Karen
VIP June 2012

Friday weddings

Karen, on November 8, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Posted in Planning 61

Anyone else out there getting married on a Friday? Im so excited about "bucking traditon" and knowing that the people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there, not just" 3rd cousin so an so" who has nothing else to do on that weekend....

Anyone else out there getting married on a Friday? Im so excited about "bucking traditon" and knowing that the people who show up will actually be those who really want to be there, not just" 3rd cousin so an so" who has nothing else to do on that weekend....

61 Comments

• Dena&JD
    Master April 2012
    Dena&JD ·
    • Flag

I love the way you explained it Meghan!! 10 chocolates ;-) lol

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

We didn't have our ceremony on a Friday, but we did have our at-home reception on one. Then again, a) all of the reception guests were local, b) we didn't start the reception until 8:00, and c) we made sure to have food available from the moment they walked in.

• Tach
    Master July 2012
    Tach ·
    • Flag

It really does depend on your crowd, if most people are like Meghan it would be hard to make it. For the majority of our guests it's actually easier to get a Friday off work than a Saturday, so we chose Friday. Obviously, some people do work on Fridays so we will be doing a later ceremony and while we are saving money we were thinking of our guests.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

2d- that's completely different. You had an at home reception- so people could be late if they needed to be... And you started at 8pm, giving guests plenty of time to get home, decompress from the day's stress, change, get babysitters, feed kids, grab a snack, sort through the mail- or whatever their typical get home from work routine is...

Your plan was accomodating, and respectful of guests time and other obligations.

• Ashleigh
    Expert June 2012
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag

Okay can i just throw out that getting married on a friday is the norm where i'm from i really dont' think she was trying to be rude or anything, and actually where i am it is cheaper to get married on saturday i'm just saying

• Karen
    VIP June 2012
    Karen ·
    • Flag

Let me begin by saying that my plan is repespectful of my guest, we've only invited our closest friends and family (while i do have many "3rd cousins" that I'd love to see, this day is intimate intentionally and I have seen many weddings, both those of family and friends where extended family attends out of obligation, my comment was meant to put a lighthearted humorous spin on that scenerio). My wedding is not an evening wedding, it is @11:30am, it's either you can make it or you cant, so no worries about working that long day and then trying to get there completely exhausted. I have verbally given my family and the close friends we've invited a year to "save the date" and they have just recieved thier actual "save the dates". The responses have been very positive, almsot every one saying they wouldnt miss it for anything. THATS who I want at my wedding, and thats who is invited. Many are even commenting that its the perfect excuse to take the day off.

• * Gin
    VIP April 2013
    * Gin ·
    • Flag

I think everyone's situation is different and there are many reasons people choose different days of the week. I am probably going to go with a Friday date, because yes it is thousands of dollars cheaper in regards to venue rental. We are traveling from Germany to the States for our wedding and 95% of our guests will be coming from out of town, the majority spending the entire week at the beach with us. We are having a small wedding of 50 guests. Having it on a Friday will also allow us time to spend with our friends and family after the wedding on Saturday as well, having a more relaxing time at the beach before everyone heads back home on Sunday.

• Karen
    VIP June 2012
    Karen ·
    • Flag

As for accomadating my guest, they will be treated like royalty from the moment they arrive , with waiters on hand with mimosas, juices and dedicadent pastries. The pampering will continue throughout the day. I'm not going to give a "play by play" of my plans because its obvioius a few of you will do nothing but nitpick and insult. While some things are less expensive on a Friday,others are more so, the officiant, band and the barstaff for example. I am confident that my day will be a great day.

While I value the opinions of others, its apparent that some of the commenters have taken this intentionally light hearted forum and turned it into something it wasnt meant to be, negative.......

• Marie S. (aka Princess Leia)
    Master October 2012
    Marie S. (aka Princess Leia) ·
    • Flag

We are doing a Friday at a hotel venue and yes a couple may be inconvenienced but the majority will not as most of our friends are self employed, outside sales reps or retired. We chose a spot that is mutually convenient to all of our guests and somewhere we could afford to over indulge. We have not had any friends or family comment negatively on the Friday nite but rather Oh Thank You! Now we can take off early, party all night and stay in the hotel to sleep off the hangover. We've been asked to ensure the hotel's bar is extra stocked w/ certain bottles and to ensure a cigar lounge is reserved so we can keep the party going. Even though we're a year out, I've even had several GF's already call to ask me to shopping with them to buy their gowns with them (formal wedding). So no a Friday wedding isn't always a bad thing.

• Kara
    Super May 2013
    Kara ·
    • Flag

We are!!! Yay! Smiley smile We are so that way we will go on our honeymoon from sat-fri and have sat & sun to recover before we go back to work on monday

• KKCB
    Super August 2012
    KKCB ·
    • Flag

We're getting married on a Friday. Personally, I enjoy Friday weddings better than Saturday ones. I know I'm in the minority on that one, but I have so many things on my 'to-do list' that I would prefer to join people for their wedding on a Friday night, and have my whole Saturday to get things done. Just my personal opinion Smiley smile That said, our reception doesn't start until 8:30 pm (just open bar and appetizers), and we're having a private ceremony (just immediate family). It just works out for us!

• LadyL
    Super October 2012
    LadyL ·
    • Flag

We are! The last 3 weddings we've been to in the last year have all been on Fridays. So I think it's the new "hot day" of the week now. LOL!

• Lisa
    Devoted November 2011
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

We are getting married this Friday! Won't affect our guest list though since we are having a very small ceremony with only our kids (who are all in the wedding) and his parents and bf.

• Marie S. (aka Princess Leia)
    Master October 2012
    Marie S. (aka Princess Leia) ·
    • Flag

KKCB - I couldn't agree with you more. I just hate giving up my weekends and having my routine broken.

• Future Mrs.
    Devoted March 2012
    Future Mrs. ·
    • Flag

My wedding is on a Friday! My family and friends will be there even if I had it on a Monday, that's how we are. Most venues are less expensive on a Friday but not all,at least the ones I liked. We are very excited and people are excited for us! Karen S., I look forward to your pictures Smiley smile

• Mrs.
    Expert March 2012
    Mrs. ·
    • Flag

Karen, I cannot believe that they are giving you a hard time about this! Whatever works for you and your fiance will be just fine. Who cares about the reason you are doing it. If you did it to save money or exclude the the 3rd cousins without hurting their feelings, who cares. You cannot please everyone!

I could be bais because YES I am having a Friday evening wedding. And YES I did it to save money. I know that if I had a Saturday wedding I could not afford to invite everyone that I wanted to. So we chose to do a Friday wedding, so I could invite ALL the people that have played a part in our relationship.

• Pumpkin's Sunshine
    Master October 2011
    Pumpkin's Sunshine ·
    • Flag

Most inconvenient wedding I ever went to was on a Friday. I had to take a half day off. It was even worse because it was a coworker and everyone who was invited wanted the day off so I almost couldn't go.

And of course everyone says they are excited and can't wait. What else are they going to say? No one will tell you how annoyed they are to your face. My friend who had the Friday wedding has no idea how annoyed I was. The people on this post telling you the negatives of this are trying to help you. They are telling you the thoughts of your guests who can't say it to your face.

• A
    Super October 2011
    Abby & Karla ·
    • Flag

We never considered getting married on a Friday but I think if we were going to have a wedding where we had to invite all of our friends and family we probably would have to help lower the cost

• Future Mrs.
    Devoted March 2012
    Future Mrs. ·
    • Flag

LadyL, I know right?! lol. Things are always changing.

• Nay-Nay
    VIP January 2020
    Nay-Nay ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married on a Friday - it's just so much better that way. I know with my mom's side and FMIL side they go to church every Sunday so to have the wedding on a Saturday they wouldn't really get to enjoy because they would then have to go home early so with it being on a Friday they can actually enjoy themselves and so can I

Comment on this discussion