Future Mrs. Goss
Devoted September 2016

FIL issue!!!!!!

Future Mrs. Goss, on June 22, 2016 at 12:53 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 21
Saved Save

Okay I am honestly really annoyed with my fiancés family at this point. My parents and me and my fiancé are religious. We wanted to have a decently conservative wedding, a pastor is attending and we just for the most part want to keep it clean. Of course we'll still have fun songs, but cleaner versions. I gave his parents the choice to pick their wedding intro song, unfortunately the two they chose started off with motherf***** and the other intro said, "pimps and whores" I told them we want to keep it clean if possible and MIL seemed cool with that, come to find out FIL posted on FB how he chose the song, and it got shot down. Then him and MIL continued to mock my family with other song titles that would seem, raunchy to them about how they should play those instead, for example, local H's High Fiving MF. I just don't get why they can't respect that children will be there and that's not the type of music we want played on our day, anything else would be fine.

21 Comments

• Beatrice
    Master June 2017
    Beatrice ·
    • Flag

Tell them no and pick a song for them. If they can't respect you and FH to actually take the time to choose a respectable song then that's their issue

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·
    • Flag

Is this the intro to the reception? We didn't let them pick the intro songs, it gets too complicated when you let everyone pick their own songs. We had 1 songs for all parents, 1 songs for all of bridal part and 1 song for us. It may be easier for you to just pick them. It's literally a 15 second clip of a song. they should get over it. Clean songs can be fun too.

• Ololufe
    VIP August 2016
    Ololufe ·
    • Flag

You shouldn't have given them a choice in the first place. It was very nice of you but they threw it in your face. Pick a song for them and don't discuss with them. Maybe pick a song you know they would hate...no don't do that lol.

• ElleW.
    Expert October 2015
    ElleW. ·
    • Flag

Ugh! At least he was able to let all of his friends know they are the "funny" and "cool" ones, so maybe that will be enough. How immature. I just wouldn't do parent intros. I don't think that's a common thing anyway. Is it?

• Future Mrs. Goss
    Devoted September 2016
    Future Mrs. Goss ·
    • Flag

Yeah you guys should've seen how immature he was acting, saying "But it's our intro! As much as I like Mexico, I want to announce my presence with authority. Hey! Authority Zero!!"

• BeachBride
    VIP June 2017
    BeachBride ·
    • Flag

Wow! I couldn't imagine my parents or my FILs wanting songs like that! How old are they? Do they need to be the hip parents or something? I'd say they ruined it for themselves and now you can pick.

• Fitz
    Master August 2018
    Fitz ·
    • Flag

So annoying! He sounds like a jealous little brother that is trying to make sure he gets attention too. Now you get to choose their song!

• Zaz
    Master October 2016
    Zaz ·
    • Flag

If you still feel like giving them a choice, then I'd recommend you and FH pick two or three you're comfortable with, and ask them to choose one of those. They still get some flexibility, and you get the peace of mind that it won't be inappropriate.

What is it about weddings that brings out the crazy in people??

• MrsToBe-BecameMrs
    VIP September 2016
    MrsToBe-BecameMrs ·
    • Flag

Im not religious but to me those type of songs are unbelievably inappropriate for a wedding. Tell them "Thanks for your suggestions We will surprise everyone with our song choices at the reception!" and then you and FH pick fun but appropriate songs for intros

• Samantha
    Devoted July 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

..and those are the parents?

Reminds me of "I'm not like a regular mom I'm a cool mom"

• nolalishak
    Master June 2017
    nolalishak ·
    • Flag

These are ADULTS?

• MrsHulet
    Super September 2016
    MrsHulet ·
    • Flag

It may be their intro, but it's your wedding and they need to get over themselves!

I agree to make a pre approved list for them to choose from. You were kind enough to let them choose whatever at first and they obviously can't handle even that amount of responsibility, so what you say goes

• Rachel DellaPorte
    December 2019
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

I've never heard of the parents picking a wedding intro song. Isn't the whole parent intro thing about 15 seconds long? Is that how much of the song you'd play? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to complicate what is essentially a pretty easy thing.

Oh, and do yourself a favor -- keep those two away from your DJ. Really, make it a point to tell him that if they (or anyone else) asks him to play anything potentially offensive, he is to say no.

• Heather
    Super October 2016
    Heather ·
    • Flag

Are they ghetto? This is inappropriate on all levels

• MrsBBR
    Super January 2017
    MrsBBR ·
    • Flag

Agree with Centerpiece!! We had an issue at my sister's wedding where two guests kept requesting inappropriate songs and basically killed the mood for a solid half hour. Sorry they're acting this way, it's a shame they'd rather mock your wishes than be respectful adults.

• Future Mrs. Goss
    Devoted September 2016
    Future Mrs. Goss ·
    • Flag

They also wanted kicking out the jams by MC5 and social distortion By the machine gun blues. Was I crazy to not want these either, or at least cut out the inappropriate part, so after I said no to those they finally decided on slow ride, which is decent but still about a "slow ride" I'm like good Lord people. But no they aren't ghetto, I don't know why they were choosing songs like this, they cuss as do a lot of people, but I didn't realize they'd want this craziness, & they are adult in their 50s

• Merrie Contrary
    Dedicated November 2016
    Merrie Contrary ·
    • Flag

Why are they even being consulted about the music? That's up to the bride and groom and the DJ.

I would stop discussing it with them. All they need to know is when their entrance is.

• Colleen
    Devoted September 2016
    Colleen ·
    • Flag

Your wedding, your music. Who cares if they are walking to it...not their decision to make. And I cant believe how trashy they sound. I mean, sorry to bash your in laws and all but damn! I agree with what was previously posted...tell your DJ they are not to make requests. I'm already doing that actually because of one of my sisters. I'm even having to tell my photographer not to let people request photos...because again, my sister thinks this is the perfect opp for her to get "family photos" done with her new boyfriend (number 248 dude she thinks is the one).

• Future Mrs. Goss
    Devoted September 2016
    Future Mrs. Goss ·
    • Flag

Yeah I'm going to have to very specific with the DJ that none of that is to be played at all!

• Kari
    Master October 2016
    Kari ·
    • Flag

Lol. I'm sorry, I'm kinda digging these parents!

But yeah, your wedding, your way. Pick the songs for them, like someone said its a 15 second intro.

ETA: their song choices not their social media cray.

Comment on this discussion