JNav
Devoted September 2017

greece

JNav, on March 28, 2018 at 10:16 AM Posted in Honeymoon

Has anyone been to Greece for honeymoon? Husband and i were unable to go right after the wedding and planning our honeymoon for our 1 year anniversary (6 months to go) and need info on Greece. Where did you go? where did you stay? for how long? Did you spend a lot once there? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

*Also, when did you go*

Share:

26 Comments

• RachMariee
    Dedicated June 2019
    RachMariee ·
    Following!
  • Bianca
    Super August 2019
    Bianca ·
    I want to see where this discussion goes because Greece is on my list!
  • Jennifer
    Master September 2018
    Jennifer ·

There is a bride here Pegs who is getting married in Greece! She may be able to give you some insight!

• Elizabeth
    Expert April 2018
    Elizabeth ·

We will be going in one month!!! We did a lot of research. Flying into Athens, spending one day there doing the tourist stuff, then headed to Crete for 4 days and then Santorini for 4 days. We've done a lot of research, but haven't actually experienced it yet, so I can't really give any recommendations. But happy to answer any research questions I can. We picked a few dates/flight options and set up a google flight tracker. We were just about to give up and pay the standard $1500 per ticket but google emailed me saying they were on sale for $500 each RT. So I recommend flight trackers! There's a website everyone loves with a ton of information, I think he specializes in Santorini, but there's info on the other islands too.

https://santorinidave.com/santorini

I've heard that Greece is only worth going to if you go to the islands. One or two days in the city is all you need to check it off your list and get somewhere better. I've seen this online and also my from FH's coworker who used to live there. There was a "BAH" (back and honeymooned) post about someone going to the Greek Islands from a few years ago. I've read it a few times to get some tips. Try searching for that.

• Future Mrs. T
    Expert May 2018
    Future Mrs. T ·

Ahhh my fiancé and I went for two weeks back in September! it was AMAZING. Here is my FB post that explains where stayed, what we did, etc since a ton of people wanted to know!

Many of you asked about this trip so here goes! Check out the album as well - I put some tips in the captions

We booked through go-today.com They did an amazing job and had the trip pretty much planned out for us. This wasn't a tour - but we did end up meeting some people with our exact same itinerary so we tried to stick together for cab rides and such. They planned out everything from flights, to hotels, to transportation and kept the communication super easy.

Tips for Greece in general:
    -do not flush toilet paper
    -do not drink the water
    -bottled water is usually brought to your table. They will charge you for it - usually 1.90 Euro for 1.5L but by law, they have to sell small water bottles for .50 Euro so if you don't want the big water let them know. Bread sometimes is brought out to you and is charged as well.
    -Servers like to take your whole order at once and they will put your bill right on the table before bringing anything out.
    -purchase alcohol from markets or stores to save money.

Athens:
    -Use the subway! It is super easy to get around and is way cheaper than a cab! (local tip... they use an honor system to pay. Use that as you will.)
    -Go to the old neighborhood of Plaka for dinner. It is magical to eat dinner while listening to traditional Greek music and drinking wine.
    -go to the rooftop bar A for Athens. The locals want to keep this a secret from tourists, but it has the best cocktails and view of the Acropolis! You enter and it looks like the lobby of an apartment building - so I believe it was sort of a Speak easy.

Mykonos:
    -The bus is great for transportation here, however we rented a four wheeler (only 35 Euro a day) and saw everything we wanted to that way.This was our highlight of Mykonos
    -all beaches in Mykonos are amazing. Paradise and Super paradise beach are the party beaches.
    -Chora - the downtown area is amazing and the streets are like a dream.

Santorini:
    - it is very hilly. Bring your walking shoes!
    -If you do a boat tour down at the old harbor, you can take a cable car or a donkey down. Now to get back up there is usually a long line to get back up by cable car. If your only options are to take a donkey or walk, TAKE A DONKEY. Trust me. We decided to walk and almost got sick from the smell of donkey poop, almost got trampled by donkeys, almost died from exhaustion. This was the worst decision we made the whole trip. Never walk those steps. You'll thank me later.
    -We didn't get to do this but I hear cliff diving in Amoudi Bay is amazing
    -we thought the volcano/hot springs tour was overrated, but LOVED the all day Santorini guided tour.
    -The red beach and black beach are worth seeing
    -the White door theater is a must see if you like interactive plays. This was Justin's favorite part of the trip. They reenact a Greek wedding from the 40's and all the attendees are the cousins. You get a ton of wine and Greek tapas. So much fun dancing and watching the performance!
    -Oia is known for the sunsets, but it also if the most touristy, crowded, and most expensive part of the island.

Crete:
    - I loved Crete the most. It was the least touristy and most beautiful in my opinion. This island actually is self sufficient and doesn't depend on the rest of Greece which I thought was interesting.
    -We rented a car and drove out to Elafonisi the Pink beach and it was so worth it.
    -you've gotta try the olive oil and Raki from here. Both are delicious.

I know Ive forgotten stuff but take the trip to Greece. It is AMAZING

• Future Mrs. T
    Expert May 2018
    Future Mrs. T ·

This is the exact package we did with Go-today. It spells out all the different hotels/transportation, etc.

https://www.go-today.com/stw/STWProduct.aspx?Package=yes&Theme=GT&ProductCode=GR-ISLJNY12NT#package-landing

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·

I'm here!

I'm so glad you guys are looking into Greece. It's my favorite place to visit and offers so much to do and see. This is what I recommend:

1. Fly into Athens (Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport). The best time to visit Greece is anytime from May to September. Those are the warmest, driest months with the most tourist traffic. July and August are your busiest months. I would stay at least a week. Anything less than that is just hectic and tiring.

2. Stay in Athens for 2 to 3 days, tops. It's such a historic city, and you'll want to say you visited Athens. I always make an effort to visit the Acropolis, Parthenon, the Acropolis Museum, Monastiraki Square, Plaka, and Ermou Street. You can travel around Athens via taxi, bus, metro, and car rental, but I wouldn't recommend driving in Athens unless you've driven in large metropolitan cities like Rome, NYC, or London. It's just nuts!

3. Greece is very safe however, as with any travel, please mind your belongings. It's easy to fall into tourist traps and to get items stolen that aren't being watched. Also, nearly everyone speaks English. You will have no problem communicating with locals. I always recommend talking talking to locals. They are extremely knowledgeable and will point you in the direction to hidden gems.

4. From Athens, you'll want to visit two to three islands. At each island, you'll want to stay to stay three to four days, tops. Anything more becomes draining, and anything less is nothing enough. There are literally HUNDREDS of islands to chose from, each offering something different and unique. The most popular islands, of course: Santorini, Mykonos, Crete, Zakynthos, Rhodes, Corfu, Paros, Naxos, Lesbos. My favorite is Zakynthos. Islands are split between the Aegean Sea and the Ionion Sea... Aegean (Santorini, Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes, Paros, Naxos, Lesbos, etc.), and Ionion Sea (Zakynthos, Corfu, etc.). Generally, Aegean islands are drier and Ionian islands are greener.

5. Most islands can be reached by plane from Athens airport. From your hotel, take a taxi or the metro to the airport. If you decide you'd like to take a more scenic route, you can take ships from Piraeus Port or Rafina Port (depending on the island). It'll take much longer (like, many hours) to get to the island, but it's so beautiful on the ship, seeing the water and mountainous landscapes, and also, it's much cheaper. A ticket on a boat to Crete can sometimes be half of that than flying. Flying though will get you there in 30 minutes. In order to get to the next island, you'll have to book a flight from that island to the next... (example: from Santorini to Mykonos or from Crete to Rhodes).

6. Do you research on each island you choose. The best beaches, the best restaurants, where to stay. Again, Greece is an extremely tourist-friendly island and there are thousands of reputable hotels to choose from.

7. Try foods like souvlaki, pita, mousaka, pastichio, horiatiki salata (Greek salad), amazing seafood, and delicious desserts.

8. Finally, at your last island, book a flight back to Athens. Stay in Athens that night, near the hotel, and next day, travel home!

It is super easy, you just have to ask. If there's anything specific you'd like to know beyond this, please let me know!

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·

Also, little things you may or may not realize:

1. Yes, do not flush the toilet paper. The sewage systems in Greece and many countries in Europe are not as strong as those in the USA.

2. The water is not as bad as some may think. I've been visiting Greece for 20 some years and never had a problem. I do prefer bottled water though. It taste 10 TIMES BETTER than bottled water in the States. Little things I notice lol

3. Most will accept credit cards (say, at restaurants or shops), but everyone prefers cash. You can withdraw Euros from any ATM.

4. Bring comfortable shoes. You will be walking a lot, to say the least. Also, it's smart to bring a light sweater for the night. It can get chilly.

5. Try using Greek words! Kalimera (Good Morning), Yia Sas (The formal way to say Hello), Kalispera (Good Afternoon/Evening), Kalo Vradi or Kalinihta (Goodnight). Rosetta Stone is your friend!

• JNav
    Devoted September 2017
    JNav ·
    View Quoted Comment
    THANK YOU and yes please, any research tips would be greatly appreciated. Did you guys book on your own or with an agent

• JNav
    Devoted September 2017
    JNav ·
    View Quoted Comment
    THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THIS!!!

• JNav
    Devoted September 2017
    JNav ·
    View Quoted Comment
    WOW, thank you sooooo much for ALL of your insight! especially this second post. its literally little things one would not initially think of. I feel like now i can definitely know where and when to look. thank you thank you thank you!!!

• 2018 Bride
    Devoted September 2018
    2018 Bride ·

We are thinking about doing part of our honeymoon in Santorini so this is super helpful! I've never been but I have a friend who studied abroad there and said the islands are much more interesting than the big cities like Athens.

• L
    Expert October 2018
    Linda ·
    We are in Greece now. Though not for a honeymoon (though my future MIL calls it an early honeymoon). We are doing northern Greece in the mountains. It is beautiful though a little chilly this time of year but not nearly as croweded as the coast and islands. People are great food is AMAZING. If you like history and hiking I recommend it.
  • JNav
    Devoted September 2017
    JNav ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Im from NY so i guess i could definitely drive in Athens lol. But im on vacation, i probably wouldnt want to anyways haha

• Pegs
    VIP July 2018
    Pegs ·
    View Quoted Comment

I love mainland Greece. I'm from Nafpaktos and Messolongi (Central Greece). We visited Thessaloniki a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It's so scenic in mainland Greece, so beautiful.

• Bunnycita
    Super October 2017
    Bunnycita ·
    Wow. That's where I want to go too! Thanks for the thread!
  • J
    Devoted June 2018
    Janette ·
    I'm going to Athens and Crete while I'm on my honeymoon in August.

I'm staying with a close family friend in Athens so I'll get a local perspective too. In Athens for a week and a half before Crete and spending Crete in two different locations as our port will for the ferry to get back to Athens is changing.
  • L
    Expert October 2018
    Linda ·
    View Quoted Comment
    We were in Thessaloniki a few days ago Meteora 2 days ago and Zagoria now. They’ve all been stunning and beautiful
  • ISaidHallYes
    VIP November 2018
    ISaidHallYes ·

I did not go for my honeymoon but I just spend some time there this summer for about two weeks and could give you some tips. I was there in August and did Athens and Santorini. It was way more expensive than I was previously thinking!! In Santorini there are two main sections if I remember correctly Fira and Oia. Both are beautiful with the later being the more romantic and quiet. At night it gets super packed though to watch the sunset but you can get beautiful rooms. Everything is up on a cliff so to get down to the boats it is a nice steep walk or a donkey ride (which is both dangerous and ethically ill advised). I stayed in Fira in a budget hotel that was still about $160 a night but super friendly staff. It was easy to get to Oia but I would think for a romantic trip you would want to stay in that part. The architecture is seriously stunning!

Santorini - Oiagreece 1

Let me know if you have any other questions! I would be glad to help. Not sure how to give out my email address on here but if there is a way to private message to give it to you let me know!

• ISaidHallYes
    VIP November 2018
    ISaidHallYes ·
    View Quoted Comment

I took a donkey too but then felt terrible after hearing how they are very seriously ill treated. A tourist died as well.

Comment on this discussion