Nicole
Beginner October 2019

fmil doesn’t like the slit

Nicole, on February 3, 2019 at 7:35 AM Posted in Wedding Attire
My FMIL loved the pictures of my dress... until she saw the slit and said “ick it has a slit, that’s a shame.” Both of my fiancé’s parents are very modest and religious. I’m already not doing an open back, tight mermaid fit, or plunging neckline like I always thought I’d have. My parents and bridesmaids, on the other hand, love the dress as is, and I do too. I just thought with these sleeves I have to show SOME skin (hair will be down), plus it’s easier to walk in! Our venue is not at a church. Weather should be low 60’s. The dress is customizable... should I keep the slit as is? Would it look funny if I lowered the slit to just above the knee? Or should I have no slit at all?
Thanks!

fmil doesn’t like the slit 1

fmil doesn’t like the slit 2

fmil doesn’t like the slit 3
Share:

61 Comments

• Katie
    Super November 2019
    Katie ·
    Maybe for their sake , lower the slit a little. However it sounds like you are sacrificing a lot
  • C
    Master November 2019
    Caytlyn Online ·

Good thing FMIL isn't the one wearing it. If you love the slit, keep it as is. If you want to give in even more than you already are, which I don't think you should, lower the slit. Only do it if it's what you want.

• Colleen
    Master September 2019
    Colleen Online ·
    That dress is gorgeous. One she is not wearing the dress. Two when you stand and walk normal toe can’t notice slits.
  • Future Mrs. Robinson1120
    Devoted November 2020
    Future Mrs. Robinson1120 ·
    I'm more conservative so I say no slit but you. Wear what you want
  • C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy Online ·
    Good thing it’s not her dress, keep it.

• PorterPoppin
    Rockstar March 2019
    PorterPoppin ·
    You’ve already given up a lot of what you may have wanted, keep the slit. I’d only lower it if YOU wanted it that way
  • T
    Beginner April 2019
    Tamika ·
    Love the dress! I honestly believe it’s gorgeous now and I also pictured if you decided to lower the slit or have no slit at all and either way YOU decide to alter the dress or keep it as is it will be gorgeous...love the lace.
  • Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020
    Sarah Online ·
    I don’t think you need to change it because you’re the one wearing it and your opinion of the dress is the only one that matters. If you knew she’s a very modest/religious person, I’m not sure why you thought that slit wouldn’t bother her.
  • #RMC2019
    Devoted July 2019
    #RMC2019 ·
    You should keep the dress as is. If you change the features of the dress you might as well choose another dress. Leave it as is. It's beautiful. Don't make modifications just because your FMIL doesn't like it. Buy what you like.
  • Maggie
    Super February 2019
    Maggie ·
    Another vote for keeping the slit as is. I think that dress is so beautiful! And modest enough to be a good compromise.
  • Melissa
    Expert September 2019
    Melissa ·
    You are not asking her to wear it, so her opinion does not matter. That is a super classy dress and I feel would even be appropriate for a church (even though that’s not your venue). Do not compromise your wedding dress vision for her. It’s beautiful!
  • Nett
    Devoted January 2019
    Nett ·
    It’s your wedding, so unless she’s paying for the dress you should wear exactly what you want to wear.
  • Yoice
    Super March 2019
    Yoice ·
    I say if you love it leave it how it is! Is your wedding and is your dress. You gave up a lot, don’t give up the slit. Besides your wedding is not even at a church!
    By the way the dress is gorgeous! So elegant and sophisticated, the slit gives it a modern and slight sexy touch without being too much.
  • Future Mrs.
    Super March 2019
    Future Mrs. ·
    The slit makes that dress!! Please do not change it. You’ve already compromised on SO MUCH...don’t let them dictate what you wear when you’re the one who’s going to have to live with those pictures for the rest of your life. I would hate for you to look back on your wedding pictures and regret the dress you chose or the changes you felt you had to make to please someone else
  • Mary
    Savvy July 2019
    Mary ·

I think once she sees it on you on your wedding day she will love it and change her mind. It's different just seeing it in a picture. I would keep as-is.

• AshleyR
    VIP October 2016
    AshleyR ·
    Don’t pick a dress for anyone else but you. Your wedding dress is for you and you alone. You’re an adult and she’ll get over it.
  • K
    Savvy March 2020
    Kyrchia ·
    Its your wedding. Your the one wearing the dress. I would keep it. But if you really want to lower it, it should be because you want too, not to make her happy.
  • A
    Just Said Yes March 2021
    Ariya ·
    That dress is gorgeous. Compromise with her on something else but the dress is something that you are paying for, I would keep it.
  • Megan
    VIP January 2019
    Megan Online ·
    Personally I would lower it. NOT on their behalf, but for your own comfort of sitting and dancing and not worrying about flashing someone. That is a pretty high slit. I’d have it made to just above the knee. That dress is STUNNING and you’ll love having the slit, it gets hot under there!
  • Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel ·
    I’m guessing the slit will sit lower on you than the model unless you’re that tall. I definitely wouldn’t get rid of it but just make sure you can move and sit without it being an issue. If it is just have your seamstress close one or two inches of it.

Comment on this discussion