M
Dedicated July 2019

Ever been to New Zealand!?

Michelle, on April 10, 2019 at 10:31 AM Posted in Honeymoon 0 10
Saved Save

We're planning to honeymoon in New Zealand in December (the start of their summer). Has anyone ever been? We're looking to do some hiking, kayaking, getting into some caves, as well as some spa days and relaxation time. Just wondering if anyone else has been. Thanks!

10 Comments

• Meaghan
    Dedicated April 2019
    Meaghan ·
    I studied abroad there 10 years ago!! I loved the country. I wasn’t big on the hiking, kayaking, etc. but I had some friends that were really interested in those things and they had a great time. Depending on how long you have (I would recommend at least a week and a half to two weeks) you could rent a car and drive around both islands and get some really good views. If you’re into lord of the rings, you can look into hiking Mount Doom which is supposed to be an awesome experience. I visited Mount Cook on the South Island and that was a good mini hike for me - we were able to see some glaciers and everything. The North Island was said to have more people and more larger cities while the South Island is said to have more sheep than people and is supposedly really good for those interested in hiking and other outdoor activities. Depending on your interests, New Zealand is really good for wine enthusiasts. We spent a weekend on Waiheke Island and tha was a beautiful location and really relaxing so I would recommend that.
  • M
    Dedicated July 2019
    Michelle ·
    View Quoted Comment

I hadn't even thought of the wine! Thanks for mentioning that! I will definitely take your recommendations into consideration. I'm even more excited now!

• Keary
    Expert May 2019
    Keary ·
    I am so jealous!! I wanted to do go to NZ for honeymoon but FH wasn't about it. #1 on my bucket list.
  • M
    Dedicated July 2019
    Michelle ·
    View Quoted Comment
    It's been on both of our lists for years!
  • Kate
    Dedicated December 2019
    Kate ·
    New zealand is my favorite i’ve visited out of 16 countries!! when i went, we spent a few days on the north island in auckland just exploring the city & we visited the lord of the rings set that’s about an hour outside of auckland. highly recommend that tour!

but the most memorable was the south island. we spent longer on the south island kayaking, wine tasting, farm tours, everything. if you make it to the south island, go kayaking with the group called funyak, they’re inflatable kayaks & they serve you lunch on the tour!! some
    lord of the rings film sets were on it as well.

the wine in new zealand is amazing!!! some of the best vineyards & cellars ever.

all in all, i’m so happy we did both the north & south island. i’d recommend both to anyone but if you’re looking for more outdoorsy, nature things i’d spend more time on the south island 100%.

also, we did a tour to a sheep farm & got to see the shepherd work his border collie which was the experience of a lifetime. it was the coolest thing watching the dog herd the sheep & follow directions just from the shepherd whistling. & the sheep are super cute too!

Ever been to New Zealand!? 1

Ever been to New Zealand!? 2
  • Kate
    Dedicated December 2019
    Kate ·
    Just some more pics from the south island!! so jealous, i want to go back so bad!!

Ever been to New Zealand!? 3

Ever been to New Zealand!? 4

Ever been to New Zealand!? 5
  • M
    Dedicated July 2019
    Michelle ·
    View Quoted Comment

OMG! Thanks for this! I"m really excited!

• Heather
    Savvy September 2019
    Heather ·

AH! We're going to NZ for our honeymoon in Dec, too!! maybe our paths will cross!! We're planning on renting a car and driving from Auckland to Queenstown (ferry from north to south islands), with places to stop along the way. We're also planning on staying at Airbnb's.

We've heard amazing things about a sunrise hike at Mt. Hikurangi, North Island (hike 2.5 hrs up the night before), you stay in a "cabin" which is basically a bunk room with other people for like $15/person. then hike up 30-45 min before sunrise in the morning. Bring your own food, there are grills at the cabin to cook, but most of the reviews said there's no hot water (don't plan on showering).

Maori cultural night in Rotorua, North Island

Cathedral Cove, Coromandel, North Island

An awesome, highly recommended full-day hike (6-9 hours) in Taupo at Tongariro Crossing, North Island. Be prepared to bring your own toilet paper, food, bug spray, and plenty of water.

Cuba Street is supposed to be really neat in Wellington, North Island. there's a cool bar called Whooping Crane apparently.

Eat at Ferburger in Queenstown, South Island.

Milford Sound is a must see in the Fjordland National park, South Island

Swimming with dolphins in Kaikura, South Island (2 hrs north of Christchurch)

The Pancake Rocks in Punakaiki, South Island.

Ben Lemond hike, another full-day (6-8 hour) hike, near Queenstown, South Island.

Also, the drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy is supposed to be AMAZING!

What dates will you be there?

• M
    Dedicated July 2019
    Michelle ·
    View Quoted Comment

OMG!!!! You have this whole thing planned already! I am writing all of these things down!! We only have ideas of what we want to do so far. We only got engaged on January 1st, and are getting married in July, so we are trying to knock out all of the wedding details first before planning all of the honeymoon details. It will probably be in early-mid December (which would be around both of our birthdays too, 12/10 & 12/19).

• Heather
    Savvy September 2019
    Heather ·
    View Quoted Comment

Congratulations! We got engaged in Aug (8/19/19) and are getting married in Sept (9/14/19). We may be in NZ at the same time! that would be pretty neat we're planning on going Dec 14th - 28th.

Comment on this discussion