Kiara
Dedicated October 2019

Europe Honeymoon

Kiara, on January 14, 2019 at 12:34 AM Posted in Honeymoon

Hello! My FH and I plan to go to the UK / Europe for our honeymoon. We want to consider the pros and cons before making a final decision so I wanted to ask you guys for suggestions, ideas, etc. We have talked about the different places to go on our honeymoon and the choices were endless but our final choices were UK / Europe or Japan. We talked about if we go to the UK, we wanted to make a trip to Paris, Scotland, as well as Leeds. We aren't 100% sure how to go about planning this.

Here are some questions I have (if any of you know),
- How much pocket money should we consider bringing along with us? (This is more of "in case of emergency" since I've heard some stuff about using your card internationally)
- Is any of these places we want to consider going dangerous? Or is there any precautions we should make?
- Is there a overnight train or train in general that could take us from London to Leeds or London to Paris, etc? We do want to go to all three places, if possible.
- What places do you guys consider going to? We love music (mostly EDM, punk rock, metal). We love to explore flea markets so if there are some near, we'd love to go there. We love pizza so a really good pizza place would be AMAZING.
- What is the weather like in the UK around February? Should I pack mostly cold weather clothing?

These are all the questions I have right now but if I have more, I'll definitely edit this post!

Share:

5 Comments

• KiwiDerbyBride
    Super May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride Online ·
    Train from London to Leeds is a little over two hours. Easy, goes multiple times during the day, and if you book in advance, not too expensive. Train to Paris from London is the Eurostar and it’s about 3.5 hours - quicker than flying once you take airport transfers/check in etc into account (it’s city centre to city centre). Can I ask why Leeds, though? I’ve spent a fair amount of time there (I have an aunt there) and it’s nothing special as a city. Nearby York is far more historic and nicer.

Safety - no worse than anywhere in the USA. Take the usual precautions and you won’t have any problems.

The UK in February will be cold, wet and possibly snowy. You’ll want warm layers and a good raincoat. Also the days will be short - dark by 4:30pm.

In terms of money, cards are fine. Withdraw cash at a bank ATM and you should be fine. We both have cards on our joint account and what we do is just use one of them - that way if it somehow gets compromised, we still have one card which is OK. Then we each carry a backup credit card for emergencies. This has worked perfectly for us on several overseas trips.

Camden Markets in London sound like they’d be right up your alley - definitely worth checking out!
  • Kiara
    Dedicated October 2019
    Kiara ·
    View Quoted Comment
    We plan to book it within the next 3 months (so far prices are like $1,000 per person round trip).

Leeds has a lot of music type venues that my FH want to go visit. Unless you think it’ll be useless to go?

But thank you for all the information! We definitely will take it into consideration.

Also, food wise, is it super expensive there? We don’t really want to eat out much, I prefer home cooked meals so I plan to buy necessities since we’ll be staying in an AirBnB . We will probably go out like one meal a day (we plan to stay for a week).
  • KiwiDerbyBride
    Super May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride Online ·
    Food isn’t crazy expensive. Asda and Tesco are the two least expensive supermarket chains (Waitrose and Sainsburys are more expensive, Morrison’s somewhere in between) and they’re everywhere so you should be able to find one.

If you’re staying a week, honestly I would drop Paris. Three cities in a week is too much, particularly when one is London (you can easily spend a week there alone). Paris needs four nights to do it justice.
  • Holly
    Dedicated June 2020
    Holly ·
    Of all the places you mentioned, I've only been to Paris, so I can't comment on the other locales nor transportation between them and Paris, but just want to say make sure your Airbnb's actually have stocked kitchen equipment if you plan to make meals at home. I wanted to do that in Paris but totally disregarded this when choosing a BnB and when we got there, I only managed to make one meal before I gave up (pasta, and it barely worked) because of the lack of kitchen supplies. Just wanted to throw that in there in case it was something you hadn't already thought of!
  • Jessica
    Savvy May 2019
    Jessica ·

I've gone to London and Scotland for two weeks the past two summers with maybe 500$ and it's been fine. Granted, I paid for all the touristy stuff before I left, but depending on what you want to do, take more or less. (I know, helpful, right?) Just keep an eye on the conversion rates before you go, and find an interest free exchange place if you can.

Sideish note: Scotland is STUNNING. You'll fall in love and never want to come home.

Comment on this discussion