K
Dedicated March 2020

First look?

Kristie, on January 8, 2019 at 12:10 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 10
Saved Save
My FH and I are thinking about doing a first look so we can actually enjoy our cocktail hour and spend more time with our guests. Anyone else doing a first look?

10 Comments

• Becca
    Super August 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    I’m not doing one. I was fine either way on it, but my fiancé is more traditional and believes it’s bad luck to see the bride before she walks down the isle, so I’m respecting that and totally fine with not doing a first look! Our guests will have plenty to do during the cocktail hour and the ceremony is on-site, so doing the photos right after won’t take us very far or very long
  • K
    Dedicated March 2020
    Kristie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Our wedding is also on site, but its historic and we have to be driven around on a golf cart and such. Also we are originally from New Jersey and moved to Florida where the wedding is so I'd like to spend as much time with friends and family as possible.
  • Becca
    Super August 2019
    Becca ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Then if both you and your fiancé want to do the first look, there’s nothing wrong with that!! I like the idea of it. It also helps calm nerves for the bride or the groom before the ceremony and people also enjoy being able to share that moment privately.
  • Alexis
    Devoted December 2020
    Alexis ·
    • Flag
    I follow a ton of photographers on Instagram, and I've seen many discussions on this debate. The general census seems to be in favor of a first look, and couples have said it was really nice because it was one of the only points during their day where they could be alone together and revel in the excitement, just the two of them. Plus, it's super personal and helped them calm any nerves or jitters they had before, so the ceremony was much more relaxed! I've personally always held the traditional view of waiting until that aisle moment, but after reading those kinds of experiences, I'm definitely changing my mind. Whatever you do will be special, remember that! Hope that helps.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We aren't, but I was in a wedding in 2017 that did! It was super fun to watch as a bridesmaid and a very sweet moment for them.

• Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    We are not doing a first look but I really do like seeing the pictures and reactions of the couple. It's so sweet!
    My fiance and I would prefer to see each other when I'm coming down the aisle. We will have photographers with us all day so maximizing on time isn't an issue. I'll try to knock out as many pictures before the ceremony as possible.
  • JEANIE
    Expert April 2020
    JEANIE ·
    • Flag
    I am! Not only does it save time that can be spent enjoying your wedding, but it is a personal experience that the two of you can always share. I figured that we'll get majority of our pictures taken before the ceremony, allowing us to enjoy the cocktail hour where we can mix and mingle with the guests. That alone will save us about an hour because we will no longer have to go around to every table during the reception. We're paying so much money for the evening that I would like to enjoy every moment of it. I was against it at first, but when I realized how convenient it really is, I'm all for it! Additionally, 20 out of 25 of my married friends say that they wish they would've done it looking back.
  • Brittany
    Master April 2019
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

We're doing a first look. Logistically it just makes sense!

If you're not totally sold on the idea...look up pictures of a "first touch". Sort of the same thing but you don't have to see each other if you still want that aisle moment!

• Rachel
    Super May 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    It’s definitely a personal choice. For us, we don’t want to see each other until I’m walking down the aisle. We want the first moment we see each other to be “the moment”. We want the tension and the build up. Plus, my fiancé doesn’t want to spoil anything, he loves being surprised. He doesn’t even want to see the ceremony location until the day of. We’re also not doing posed photos afterwards, we only want candid photos taken. So we don’t need a lot of time.

But some one couples need more time for photos and doing a first look is one of the easiest ways to do this.
  • Alicia
    Beginner June 2020
    Alicia ·
    • Flag

We werent going to do one but I heard some stories about how the first look was ruined when the bride walked down for a variety of reasons. One, the aisle was lined with candles and the bride's dress was going over each one so the groom had a look of horror because he was worried. Another one is people trying to get photos of the bride and the phone covered the grooms face or otherwise ruined the photo.

We decided to do it to avoid anything ruining the moment, but also to have photos of a moment shared just by us on a day that is pretty much dominated by friends and family.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics