Lindsay, on May 11, 2018 at 7:58 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 29
Saved Save
Are you doing a first look and why?

29 Comments

• Alysia
    Devoted September 2018
    Alysia
    • Flag

Yes. Team first look all the way. Mostly because I want to be able to enjoy some of cocktail hour with my guests, and partly because it's going to help me get the nerves out of the way.

• Jessica
    VIP October 2018
    Jessica
    • Flag
    Yup, because I wanna get those pictures out of the way so I can enjoy the delicious food we'll be serving at cocktail hour 馃檶
  • Victoria
    VIP October 2018
    Victoria
    • Flag
    No. We're traditional in that way and one of my favorite parts of going to a wedding is seeing the groom's face when he sees his bride for the first time. I love the idea of sharing that moment with our guests.
  • Mrs. Sponge
    Master April 2018
    Mrs. Sponge
    • Flag

Nope! H and I knew right away we didn't want a first look and even decided not to go with a photographer who really pushed first looks because we were so against it! Cocktail hours are for taking pictures and our photographer had no problem getting pictures done in that time. H and I knew that a first look would completely ruin the moment of him seeing me in my dress for the first time walking down the aisle. Our venue brought our hors d'oeuvres to us during pictures so we didn't miss out on the food!

• Mrs.Sanok
    VIP September 2018
    Mrs.Sanok
    • Flag

Yup! I want to be able to enjoy cocktail hour, I do not want to miss that mashed potato bar! Also I know that I will be all nervous and anxious before hand and seeing FH will calm my nerves! Plus it will be nice to have a moment to ourselves before the whole thing!

• Mrs. H
    Master September 2019
    Mrs. H
    • Flag

We are doing a First Look for a few reasons...

1. It allows us to see each other for the first time with no distractions.

2. It gives us more time to actually participate in our own cocktail hour, following the ceremony.

• Bride107
    Expert October 2018
    Bride107
    • Flag

Yes I am, I want moment for us to take our pictures and take it all in, Because I know at the reception we will be partying and mingling.

And i KNOW I will be crying so I would want to get the pics out the way while my makeup looks fresh!

• Preslee
    Expert May 2019
    Preslee
    • Flag

No, we are traditional and I want the moment that he sees me walking down the aisle. As a wedding planner, I've seen them both and they're both beautiful but we decided it was best for us not too.

We will still be enjoying cocktail hour though as we have a gap between our wedding and reception

• Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen
    • Flag

We are doing one for a couple reasons. First we spent a lot of money on cocktail hour and really want to enjoy all the amazing food that will be there. Second, neither one of us are big fans of showing all of our emotions in front of a lot of people, a first look gives us the opportunity to feel all the emotions of the day without doing so in front of a large crowd.

• E
    Devoted May 2019
    Elizabeth
    • Flag
    Yes! We want that moment of just us (and photographers ) to help our nerves, get a little time of just us for that day and so we can take the majority of our pictures. Our bridal party will also be joining after 30 mins or so that way after the ceremony we need a few more pictures of us, then with family then enjoy the night
  • OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush
    • Flag

We did not do First Look as we were pressed for time (wedding was at 11am) but more importantly, I did not a first look photographed. It was private between us. We had no processional, we all just gathered then the officiant said, "Well let's all begin!" I will say this though: I remember vividly seeing him come up the walkway, turning and seeing me the for the first time!!! He was grinning ear to ear!!!

• Talullah
    VIP May 2018
    Talullah
    • Flag
    Yes. It gives us some alone time, pics should be done, we may have to get a few alone after ceremony & we will get to cocktail hour for a bit. Most importantly FH is the only one who can keep my calm. He will keep nerves in check. I need him with me.
  • J
    Expert June 2018
    Jamie
    • Flag
    Team no first look! I've always dreamed of walking down the aisle and that being the first time we see each other. The first look is something I've only recently heard about.
  • Josh & Justine
    Super May 2018
    Josh & Justine
    • Flag

Yep! We want to enjoy cocktail hour with our guests. And I really just want the first moment we see each other to be a special moment just for the two of us.

• Chelsea
    Dedicated January 2020
    Chelsea
    • Flag
    I am not doing a first look with my FH but instead doing it with my dad. That way I still get the traditional bride being seen for the first time when I'm walking down and get to enjoy the look on his face but get the nerves out of the way and confidence boost with my dad.
  • A.Magill.Since.May
    Master May 2018
    A.Magill.Since.May
    • Flag
    We are doing a first look, and we're doing it mostly because of timing. Our reception is in the same venue as our ceremony and we aren't having a fancy separate cocktail hour, so disappearing for an hour or more to take photos just won't work for us. We're doing as many photos as possible before the ceremony so we can spend a lot more time with our guests afterward.
  • Jen
    VIP July 2018
    Jen
    • Flag

Yes! i want to enjoy our post-ceremony cocktail hour and not have to spend it with the photographer. i also really like the idea of just FH and i enjoying the first look moment together (vs sharing it with everyone at the ceremony when I walk down the aisle).

• OrangeCrush
    Super October 2017
    OrangeCrush
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

As someone who has been married twice, and both times w/out her beloved dad.....I am super envious yet happy for you!!!

• Bride Brain
    Devoted May 2018
    Bride Brain
    • Flag
    We are not, and it's not because we are traditional. Liek some have mentioned, my favorite part of the wedding is seeing the groom's face when the bride walks down the aisle. If we do a first look, then I feel like the moment is staged for photos which kinds of ruins it for me. Also, when I walk down the aisle afterwards, it'll be just a show for the guests and I'll be worried about their reactions more than focusing on my groom. We aren't missing happy hour for photos. We've talked to the photographer and are going to step away sometime during the reception when guests are dancing and having fun and do a few photos. This will give us a quiet few moments away from all the partying to take in what is happening. We also aren't spending much time on posed pictures. I would rather hang up candid photos than look at one and think, "that's when the photographer told me to look at my bouquet while my husband sniffs my hair". Not as meaningful of a memory.
  • SB
    VIP March 2019
    SB
    • Flag

We aren't. We both want to be totally surprised when the time comes. I like it for the fact of being able to get your pictures done, but those won't take too long afterwards anyways.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics