Kimi K
Master February 2012

*drum roll please* Kimi K.'s Back! All my wedding day details & advice for all brides to be

Kimi K, on June 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM Posted in Planning 0 89
Saved Save

Finally got my professional pictures back a few weeks ago and after much debating I decided to keep my word and share the details of my big day. It’s crazy how in just a year all of wedding wire changes. I’ve been lurking around and there are SO many new brides I don’t recognize over half! Hopefully some familiar faces will show up with my post :o)

89 Comments

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Let me first start off with my story …

For those that don’t know me, I’m the Leap Day bride. I got engaged the Tuesday before Memorial Day of last year and spent the better half of last summer planning a wedding for 75 in my hometown for April 28th. After a terrible meeting with our Priest and after seeing the price tag of what everyone kept referring to be our “dream wedding” my (then) FH and I had a wake up call. The typical wedding reception with all our friends and family (and price tag) was just not “us”. We’re very private people. So in the early fall after spending months planning the perfect day the planning binder was -quite literally- thrown in the trash. After that, things just fell into place.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

In respect for our privacy the pictures below as well as some information have been deleted. If you're one of the wonderful WW brides that helped me throughout my wedding process please PM me and I'll be more than happy to share with you.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Our Wedding Plans

Originally we wanted to elope but I couldn’t stand the thought of not having our family there. So, our only guests were our immediate family members. A total of 8 people. We decided to get married on a sunny and beautiful island and we wanted our wedding to be a very memorable day for our ‘guests’. In order to have the perfect memorable day we had planned a few surprises up our sleeves that our guests didn’t find out about until they arrived for our wedding. I’ve learned that stress is created when people know what’s going on.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

We made lovely out of town bags for our guests and made sure to welcome them a few hours after they arrived on the island and got settled in. If you want to learn more about our bags you can find all the fun information here: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/thought-id-share-my-out-of-town-gift-bags/2e009a474cb50448.html The itinerary was the key to an effortless week. Everyone knew exactly where to be and when.

In order to make it less stressful and much more enjoyable I forced myself to stop all planning a week prior to the big day. If it wasn’t done by then it wasn’t meant to be. I couldn’t be happier I did that – I was able to fully enjoy the last week of a single gal.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Our Wedding Day

Heavy winds & rains were all over the forecast for the entire week of our stay. I did my best to stay off the weather websites &focus on having fun. It paid off. I woke up on February 29th to nothing but sunshine and most importantly – puffy cotton clouds. I was in awe at how beautiful the weather was!

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

The morning was a complete whirlwind. My mom and sister arrived early so we could have room service bring breakfast. Best decision ever! It gave us time to just hang out together before all the madness began. Midway morning, my suite was full with makeup artists, deliveries, the photographer…. and before I knew it I was all dolled up &ready to roll out to the church!

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

DH & I were tickled the entire ceremony. I couldn’t tell you what music we had or what readings we did without looking back at my wedding binder. It was as if he and I were the only two people in that church. We shared our vows and were announced husband &wife. When people say it flies by – they’re not lying!

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

After pictures, we surprised our family with a sunset cruise. We had a BEAUTIFUL schooner all to ourselves. During the sail we had a selection of drinks & finger foods available. With picturesque views we got to see the sun set on one of the happiest days of our life.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Following the sail, *another surprise* in lieu of renting a huge limo or bus to get our guests from the dock to our restaurant for dinner we had a line of petty cabs waiting for us.

The petty cabs were a huge hit! We were shocked & surprise at how much cheering we got while riding down Duval Street. Due to medical limitations we had two family members that were unable to walk the entire strip so it was really nice knowing they got to see all of Duval Street once the sun was down. For those that have never experienced Key West at night – it’s an entirely different experience.

{the bike riders were all super cute – big plus for my single sister!}

• Tina~Bo~Bina
    Master November 2012
    Tina~Bo~Bina ·
    • Flag

Such a gorgeous church! your pics look beautiful, congratulations!

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Our dinner was more delicious than I had ever imagined. I was not about to become the bride that didn’t eat on her wedding day! I tried a little bit of everything we offered on our special menu. Just thinking about it makes my tummy growl!

Our simple cake was beautiful and most importantly – very tasty. If you’re wondering about our cake topper… a month or so after DH proposed he called me up and told me to come over to his house. He showed me a similar topper and said “I want that to be our cake topper. What do you think?” I have never been a fan of cake toppers but I couldn’t resist. The fact that DH found it and wanted it made it all the more special.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Nothing is Perfect.

Say it again. And again. And again. Most brides don’t know the accidents or slip ups because they have fabulous friends & family (or wedding planner) that hides it from them. For giggles… this is what went wrong for me.

My computer crashed 2 weeks prior to the wedding… in the middle of creating our wedding programs. Back up your work!! I had to create the programs from scratch (again) which added a LOT of unnecessary stress.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

I got hit by a car the day before the wedding. Yup. DH & I were riding bikes around the island and we were riding along a sidewalk where other hotel entrances where. An older gentleman driving a large SUV pulled out far past the stop line (he had a red light) & in the middle of the sidewalk – with me – right in front of him. Someone must’ve been looking out for me that day because somehow I walked away without even a scratch. I think the old man almost suffered a heart attack.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

My Advice:

For the Newly Engaged: I HIGHLY reccommend you get the "Real Simple Weddings" magazine. Find it. Buy it. It will explain and walk you through every detail of planning out your wedding day. In addition to the step by step information & commonly asked questions answered they have a mini pullout guide.This pullout guide has checklists, contact sheets and resources to carry with you. Incredibly helpful resource!!! You won't find a million ads in this book like most bridal/wedding mags - it's pure information to educate you on planning your wedding. It's the perfect start to planning your big day!!!

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

SPEND WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD!!!!! Set a budget before all else. Never put down a deposit on a venue until after you do the math and figure out exactly what everything will add up to be. Having an affordable wedding is possible. We paid for our entire wedding ourselves and it was so nice coming home from our DW knowing that everything was already paid off.

It doesn’t matter if you have 500 guests or 5 guests – wedding planning isn’t easy. When it gets frustrating don’t ever be afraid to take a weekend (or two) break and just step away from it. Keep in mind: A wedding essentially just a party. The important part is getting married.

Pick your battles.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

More Advice:

It’s not just your day. There wouldn’t be a wedding without a groom! As silly as his ideas might be, make sure he has a part in the planning. Ask for his opinions – you’d be surprised! There are plenty of men out there that have an idea of what they want their wedding day to be like. They just don’t discuss it or obsess over it like women do. Compromising is one of the keys to a successful marriage. The engagement is a perfect time to start exercising this key.

For those interested in Pre-Marital counseling… I went through Pre-Cana (we got married in a Catholic Church) and bought enough pre-marital books to make up a small library. My #1 recommendation is to buy to book “1001 Questions to Ask Before you Get Married”. Link: http://www.amazon.com/1001-Questions-Ask-Before-Married/dp/0071438033/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340644135&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=1000+quesitons+to+ask+before+you+get+married This book is an incredible workbook that can be done together.

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Be Careful What You Post*** It’s easy to forget but this is a PUBLIC forum which means anyone (member or not) can view & search for every discussion on this website. When you vent about your bridal party/FMIL/guests, use code names NOT their real names. If you wish to remain annonymous don't use your real name and don't post pictures of yourself.

Other super helpful links:

The BEST printable Checklist (timeline, budget, contact forms, vendor listing the guest checklist is very helpful) I basically printed every page for my wedding binder. Then I used WW to cross check what I had completed. Nothing was forgotten or overlooked!

http://www.russellandhazel.com/content/wedding-templates

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Printable PDF checklist/timeline for Bridesmaids/MOH (if the link doesn't work copy and paste it into your URL

http://www.bridesmaidessentials.com/downloads/Bridesmaid%20Pre-wedding%20Timeline-Checklist.pdf

Fun websites with favor ideas/cake toppers/guestbooks & all those other little wedding details:

www.weddingstar.com

http://www.beau-coup.com/themed-wedding-favors.htm

~ CATHOLIC BRIDES ~ I found this website to be incredibly helpful in answering all and any questions I had concerning the church traditions, rules, music, etc. Highly recommended:

(copy and paste in the URL) http://catholicweddinghelp.com/index.htm

• Kimi K
    Master February 2012
  • Kimi K
    Master February 2012
    Kimi K ·
    • Flag

Last but not least ...

Wedding Dress Bustle Ideas

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/lets-discuss-bustles/f164d6d993a44c4b.html?page=1

Airbrush VS. Regular Makeup

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/airbrush-makeup-vs-regular-makeup-all-brides-must-read/fe0e9890b392aa80.html

How to pack your wedding gown (For the DW Brides)

https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/destination-wedding-brides-how-to-pack-travel-with-your-wedding-dress/8587ca4572df5f13.html

Comment on this discussion