Jasmine
VIP August 2020

Dual Dad Decisions

Jasmine, on February 3, 2019 at 6:17 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 20
Saved Save
Hi everyone. I would really love your opinions about including my biological dad and my step dad together in either my walk down the aisle and/or father-daughter dance. There's no bad blood between any of us and my bio dad and I have a great relationship NOW but of course growing up, he wasn't really there. He's been making up for lost time to just be in my life, do what he can and support me but my step dad was there through it all since I was about 4 years old. What do you think I should do? Has anyone ever done it or think it's crazy? HELP!

20 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Champion November 2019
    Caytlyn ·

You could have one of them on each side to walk you down the aisle, or you could have one walk you half way then switch off to the other for the second half. If you want to share a special dance with both of them, just dance with one for 45 seconds or so then switch.

You could also choose to have one walk you down the aisle and dance with the other.

• Dedicated June 2020
    ·
    My friend got married back is September pretty much same situation she had her step father and father on each side of her walking down the aisle and did a father daughter dance with both as well. I thought that was cute and very sweet to include both of them the way she did.
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·

Thanks Caytlyn!

That all sounds great. Now I'm just going to struggle to figure out which one I'd like to do.

• Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh, that's wonderful. I was definitely hoping for sweet as well. Thank you!

• Lauren
    Devoted October 2019
    Lauren ·
    Both my mom and dad are walking me down the aisle. It’s a personal choice. If you want both pick both.
  • Amanda
    Savvy October 2019
    Amanda ·
    My friend did this and it was a great moment. One on each side!
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but I'm definitely feeling a lot better about this. Thanks!

• P
    Dedicated May 2019
    page ·
    Im doing one on each arm down the aisle! We actually are gunna skip the father/daughter and Mother/son dances completely but i like the idea of the 45 seconds or shorten them up. im in the same boat as you i love both my dads and get along just fine. Another option would have one walk you and one dance.
  • Dedicated June 2020
    ·
    View Quoted Comment
    You’re welcome, her dances were 2-3 minutes so a total of 6 minutes dancing which seems like a long time in wedding terms but it wasn’t awkward and honestly seemed like less time.
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh. Ok. I guess that wouldn't be so bad after all because thinking about it, once you start dancing, 45 secs will definitely go by quick.

• Shawna
    Just Said Yes October 2019
    Shawna ·
    My dad and step dad are gonna walk me down the aisle and then they’ll each get a father/daughter dance
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

That's great! Opting out of the dance is definitely another option. Thanks!

• Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

Awesome! I was starting to think the same thing but I didn't know if I should do a 50/50 dance or give them each their own full length dance.

• Shawna
    Shawna ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Well I’m either gonna go with a shorter song for each or just have the DJ cut them if they’re longer songs
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

That makes sense. I'll definitely look into short songs as well. I appreciate your insight! Thanks

• Shawna
    Shawna ·
    You’re very welcome!
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    You’ve mentioned that your dad has been making an effort. I recommend you include both of them in your wedding. Whether it’s the father/daughter dance and/or walking down the aisle.
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

Very true! That's the reason I thought of doing it in the first place but wasn't too sure how to go about it. Thanks!

• WeddingCruiser2019
    Devoted January 2019
    WeddingCruiser2019 ·
    I had both bio dad and stepdad walk me down the aisle (one on each arm) and had a dance with each of them! It’s totally doable.
  • Jasmine
    VIP August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    View Quoted Comment

I had never heard of it much being done and now today with everyone's comments, it's definitely made me feel more confident in making it work! Thanks

Comment on this discussion