kt
Dedicated November 2009

Dry feet

kt, on September 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM Posted in Planning 0 22
Saved Save

Does anyone have any good remedy for dry, cracked feet? I have used the ped egg and unless you are supposed to hack yourself an hour a day for a year, it doesn't seem to be doing much for my feet. Those pumus stones also don't seem to do the trick and using lotion accomplishes nothing...unless there is a specific lotion out there someone uses that works for them? I want to make sure I have nice soft feet for my wedding and honeymoon! Any suggestions? Thanks!!

22 Comments

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

I googled this foryou hon, hope something may work for you Smiley smile

Natural cures to care for your feet and heels

Feet care is not a disorder one can be clueless about. This is also one of the reasons why people almost always neglect it. Primarily, feet care begins with some care. Home remedies have some of the best cost effective and result oriented solutions one can try and experiment with. But it is important to note that when home remedies do not cure cracked heels it is wise to take an appointment with your general physician.

Here is a compilation of the best known remedies to treat cracked heels:

-Apply any shortening or hydrogenated vegetable oil after washing the feet clean on dry and cracked areas of the feet. After applying a thick coat of shortening on the feet, wear a pair of thick socks. Leaving this application overnight can surely provide positive results in few days.

Cont'd

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

Apply the pulp of a ripe banana on the dry or cracked area of the heel. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse it clean.

-Soak the feet in lemon juice for about 10minutes. Follow this therapy on a weekly basis until one finds a change.

-A daily regime of cleaning and moisturizing is a good cure for dry or cracked heels. At the end of the day soak the feet in warm soapy water for about 15 minutes. Rinse feet and pat dry. Make a healing mixture comprising of: one teaspoon Vaseline and the juice of one lemon. Rub this mixture onto the cracked heels and other required areas of the feet till it is thoroughly absorbed. This can be done daily until visible results are obtained.

-A regular application of a mixture of glycerin and rosewater is known to soothe and cure cracked heels.

Con't

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

-Another result oriented solution is to melt paraffin wax and mix it well with little mustard oil. Apply on the dry or cracked area of the heels. Rinse it off in the morning. A continuous application for 10 to15 days can achieve desirable results

• K
    Savvy October 2009
    kat ·
    • Flag

Petroleum jelly. Socks. Go to bed. Every night.

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

Here is something else I found for you....

When all my attempted failed I did what any smart girl should do – call Grammy. My grandmother has a cure from everything from pink eye to head lice. Grammy has a simple rule of thumb; the most expensive products aren’t necessarily the best. She told me her secret to soft silky feet – and after she told me I felt like slapping my forehead. Her secret – Johnson’s and Johnson’s Baby Lotion. It’s dye free, perfume free and available everywhere.

Grammy doesn’t use it straight from the bottle either; she mixes in spearmint oil and eucalyptus oil and creates a “super lotion”. I have no idea how these two oils interact with the baby lotion but after three days my feet were almost completely healed. The small paper cut like cracks were gone and the skin was soft. The areas between my toes that were cracked were about 90% healed and no longer hurt or bled. Grammy told me to buy cotton socks and wear them as much as

Con't

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

Possible until the cracks were completely gone. This concoction is a little messy so buy several pairs or new white socks if you plan to try this on your feet. I asked her why white socks? [Remember in gym class you always had to wear white socks?] The trace amounts of dye in colored socks could agitate a blister or open cut or scrape on a foot and since your feet are usually nice and warm that creates a breeding ground for bacteria and it’s best friend – infection.

Grammy also warned that if you have large amounts of dry skin on your feet that a pumice stone might do more harm than good. Since you are removing dry skin (usually in the shower or bath) you don’t realize how much skin you are taking off; this can lead to feet that are overly sensitive and lead to cracks and even more dry skin. I have done this myself and felt like a complete moron the next day.

So treat your feet to something sweet. If you find yourself at wits end in regards to dry feet –

Con't

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

Try the Johnson’s and Johnson’s Baby Lotion first. If you still don’t have any relief then add about five drops of spearmint oil and eucalyptus oil. These oils can be purchased at any health food store in small amounts (usually a 1/8 th ounce size bottle). I purchased mine at a Wicca store for .89 cents each. Simply take about 1 ounce of lotion, mix in five drops of each oil and stir until mixed. The smell is extremely soothing as well but this concoction should not be used on the face or on children. Some children can have a reaction to eucalyptus oil if they are allergic to grass or pollen.

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

I find that the pumice stones and those things that look like this http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4823246/2-way-file-and-foot-scraper_Full.jpg work well if you soak your feet for about 15 minutes in warm soapy water first. Then take turns between the metal file and the pumice stone. After wards use a heavy moisturizer or the vaseline to your feet and put them in socks. Do the soaking and filing as often as you can (at least once a week) and sleep with the moisturizer and socks on every night. This seems to work for me.

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

Also if you are going to be wearing tennis shoes or boots during the day make sure you put some lotion on before you put on your socks. Moisturize as often as you can!

• Traci&Bob
    Master February 2010
    Traci&Bob ·
    • Flag

I like the sound of the grammy remedy, my feet are fine but if ever.....I will use her remedy, lol, makes a lot of sense in reading it Smiley smile

• Brian Noah
    March 2020
    Brian Noah ·
    • Flag

Every night my wife puts on lotion and the wears socks to bed... That seems to do the trick.

• mmariel8
    Dedicated November 2010
    mmariel8 ·
    • Flag

I think to start out if you can afford it go to a spa to get you a jumpstart so they can really work your heels. The lotion I use daily is the Oil of Olay Quench in the purple bottle for extra dry skin. I shower twice a day and lotion my entire body in it. My FH LOVES how soft it leaves the skin. As soon as you come out of the shower massage the lotion on your feet. Try wearing more closed in shoes with socks and ALWAYS lotion your feet! Every week or so soak your feet and go at it with the pumice. Its worked for me, hope that helps!

• DawnDawn
    VIP March 2010
    DawnDawn ·
    • Flag

Its cooling off now so skip the sandals. The eucalyptus oil is great in case there is any fungus - kills it off. They do make callus remover. It has hydroxy acids that will help eat away the dead layers. Always soak your feet before doing anything. I found some gloves and booties at Ulta that are terry cloth on the out side and some sort of solid gel material infused with aloe. I have found that wearing those and sometimes adding a heavy foot cream works. Also wear house shoes (slippers) especially if you have a lot of tile in your house. With everyone's tips something has to work. Good luck!

• bay
    Expert November 2009
    bay ·
    • Flag

Rather than a traditional pumice stone I use the disposable ones. You can get them at most beauty supply stores. At least weekly soak your feet, pumice & dry well. Apply Vaseline and put on your socks every night. Good luck!

• Gershelda
    VIP October 2009
    Gershelda ·
    • Flag

Well, my mom use to put Crisco shortening on her feet everynight and wore socks all night long. In the morning she washed her feet, put on the vaseline and put on clean socks. Her feet were sooo soft and silky and no cracks.

Also, I use to take care of a lady who, every morning soaked her feet for 15 minutes and then had me rub baby oil on her feet. She then put on her shoes and socks for the day. Her feet were pretty soft, but had some crackers.

What I do is after I shower or bathe, before drying off, I get the Jergen's Lotion out and rub it in from head to toe, then pat dry...then I put more lotion on my feet, soak them good in lotion and put socks on. This helps a lot.

I've also heard using hair conditioner is good. I use it to shave my legs with instead of shaving lotion and it makes my legs softer and the hair doesn't grow back as thick.

• MEG
    VIP June 2010
    MEG ·
    • Flag

I heard that olive oil is very good for dry skin.

• D
    Devoted February 2010
    detailedplanner ·
    • Flag

If you have a chronic dry foot issue where no matter what you do or for how long, you could possibly have athletes foot. If thats the case, nothing you do will be a permanent solution. Like you said, you would have to hack w/ the ped egg all day and still have little results. If athletes foot is a possibility, apple cider vinegar w/ mother, is a natural solution. You soak your feet in it for at least 20-30 minutes per day until you tend to notice its gone. Keep in mind the specific vinegar! It can't be white vinegar, distilled vinegar, etc. Usually you can't even find it except for in a health food store. It can take 3 weeks or longer but its better than the prescription options with the awful side effects. WHILE participating in this lovely ritual you can continue to do any of the above applications for immediate relief to the appearance of the feet.

• kt
    Dedicated November 2009
    kt ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone!! AFter reading these I immediately put lotion on my feet before bed with socks then did the same thing this morning for work..I'll definitely be trying some of the suggestions this weekend Smiley smile

• Nicoler030
    Devoted October 2018
    Nicoler030 ·
    • Flag

I have to agree with Kat....i live by the vaseline and sock remedy for years.....it really works!!

• AVONNETTE CANSLER
    March 2020
    AVONNETTE CANSLER ·
    • Flag

I agree with most of the comments vaseline and socks. Also there is a base moiturizer called eucerin creme not sure if that is the correct spelling of it. Go to the loal drug store ask the pharmacist for suggestions.You will find something.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics