Rachel
Beginner August 2019

Greece honeymoon — on your own or tour guide?

Rachel, on March 12, 2019 at 8:55 PM Posted in Honeymoon 1 4
Saved Save
Hi all! My fiancé and I have decided on Croatia and Greece for our honeymoon! We plan to spend about 2-2.5 weeks in Greece, about 1 week on the mainland to see Athens, Corinth, Metorea, Olympia, etc. and then a week in Santorini and/or another island. My main question: Should we try to tour the mainland on our own (renting a car or taking buses) or hire a private tour guide to drive us around and give us more in-depth history of all the sites we see? Any tips, tricks, or recommendations are welcome!

4 Comments

• Monica
    Dedicated April 2021
    Monica ·
    If you like sticking to a specific plan than tour guides are fine. If you like going out on your own to explore usually there are locals that will tell you of the best things to do and see, then you can manage your own time.
  • Christie
    Dedicated October 2019
    Christie ·
    It depends on your personalities and the PP said. I studied abroad in Athens and have spent a significant amount of time on Santorini. It's very easy to get to Santorini from Athens (Piraeus). You can buy ferry tickets on any of the ferry websites or in person in Athens. The metro goes down to Piraeus.

On Santorini, just rent a car, take the bus, or walk. If you want a fabulous, cheap hotel, look at Villa Manos. It's literally my favorite place to stay in the world. You can easily walk to Thera from it and the owners are spectacular. The usual ferry route goes to Paros, Mykonos, and Naxos too.

There are guided trips from Athens. I never did them but there are travel agencies with short trips all over should you decide to go guided. Personally, but I'd take the bus down through Corinth to Nafplio, but that's just me 😉

You have a pretty wide range of places you want to go, so honestly I'd pick Athens and one other and Santorini and one other. You'll find when you're over there that the pace of life is much slower. Truly get to know a select few places rather than rush to do everything.

And eat at Old Ithaki across from the church in Athens on your first night!
  • Rachel
    Beginner August 2019
    Rachel ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! And we’ll check out your recommendation!

We would definitely do Santorini on our own. We’re just torn about the best way to see the main land historical spots. Would you say it’s relatively easy to rent a car and drive around yourself if you’ve never been there? I’ve read mixed opinions on the safety of that and road conditions.
  • Christie
    Dedicated October 2019
    Christie ·
    I would do it in more rural areas, but there is nothing that would get me to rent and drive a car in or around Athens. I'm an extremely confident driver but no way. Be sure you're comfortable with the language before driving too or at least are able to recognize key words. The roads are fine as far as I remember, especially main highways.

Comment on this discussion