Ramier J
Dedicated July 2019

Groom and Groomsmen Suits

Ramier J, on April 24, 2019 at 12:06 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 18
Saved Save
How far out do the groom and groomsmen start looking at suit rentals? My FH insists it’s still too early to start, as his body could change between now and July. I know the bridal party is a lot more complicated so we’re at least done on that end. Thanks for any advice!

18 Comments

• Nafisah
    Super May 2019
    Nafisah ·
    Usually men only need a couple of weeks. Especially if they're renting them. If he's getting one made that's a different story (my fiance is dramatic and got a tux custom made). I would contact the place he plans on getting one to see how much time they would need to get him the suit, but he should be fine.
  • L
    Devoted June 2019
    LaShonda ·
    It's never too early. I need try one to find looks, check sizes and design availability... we had trouble with several suit stores we tried and we started looking in July last year and just found a decent store to get us what they need for a good price n good service... plus it gives time for everyone to get finances in order because they are not cheap and time to catch sales and coupons. I just wouldn't alter it until a couple of weeks out... the stores will hold the suits until alterations r finished .. gl n congrats!
  • Paula
    Super September 2019
    Paula ·
    I want to look now but he says it's still too early. I don't know how sizes run so want to make sure they have it in his and the BM size.
  • Jen
    Just Said Yes May 2019
    Jen ·
    Mine was renting and did it two months before but the guy there said someone came in just that week a week before their wedding. Call the place to find out what they need.
  • Fiona
    Expert October 2018
    Fiona ·
    If you are renting from Men’s Warehouse you should go now and find what you like and get everything set up in the system. Then the groomsman can go on their own time and get measured. You don’t want to wait until the last minute so that you can ensure they have what you are looking for and can reserve however many suits you need. Your fiancé will also get measured but if he feels like his body changed then he can go back and get remeasured as close as two weeks before I believe (check with the sales person to be sure of dates). If he is buying off the rack I still recommend going now things can always be altered if there’s a change but waiting to the last minute is risky.
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    We had to have all measurement submitted a month before. I think everyone went in about 5 weeks before. Husband went 6 and we got everything picked out and he tried his on.
  • Tara
    Dedicated September 2019
    Tara ·
    Honestly we started looking early and I’m really glad we did. We went to a couple because my FH wants to buy his suit and you can definitely tell the difference between the cheaper and more expensive suits. When we found the perfect suit, it forced him to go to the gym and with 5 weddings next year to attend, the suit pays for itself.
  • Hannah
    VIP July 2019
    Hannah ·
    We are getting married July 20 and went end of March to pick things out. The guys got measured to. We went to Men's Warehouse, and they said everyone can come back like a month out and get re-measured if they think it's needed. We just liked having everything picked out and reserved so we could just cross it off the list.
  • E
    Dedicated July 2019
    Emerita ·
    Me Wedding is July 20th as well. We got the suit for my husband, but not yet for the groomsmen. But I agree with the ladies. It’s better to get it sooner than later. Enough time to find a suit and design that fits well.
  • Alyssa
    Super September 2019
    Alyssa ·

You all are making me feel much better about my FH dragging his feet to get this done. Our wedding is in September and he has not even begun thinking about this.

• Tara
    Expert June 2019
    Tara ·
    I would start it now. At least go to stores, pick out a suit style, and start a reservation group. My fiancé keep dragging dis feet on this too because in his head he had time (we are getting married at the end of June), but I told him that that is rude to his groomsmen because you are then deciding their time as well and they have different schedules than you.

For our group, we sent out the emails, they join, purchase the rental, and get sized. It has a date that everyone must be sized by so you do not have to do it all right away, but at least get it started! Like his son is a kid so we are doing that last minute as he can grow a bit between now and then. Other than that, any measurements you do now to order, unless you go on a crazy diet/workout regimen, you should be about the same and they will do alterations if you need them when it comes in!
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    We made the reservation with Men's Wearhouse in November for our August wedding. The guys have up until July to get fitted.
  • GoingGarcia2019
    Dedicated May 2019
    GoingGarcia2019 ·
    My FH is renting through Black Tux and I think they really only require a month advance to order. We had decided before that though, and set up our choices online in February/March for a May wedding. He and his guys went into a store together (they have physical locations in some Nordstrom’s) the first week of April and all got measured. I think how early you start looking depends on if you know where you want to go and generally what you’re looking for. You two could at least pick a style and have him measured a little later.
  • Future Mrs. K
    VIP June 2019
    Future Mrs. K ·

We are renting through Men's Wearhouse and we are 8 weeks out from the wedding. FH and his BM went two weeks ago to get sized and paid. My dad went last week. My brother (GM) is going this weekend and my FFIL is going next weekend. We have one more GM who still has to go.

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

We are about to make our final decision for our July 20 wedding, but we started looking in January.

• Ramier J
    Dedicated July 2019
    Ramier J ·
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I managed to convince my FH to schedule his appt this Friday 😀.
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    You should start looking early to pick which place you want to use and to pick which tux style you like. That took us way longer than expected (we didn’t like the first couple places we tried, for various reasons) so I’m glad we started looking early. Once we found the store we liked and the tux we liked, we asked when we should come back to get measured and place the official order. The guy told us sometime in April (for our June 2 wedding) but honestly even if we had waited until May it didn’t seem like it would’ve been a problem. We used a local place... men’s warehouse I know you only have to order 14 days before your event.

So I think you’re both right actually hahaha. You should definitely start looking now, and have a solid game plan for where you’re going to go, what you’re going to get, and when you’re going to get it. But hold off on actually getting measured and placing the order until it gets closer
  • Gen
    Master June 2019
    Gen ·
    View Quoted Comment
    ^ yeah similarly we started looking in January and only made our final decision a few weeks ago! It’s a big thing to decide, you don’t want to rush the process of choosing

Comment on this discussion