything they will bring it out, it is ALL chocolate (inside and out, mmm) his fav, I wanted a design cake to represent his personality but the 2 I wanted, she couldn't do because they are licensed and she could get in trouble, oh well, so he loves choc Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion