Kallie
Super November 2017

Fall Virginia Barn Pro BAM!!! (word and pic heavy)

Kallie, on Dec 5, 2017 at 9:52 AM Posted in Married Life

I'm so excited that I finally get to post one of these! This is about to be long af, so I apologize in advance. We got married November 4th in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Our wedding was beautiful and honestly it was one of the best days of my life. It wasn't perfect, but really what is? It ended up being perfectly us and at the end of the day I was married to my best friend and that's all that matters.

Share:

47 Comments

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

My MOH planned my bachelorette party for two days before the wedding. I highly suggest not doing this. Sure, we had a great time and I loved that the girls put in so much effort for me, but I wish we could've done it sooner. Friday we had to go set up at the venue and do all the rehearsal stuff and I was so tired, not to mention pretty hungover. Also, Thursday night I had a bridesmaid drop out of the wedding via text message, so I was pretty salty about that. Honestly, I still am. I won't go into details, but I'm pretty sure that friendship is over. All of that on top of the already existing mountain of wedding stress made me a not very pleasant person to be around on Friday. I'm suprised we even to still managed to have a wedding on Saturday.

I highly suggest any of you that have cats to make sure you keep all wedding things somewhere where there is no way they can possibly get to them, because let's face it, cats don't want you to have nice things. Friday night we discovered that our sweet little angel kitten somehow managed not only to put some nice claw marks in DH's tie, but also ripped a piece of my veil. Luckily, neither of these was very noticeable, but I was still lowkey ready to kill him.

Our biggest concern throughout all of the planning was the weather. November in Virginia is unpredictable. It could be sunny and 75 or it could be snowing, you never know. We had planned to have an outdoor ceremony, but the closer we got to the wedding the less likely that looked. I started checking the weather probably close to 60 days out. DO NOT DO THIS! You will drive yourself and everyone around you crazy. I can't tell you how annoyed DH was with my daily weather updates. Have a backup plan and just let mother nature do her thing. There's nothing else you can do. It ended up being like 50 degrees, windy, and a high chance of rain. We made the call early that morning to move our ceremony and covered patio cocktail hour inside. This meant that everything had to happen in one room, but our venue was amazing and between the owners and our DOC they made it work. You would've thought that was our plan all along.

We all arrived at the venue around 9 am to start getting ready. My hair refused to hold a curl. We tried everything and it just would not cooperate. I finally just said screw it and went with what we had. It didn't look completely awful, but I've definitely had better hair days. My dress had a lot of buttons. A lot. Do yourself and whoever has to button your dress a favor and get a crochet needle. It will be a lifesaver when buttoning. A few days before the wedding I decided I hated the shoes I had originally chosen, so I bought new ones. For some stupid reason I thought I didn't need to try them on because they were my size. Well, they were too big. I ended up stuffing tissues in the toes so they would fit at least somewhat better. They ended up getting kicked off for the rest of the night during our first dance.

If you're on the fence about doing a first look, do it! Our first look was easily one of my favorite moments of the whole day. Being able to have that alone time with DH was everything. I'd do it 100 times over. I know some people worry that it'll take something away from seeing each other when walking down the aisle, but that wasn't the case for us. Neither of us got super emotional during the first look and we even exchanged sappy love letters before, but I definitely cried when I walked down the aisle and DH said he was fighting to keep it together.

One of the only things DH requested for the wedding was to have his cousin marry us. Now, I know how everyone here feels about friendors and trust me I'm right there with you. I was not excited about the idea at all, but DH and his family all really wanted it. I eventually gave in, but only because his cousin is a pastor and has done weddings before. If he wasn't a professional I would never have even considered it. He did a great job though and our ceremony was beautiful. There was one thing, he briefly lost my wedding ring. Apparently it slipped off his Bible while he was talking and he didn't notice. Luckily, our best man has eyes of a hawk and spotted it on the ground. Everyone thought it was funny, except me who had a mini freak out moment.

We managed to get almost all of our pictures done before the ceremony. We only had a few quick family ones to do afterwards. This meant that we could join our guests for most of cocktail hour. I loved getting that extra time with everyone. Now, this is where we come to the biggest issue I had all day. Apparently someone didn't listen to me when I said that absolutely no nuts were to be served because I walk over to the food table and see a big bowl of mixed nuts sitting there. I have a severe nut allergy, like so bad that if someone ate some and then hugged me I could have a reaction, so I was ready to fucking kill someone. I complained to pretty much everyone, but no one really seemed concerned and didn't understand why I was so upset. Like sorry for not wanting to die on my wedding day. DH finally handled it.

Dinner went much better. Our caterer was a local Italian restaurant and I think that was probably the best decision we made in the whole planning process. We had a buffet of salad, baked rigatoni, chicken parm, shrimp scampi, sausage and peppers, sauteed vegetables, and garlic knots. We're still getting comments from people about how good the food was. Even the venue owner said that they'd never had food that good there before. We had an open bar of beer and wine, which was perfect for our crowd of mostly beer drinkers. However, we definitely ended up buying entirely too much alcohol. DH is still trying to give away beer. For dessert we had 4 different kinds of cupcakes and they were all a hit. I'm glad everyone enjoyed them, but was a little sad that I only had a few left over to take home.

After dinner we played the shoe game. I know, I know, games at weddings are not popular and again I'm not really a fan myself, but this was the other thing that DH really wanted and marriage is about compromise so I played the silly game. It actually ended up being a lot of fun and since our crowd aren't big dancers anyway they enjoyed it. After this DH and I didn't really see too much of each other. We both kept getting pulled in different directions and then I wanted to dance and DH is not a dancer. If I could do it again I'd definitely make more of an effort to stick together. Nobody wants to keep asking people if they've seen your husband during your wedding.

I'm incredibly clumsy, so I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to drink red wine in a white dress, but it wasn't. I ended up with a nice stain. Then in one of my finer moments in life, I completely wiped out on the dance floor. DH had to come pick me up off the floor. Thankfully I think most people missed this. Except for my mother who managed to get the whole thing on video.

Get a DOC! I'm so glad we did. I don't know what we would've done without her. She was well worth the money. She kept everything flowing and on time, made sure everyone knew where to be and when, helped with last minute set up, made sure we got to eat, etc. The list goes on and on. My dress had really beautiful but irritating straps and this woman literally came over and helped me rub lotion on my shoulders. If anyone in the Harrisonburg/Charlottesville area is looking for a DOC I highly reccomend Karissa Coffey. Seriously, she's amazing.

Like everyone says, the day really does go by fast, so make sure you take a minute to step back and really take it all in. The best advice I can give you is to trust your vendors. You're paying them for a reason. Let them do their job. Also, don't sweat the small stuff. Nobody cares what color the napkins are, what kind of shoes the bridesmaids are wearing, or even if the DJ happens to play the wrong mother/son song. None of that matters. Have good food, alcohol, music, and surround yourself with the most important people in your life. Try to focus on making memories, not a Pinterest board.

Okay, now that I've bored you to death with my mini novel on to the fun part - pictures!

All photo credit goes to our amazing photographer Lisa Mims!

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

My rings, shoes, and dress.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

Before getting dressed with my MOH and BM.

My mom buttoning my dress.

Artistic earring shot.

• Sasha
    Dedicated April 2018
    Sasha ·

Congratulations!! Love you dancing pic, and beautiful dress!

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

My handsome husband.

Me trying to channel everything I ever learned from America's next top model.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

First look.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

I'm so happy I decided to wear a veil.

• Dextor3000
    Devoted October 2017
    Dextor3000 ·

Your wedding looks wonderful and you look gorgeous! I just wanted to stop in and say we had the same DOC - she is awesome!!

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

I told DH his face looked funny.

Me and the bridesmaids.

Me and my best friend in the whole world/MOH.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

The guys.

DH had to have a silly ring shot.

The whole wedding party.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

DH and his mom.

With my parents and brother.

With our adorable little flower girl.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

Some small details.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

Flower girl trying to read her sign.

This is my trying not to cry face.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

Ceremony.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

With our 12 foot tall officiant.

Sweetheart table. You can't really see, but we had GOT toasting glasses that DH loved!

• Frida
    Devoted July 2018
    Frida ·

Congratulations!

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

First dance.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

I love this picture of me dancing with my dad.

Mother/son dance.

Shoe game.

• Kallie
    Super November 2017
    Kallie ·

Cake!!

Comment on this discussion