Ashley
Devoted July 2018

First dress shopping experience

Ashley, on April 2, 2017 at 1:56 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 53
Saved Save

Ok, so I've been hesitant to post this because I know how brutally honest everyone is here, but I think that's what I need!

I went dress shopping yesterday and after looking at the pictures, I HATE how my arms look. They make me feel like the marshmallow man. It's all I can see when I look at these pictures. I love the dress, but I hate my arms. I know a bolero might be an option, but I tried on a dress with sleeves and it looked so matronly on me.

So...what do you think?

53 Comments

• Helena Handbasket
    Master February 2016
    Helena Handbasket ·
    • Flag

I think you look stunning. As someone who also was worried about arms, by the time I put on my dress that morning I was beautiful and didn't think about them at all. If it really bothers you, you could try a wrap

• Beecham2Barrows
    VIP November 2019
    Beecham2Barrows ·
    • Flag

Beautiful

• Ashlynne
    Dedicated September 2017
    Ashlynne ·
    • Flag

Only marshmallows should be compared to marshmallows. Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't settle on your first day of dress shopping either. You will need to give everything some thought. And I swear I hate my arms too and lifting weights after work at home has made me feel better about mine. Have my arms changed?? Idk.. but I feel better knowing that I am taking care of me and learning to love me (also helps with stress).

You look great! So make sure you feel great too!

*edited for a spell check

• Ashlynne
    Dedicated September 2017
    Ashlynne ·
    • Flag

You could also add a sheer, off the shoulder sleeve if you decide you need just a little something. It wouldn't take away from your dress. (This was a friends wedding. She added sleeves to her dress)

• Mary C
    Super November 2018
    Mary C ·
    • Flag

I personally love marshmallows. I think we all are hard on ourselves as we all want to feel beautiful on our special day. You look great and the dress is pretty. I you would feel more comfortable with you arms covered, try the bolero, or you could speak with a seamstress about adding straps or sleeves that make you feel better and not so matronly. But in my opinion, you don't need any of that. Good luck.

• Teri
    VIP May 2017
    Teri ·
    • Flag

You are beautiful. Could you add sheet or lace sleeves to the Dress or is that not something you would feel comfortable with??

• Aylenrose
    VIP January 2018
    Aylenrose ·
    • Flag

I love that dress on you its beautiful and you are beautiful in it!

• Jenna
    Expert June 2018
    Jenna ·
    • Flag

It looks great!

• Jillian
    Master June 2019
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

When I looked at the picture I didn't see arms at all. What a beautiful gown!

• Regan
    Devoted October 2017
    Regan ·
    • Flag

The other thing I remembered was hpw a veil may cover your shoulders. Up to you but I think you look amazing! Such a flattering shape!

• Kaitlyn
    Dedicated May 2018
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Flag

Absolutely stunning gown. You look great! I agree with the lace cap sleeves or something of that nature. Would make you perhaps a bit more comfortable and would look gorgeous as well.

• Jillian
    VIP October 2017
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

I think its a gorgeous gown, and I agree with PPs -- the photo is taken from a poor angle. Honestly, I stopped looking at the dress shopping pics of me in the gown because I look like a hot mess (we were running errands beforehand). The dress is gorgeous on you.

• GettingMarriedinMay
    Super May 2017
    GettingMarriedinMay ·
    • Flag

I agree with the others. The pic was taken at a very unflattering angle. Take another pic from a better angle and you'll be alot happier. The dress is beautiful and I love the belt!

• Ang
    Expert May 2018
    Ang ·
    • Flag

As someone who also hates her arms I know how you're feeling. But you look absolutely beautiful in that dress and you should rock it with confidence!

• Breana
    Devoted September 2017
    Breana ·
    • Flag

I think you look awesome! It grabs you at the right part of your waist & makes it look tiny! Like PP's angles have a lot to do with what you're seeing. When I went dress shopping I absolutely hated every dress that showed my arms so I ended up with a dress with 3/4 sleeves & i love it! I think maybe you should put on a veil & see how it looks with it & like another comment said to try off the should sleeves which can be really flattering.

• Ashley
    Devoted July 2018
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions and your honest opinions. You've made me feel a lot better about it and I am going to keep trying and see if I can find a combo I like! <3

• L
    Beginner July 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

The dress is so beautiful and you look absolutely amazing in it! Honestly the thing that caught my attention was how gorgeous and flattering the dress is! However, I know how you feel and have the same problem. I also know how important it is to feel comfortable on your big day! I'm planning on having a more casual wedding and I want my dress to have some type of sleeves. But I agree with the others about seeing if you could do a capped sleeve or off the shoulder or even trying on a long veil if you're completely sold on the dress! If you're still open to trying on different dresses try some different styles with sleeves. Good luck!!

• K
    Super July 2017
    Karen ·
    • Flag

I loooove your dress and you in it- I know how the arm thing can make you feel - could you put an illusion sleeve on the dress? Someone posted a picture it looks like it could be done with that dress-

But you don't need it hon---the dress looks great!

• Ohheyitscait
    Super September 2017
    Ohheyitscait ·
    • Flag

I think you look stunning! That dress really compliments you!

I personally love wedding shawls like this. Sometimes when you add sleeves to a gown it can bring attention to them rather than cover them. It doesn't need to be knitted like this, but I really think that it can compliment your dress!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205474100/wedding-shawlbridal-capewinter?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search_US_DSA_Shopping_Weddings_A&utm_ag=DSA_Weddings%2B-%2BAccessories%2B-%2BCover%2BUps%2Band%2BScarves&utm_custom1=29220525-03a4-454f-bef2-59cb6b1a8066&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwoLHBRDD0beVheu3lt0BEiQAvU4CKu9SIzJ6DAnTfv7XUTs8nYKUJlbv0_BXF2f3qrQEOmgaAuPl8P8HAQ

• Km42118
    VIP April 2018
    Km42118 ·
    • Flag

I think it's a beautiful dress

Comment on this discussion