Carenna
Savvy November 2018

First look?

Carenna, on November 13, 2018 at 11:30 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 52
Saved Save
What are yalls thoughts on first looks? Me and my FH are not doing it simply because I wanted all the emotion and energy to be high when I'm walking down the aisle lol
Give me y'alls thoughtsSmiley shame

52 Comments

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    We did a first look. It didn’t take away any emotion. We both bawled as I walked down the aisle.
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    My fiancé doesn’t want a first look for the exact reason you are saying. I think it’ll be so sweet with the anticipation.
  • Carenna
    Savvy November 2018
    Carenna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Aw that's great! Cause I was a little worried about that
  • Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    • Flag
    We are going to do a first look!
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t have pro pictures yet but it was really emotional even though we had already seen each other.

First look? 1
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally agree! Our fav photos were first look, 90 minutes of photos around the resort. We were so relaxed & it helped to connect before the ceremony/festivities. I would never want all that pressure on the walk down the aisle. Plus, we had a quick post-ceremony photo session then we joined guests for cocktail hour!
  • Johanna
    Dedicated December 2018
    Johanna ·
    • Flag
    We are doing a first look: partially so we can get formal photos out of the way before the party starts and partially so we will be less anxious at the church. It’s going to be nerve wracking enough being the center of attention!
  • Alyssa
    Devoted May 2019
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t want to do a first look because of this reason but when i sat down with my photographer she made a good point that they are two different situations. One is super intimate with no one around you and one is in front of other people. She also said that no matter what, the emotions are different because you’ll get that feeling of “oh my gosh this is REALLY happening” so I’m doing one now!
  • Brenda
    Savvy September 2020
    Brenda ·
    • Flag
    Us too my FH is traditional. So not doing first looks. He wants to be surprised when he see me walk down the aisle.
  • Angerra
    VIP August 2019
    Angerra ·
    • Flag
    I actually asked my fiance how he felt about this and he would prefer to not have a first look. I'm ok with it because I plan on getting pictures taken with my mom, grandmother, daughters, and bridesmaids before we leave my parents house. That'll get some pictures out of the way
  • latasha
    VIP September 2019
    latasha ·
    • Flag
    FH prefers that the first time he sees me is when I’m walking down the aisle. So no 1st look for us.
  • FutureMrsC
    Expert October 2019
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Flag
    I am not doing a first look with FH because we want to keep it traditional but I am doing one with my dad!

• JustKidding
    VIP April 2018
    JustKidding ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This.

It meant a lot to us to join the party and not spend a long time taking pictures.

I loved our first look. Seeing his reaction to me alone was the best thing I could have asked for. He still had the sweetest face when I walked the aisle. Nothing was taken away.

First look? 2

• Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    I feel exactly the same way! I can’t bring myself to have that huge moment of seeing each other for the first time on our wedding day, for a photo shoot instead of at the ceremony! The only downside I guess is that we miss our cocktail hour, but I feel like the ceremony is the most important part obviously, and I’m not willing to sacrifice any of the sentimentality of the ceremony for any other part of the day!

Nothing against people who do it of course, we are just not about it at all. Our venue coordinator was like actually judging us for NOT wanting a first look and it annoyed me 😒
  • A
    Devoted October 2018
    Allison ·
    • Flag
    This is exactly why I wanted a first look. I loved how it was just us and the photographer and how we just had that moment alone. That is one of the things I wouldnt have changed about my wedding for anything.

First look? 3
  • Mrs.Sanok
    VIP September 2018
    Mrs.Sanok ·
    • Flag

We did a first look and I could not be happier that we did! It made our day so easy and we were able to have some much fun!

It did not take away from walking down the aisle! It actually helped to calm my nervous and made my mind more clear for the ceremony! Ugh it was just amazing!

I actually just posted my Pro Bam! All the pictures from the first look are there! Take a peek!

• annakac
    Devoted February 2019
    annakac ·
    • Flag

We are planning a first look. I get giddy just thinking about it honestly! I think it would be so hard for me to see him for the first time coming down the aisle and not even really be able to really hug him or kiss him yet. I also know that I am going to ugly cry so better to get that out when it is just the two of us. Also, for us it makes logistical sense because if we all get ready in the suites at the reception venue, and do the first look, the whole bridal party can just take the party bus to the church

• Rachel Langerhans
    Expert October 2015
    Rachel Langerhans ·
    • Flag

We had a first look and it was my absolute favorite part of the day! Smiley heart There are so many great reasons to do a first look and I highly recommend it for every couple! Smiley smile

1. More Genuine Reaction
    2. Ease Nerves
    3. Only Intimate Moment of the Day
    4. More Time For Photos Earlier
    5. Get Back to Celebrating Sooner

People often think the reaction will be "bigger" and better at the aisle, but that's not *always* the case.

• Jen
    Super May 2018
    Jen ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    First this picture is the sweetest. And I absolutely agree with the rest. It was one of my favorite parts of the day, didn’t take anything away from the walk down the aisle and we loved joining our guests at cocktail hour.

And to add to the wonderful pictures of first looks here’s H at ours. He also had a similar expression when I walked into the ceremony.

First look? 4
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yup, all of these!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics